Sponsored

EU specs / options / schedule

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
£45k is still good value for a V8 with a stick shift that can hit 60 in low 4s and looks as unique as a Mustang - can't think of many cars like that at any price!
Sponsored

willisit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Monaro, DeLorean, Viva, S5, 600F
I guess the question is "What else is there?". For example, when selling my wife's S5, she tasked me with a replacement. It to be quick, manual, 4wd, but with 4/5 doors (the S5 was painfully impractical with older relatives) and the same air of quality.

We bought an S1. I looked high and low and there are almost no options. Was it cheap? HELL NO, but we paid it anyway as it ticked all the boxes.

Will the Mustang have the same (non)Challengers? I bet.. so why not? 4-pot F-type? I can't think of much unless you conceed defeat on gearbox, driven wheels etc yada.

I'm no fan of that nose, but I'd learn to love it if I were in the market. Luckily I am not.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Lets also remember something else, it is early reviews that sell cars.

That is why Ford launch cars at aggressive prices, then a few months later the price rockets, now in the US this is still important but less so. In the EU/UK this is more important, Ford still need to win reviews for Mustang and review criteria always looks at price.

The MY15 in one way they made it too cheap as the reviews in their wisdom compared the Mustang to stuff like BMW M4, whereas at launch it was competing more with say a loaded BMW 435i.

But still if Ford hand reviewer a GT PP with 10-speed and mag ride, the important stuff for performance data and lap times and can say car with said options is sub 45k the reviewers will be simply saying what car offers this level of handling, performance and is a true drivers car at this money, in short they can look at the slightly more expensive M2 or Cayman GTS but which all fall short in the engine department.

I just spec'd an M2 out of curiosity, it was £51,000 with M-DCT and some other options, no idea if their are discounts available but that is I believe a 4.4s to 60mph car and does quarter in around 12.5s and handles nice and is BMW's current best drivers car. If a 2018 Mustang is faster in a straight, a little behind in the twisty bits, sounds better and has as good general feel and is a few grand cheaper it should do well.

Ford will either launch with an aggressive price again, to get favourable reviews and a lot of orders because the more who order, well its a snow ball effect, more and more keep buying, that is until the point where a Mustang becomes as common as a BMW 3 series on the road, but were a long way from that yet.

Lets see, if it is 40k for base, its another bargain and anyone on the fence should go get one. If its more then yes it will sell less for sure, unless it truly competes with the M cars, Porsches of this world, doubtful due to its weight and size.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
if they are 45k base, it is very quickly 50k plus with the desirable options, for many in the UK who just want a nice fast car, well as already mentioned Jag now have an F-Type albeit a 2.0l, Porsche have Cayman S, BMW have the M2 or you can buy a TT RS, which are all around the 50k mark. Though I will admit the Mustang for what you get even at that money is better value, many will see it as not so and as such go and buy the German car.
F-Type 2.0 = always be known as the cheap mans F-type, plus 2litre and slower than stang.

Cayman - 4 pot sounds terrible.

M2 - yes, that's where it the Mustang may meet its match. But the Mustang's design (makes it more difficult with the revised front end though) and engine appeal could edge it.

TT - only if you're a hairdresser and like to own something that handles like a boat (yes, some may say the Mustang handles like a boat but it's allowed to as its cool!)

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess the question is "What else is there?". For example, when selling my wife's S5, she tasked me with a replacement. It to be quick, manual, 4wd, but with 4/5 doors (the S5 was painfully impractical with older relatives) and the same air of quality.

We bought an S1. I looked high and low and there are almost no options. Was it cheap? HELL NO, but we paid it anyway as it ticked all the boxes.

Will the Mustang have the same (non)Challengers? I bet.. so why not? 4-pot F-type? I can't think of much unless you conceed defeat on gearbox, driven wheels etc yada.

I'm no fan of that nose, but I'd learn to love it if I were in the market. Luckily I am not.

This is the issue, all the modern good EU stuff is going boring, 4 and 6 cylinder turbocharged stuff, sorry but its a load of crap. The turbocharged engines in the Boxster/Cayman are woeful, they have lost it. I used to love getting a Cayman or Boxster 2.9 flat 6 for a weekend, it was great fun just thrashing the hell out of it to actually make it go, but it was fun. The new ones lag lag, whoooosh and over, no revs, laggy unless on it, yes there is more performance but to me the whole idea of a sports car is revving the engine out, these new small displacement 4 pots you can't do that, they are poor.

The 6 cylinder options in the 911's and BMW M cars are a lot better and more responsive, but they are twin turbo setups and bigger 6 cylinder engines which all helps.

But this obsession at the moment from manufacturers with twist and pist 4 pots is annoying, they drive like shit, respond like shit, sound shit and rev like shit. All junk! :D

All emission focused, hence enjoy these Mustangs with big NA V8's whilst you can, the S650 is rumoured to be Coyote, but hey who knows even the Mustang could go the way of less cylinders and turbochargers in the future.

I'd never buy a Jag F-type 2.0l, no offence to the EB guys here, but I'd never buy a 2.3l EB Mustang either, to me these cars revolve around their engine and a 4 pot has no place, yes I know its existed before, but for me its a no no.

But I speak from experience having owned all manner of cars with all engine configurations pretty much, all I have not owned yet is V10 and V12, not so fussed about V12, but I definitely need to get myself into a V10 NA at some point even if its an old E60 M5, the sound is glorious, very F1 car like and I mean proper F1 car when they had proper good sounding engines, not the F1 of today as those sound total crud too. :D

F-Type 2.0 = always be known as the cheap mans F-type, plus 2litre and slower than stang.

Cayman - 4 pot sounds terrible.

M2 - yes, that's where it the Mustang may meet its match. But the Mustang's design (makes it more difficult with the revised front end though) and engine appeal could edge it.

TT - only if you're a hairdresser and like to own something that handles like a boat (yes, some may say the Mustang handles like a boat but it's allowed to as its cool!)

You summed that up pretty well! :D

M2 is essentially the next best 50k car, its good value for money. Just does not attract me as I've got my M3.

I think the MY18 will do well, the more aggressive Ford price it, the more they sell.

Sponsored

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I guess the question is "What else is there?"
Not necessarily, for the Mustang enthusiast, it's can I afford one? £30k in my pocket in 2015 & I wouldn't have considered anything else (maybe a classic :))

:lol::lol::lol:

But this obsession at the moment from manufacturers with twist and pist 4 pots is annoying, they drive like shit, respond like shit, sound shit and rev like shit. All junk! :D
I know you say this in jest but I have to disagree, there is a place for these...it's a good way for manufacturers to boost their sales, and yes - it will appeal to the minority but there will be buyers out there looking for that balance of practicality and their car of choice, as was my initial attraction to the EB. Having owned & driven both, I think the sound of the EB is great (granted inside the cabin, not outside) and performance wise the EB was a lot of fun. I don't think I ever took it to the limits that you would but with my driving, the EB is equally as fun to drive as the GT :) don't regret upgrading but do miss the EB!

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not necessarily, for the Mustang enthusiast, it's can I afford one? £30k in my pocket in 2015 & I wouldn't have considered anything else (maybe a classic :))

:lol::lol::lol:

I know you say this in jest but I have to disagree, there is a place for these...it's a good way for manufacturers to boost their sales, and yes - it will appeal to the minority but there will be buyers out there looking for that balance of practicality and their car of choice, as was my initial attraction to the EB. Having owned & driven both, I think the sound of the EB is great (granted inside the cabin, not outside) and performance wise the EB was a lot of fun. I don't think I ever took it to the limits that you would but with my driving, the EB is equally as fun to drive as the GT :) don't regret upgrading but do miss the EB!

I say it in jest yes, I understand the need as the goal of any manufacturer is sell more and make more money, more engine options allow this, especially ones which make attractive cars cost less initially and of course less to run. For many owners cars are purchased purely on looks, why Audi do so well with their S-Line stuff etc.

But you went to a V8, because you wanted a V8, really nothing more needs to be said because lets face it half the fun is just pootling around with the windows down listening to the V8 sing away. :)

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford have ordered a boat load of MY2017 in. Surely they aren't going to order all those in and then the MY18 is a similiar price.
They have probably done that for when the MY18 starts at 45k it makes the 39k MY17 look very attractive
I'd say more likely because they want to carry on selling cars, people are still buying them as a lot of potential buyers won't even know of a facelift model incoming.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
But you went to a V8, because you wanted a V8, really nothing more needs to be said because lets face it half the fun is just pootling around with the windows down listening to the V8 sing away. :)
:amen:

Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
don't forget the jap cars things like the 370 nismo fall in the same kinda price range etc

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
don't forget the jap cars things like the 370 nismo fall in the same kinda price range etc
My mate just got a brand new 370 Nismo this weekend, think he paid 35k for it after some new car discounting.

Its a nice bit of kit, better interior quality, being Nismo its got Recaros and a bunch of other bits.

Do prefer the MT82 though in the Mustang, which is saying something as the MT82 is not amazing.

But yeah the 370Z is nice, but never a car that I'd personally buy, its a step backwards from the Mustang for me personally, but a nice car and a rare site and Nissan have really designed it so it looks like a mini-GTR, a good thing I'd say.

To be honest if I was to try something else, probably just get a GTR, have something thats all about numbers and drives for you within reason, though the whole playstation car is bollocks, those who have driven them will know they are actually very much a drivers car and a very good one, but you do need to go quick to feel entertained.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Did you remove the ham sandwich from the air box yet? :D
Haha not yet...got my springs/spacers going on tomorrow @ GT101 which will tie up my first round of cosmetic mods.

Then my focus will turn to "go faster" mods :cheers:

Eclipsar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NFG Mustang GT
Haha not yet...got my springs/spacers going on tomorrow @ GT101 which will tie up my first round of cosmetic mods.

Then my focus will turn to "go faster" mods :cheers:
Thought it would already be quicker than what you were used to :D

By the way think you need to change your signature
Sponsored