Essential businesses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I was at the tile shop last night. Our governor is issuing an order to close non-essential businesses. The guy at the tile shop said that the states that have closed down non-essential businesses have still allowed branches of this tile business to stay open.

So how many of you work in "essential" businesses? What type of business?
Sponsored

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
I work for a regional food and beverage vending operation. We have equipment in most of the hospitals in our area which covers the entire southwest portion of our state. I am service manager which also includes security and I/T. 92% of our 3200 machines have cellular telemetry so we know when to fill them and what they need. Me and my team are at high risk since we are in hospitals and nursing homes an a daily basis.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I work for local county government, specifically in parks but we've closed them down to the public this week but are still operating. We're part of the emergency response activation and one park is currently a drive-thru testing site, more may open for the same or at least staging for supplies throughout the county.

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Both of your examples make sense to me. I wasn't sure what was essential about a tile shop, though. I'm glad they will be able to keep doing business, don't get me wrong.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
Both of your examples make sense to me. I wasn't sure what was essential about a tile shop, though. I'm glad they will be able to keep doing business, don't get me wrong.
The tile shop was pushing the limits of "suppliers of home repair/maintenance & building materials."

Sponsored

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I've heard that my company will be an essential business. We are in the semiconductor test industry. Not sure why we are essential, but I'm glad to have work. I mostly feel bad for people who want to work but currently can't.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I'm in grocery wholesale distribution. We are busting at the seams right now, hiring warehouse personnel and drivers. It's actually a great industry when times are tough. We have eight grocery D.C.'s throughout the Midwest. Our warehouse inventory levels initially dropped over 15%, but we've been able to start replenishing them since the initial onslaught has subsided a bit. The grocery shelves will continue to be stocked, at least in the Midwest and South, although it's still difficult for even us to get much toilet paper.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
My corporation is largely involved in print media, and portions of the business are considered essential since they support many aspects of public life. In turn, our engineering group supports them. The health crisis has severely impacted our business and we have taken substantial pay reductions for now, but we will be continuing to go to work. Just a few minutes ago, our head handed out our "hall passes", a document that we can produce if needed when in transit to show that we are OK to be out and about. There isn't much staff in our building and we're pretty spread out, so I feel safer here than anywhere but home.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2020 GT350R, 2020 Explorer ST
I’ve been in healthcare since I first worked for my grandfather in the summer of 1981 in his optical business with the exception of the summer of 1987 where I worked as a non-armed security guard after college prior going to med school. So, I am essential presently and thankful. But I realized this little tidbit that is somewhat off topic. In the nearly 40 years of the various endeavors, 1987 was the only year that I have ever worked with Mustang enthusiasts/owners, and quite frankly it was perhaps the best summer to boot. There were 2 college age fellas that got a job a together who both owned a Mustang GT. One had a 1986, the other had a 1987. We used to cruise and shoot the bull that summer. Good times. If you came in a time machine and said in 2020 that there was a virus that would shut down the world economy in a matter of 3 months, I would have laughed in your face and replied that nothing could be more serious than HIV. In my college studies, HIV was becoming an epidemiological concern and AZT was just about to become a treatment option. However the virulence of the virus was quite devastating, it was a death sentence in motion just waiting for the immune system to fail and become a victim of the various pathogens that lurks in the environment naturally. It is really strange how life or existence for that matter can seem like a throw of the dice. “Why does it happen? Because it happens. Roll the bones. Roll the bones.” Just my 2 cents and I hope you all can continue to stay safe and healthy. :fistbump:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Went to the paint store today. I guess they are essential. Glad they are open.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
We own an electric forklift service company. We are definitely essential because we provide support (repairs, sales) for companies like Clorox, food suppliers, can manufacturers, paper goods suppliers, medical label printers, beer, wine and spirits distributors (haha, I know). I'm a drinker, so that doesn't bother me.

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Roushcharged F150, 2016 GT350R, 2013 Boss 302LS, 2009 GT/CS, 2000 Cobra R, 1995 Cobra R
Vehicle Showcase
My veterinary offices are still open and treating patients.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
My industry has been deemed essential. I work for a large construction company and manage an engineering section of it.

Hobohunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2007 Audi S4, 2016 Mustang GT/CS (sold)
I'm a power plant operator at a dam. Still essential since everybody still uses electricity, and the river keeps flowing regardless of if we're there or not. Definitely glad to keep working, but we're lucky in that our non-essential employees still get paid.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.