HELP: “Drive Mode Selection Not Available” - NOT Exhaust Valve Related

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Shelby GT350
Hi All,

Dealing with some frustration on this particular issue. For reference, I’m driving a stock 2017 Shelby GT350.

I was at an autocross event (in Track Mode) and towards the end of my runs, about halfway through a lap, my exhaust valves closed and I noticed my drive mode had reset to Normal. I parked it, opened the valves back up but when I went to change the drive mode I got a screen error that said “Drive Mode Selection Not Available”. Simultaneously, when I went to back up, my back up camera is only a blue screen before turning black and then delivering the “Rear View Camera is Unavailable. Please See Your Dealership”.
I have read other threads around this issue but my exhaust valves and steering modes are working fine (I can hear the exhaust valves check at startup). When I start the vehicle, the Gauge Cluster center display flashes the drive mode icon a few times and then stops. I believe there is some sort of electrical issue or something wrong in the ECU/PCM. The drive home from the track was interesting, more noise from the suspension from ever and the car would “float” over bumps in the road like a Buick/Boat. Feels like there is no dampening at all and if there is, each wheel has a different dampening rate (feels incredibly unbalanced). I’ve never encountered this issue before on any track days and I had the car inspected recently with no issues (Tech Inspection). I believe the rear view camera is just the recalled wiring harness issue (trunk light is out too, turns on briefly if I mess with the point where it rubs).
Possibly, the control unit for reverse near the transmission could be borked and the car thinks it’s in reverse and would lock out drive mode selection, however; it would not explain the blinking Drive Mode icon on the display at startup or the complete lack of dampening/suspension “float”.
Has anyone dealt with this before or have any clue what may be wrong? Possible troubleshooting steps on this? I’m wary the dealership is going to just be lazy and want to replace the entire Magneride and charge me a fortune (out of warranty) as they tried with the AC Compressor which just turned out to be a bad AC Clutch. Advice?
Sponsored

Park

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT, 20 Mustang EB and 21 Bronco Sport
Good luck guy, I have no idea. So I probably shouldn’t be posting. I don’t know much but I realized 22 years ago when the aircraft I was flying landed itself, we are all in big trouble. Dang computers.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
So I got an ODB-II code run, came back with code U0122-00: Lost Communication with VDM. I can’t, for the life of me, locate where the VDM is on this car so I can check wires. Anyone know? Also found the driver’s side motor mount/bushing is cracked so that explains the vibration. Wondering how much the cost will be to fix that too :curse:

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
So I got an ODB-II code run, came back with code U0122-00: Lost Communication with VDM. I can’t, for the life of me, locate where the VDM is on this car so I can check wires. Anyone know? Also found the driver’s side motor mount/bushing is cracked so that explains the vibration. Wondering how much the cost will be to fix that too :curse:
VDM is the suspension controller which explains your floaty suspension and the drive mode failures. It’s located in the trunk on the passenger side behind the trim panel. Easy to access/inspect.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
@Egparson202 I pulled the VDM earlier, inspected the unit (module was perfectly fine), checked out the harness and wiring, all appeared fine as well. Checked out the #25 fuse under the passenger side fuse relay for the VDM and it was still intact/not blown. So now I’m at a loss.

Part of me wonders if there’s a BCM issue upstream as it’s on the same network, or if there’s a way to test out the VDM module on another harness to see if the control board has shorted somehow.

In either case, the car has low miles and has only been driven hard twice, so if this very expensive module that’s critical to the suspension has failed, that’s incredibly unacceptable on Ford’s part.

Sponsored

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
I’d be surprised if the VDM is bad. But it shouldn’t be too tough to arrange a swap out with another Shelby.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Have you looked at ride height sensors ? Damper wiring ?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Did you get the recall performed for the back up camera trunk wiring?

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Have you looked at ride height sensors ? Damper wiring ?
Pardon my ignorance, where are these particular sensors and wiring located? How can I inspect them for integrity and ensure they are functioning properly? (What to look out for?) Thanks in advance!

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Pardon my ignorance, where are these particular sensors and wiring located? How can I inspect them for integrity and ensure they are functioning properly? (What to look out for?) Thanks in advance!
Damper wiring comes out of the bottom / top of the damper (shocks), ride height sensors are on the lower control arm in the rear and tension arm (if I remember correctly) in the front. They're all hard to miss once you get the wheels off.

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
Check all fuses and report. On my gt when the wiring harness on the passenger muffler contacted the body it caused issues with reverting back to closed valves. I believe if you have magneride it is part of the same set of systems. Exhaust/magneride/revmatching. Check all fuses and let us know

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
@silverbullet85 pulled all the fuses for both the engine and passenger compartment last night, all fuses look good. @kz checked out all four wiring harness points at the dampeners last night as well and they look great. Really scratching my head here as to what has caused the problem now. I’m starting to think that maybe the wiring harness recall for the rear view camera may have torqued the VDM wiring as they com into the trunk at the same point. I’m gonna see if I can grab a multimeter and test the connections.

Any other ideas or advice is greatly appreciated! Also if anyone knows a Ford master technician on here, maybe they can chime in on how they would diagnose.