Sponsored

ESS Centrifugal Mustang Superchargers

Colin1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1, 2015 VW GTI PP
I don’t know why companies have such issues with hose clamps. When I bought my JLT intake they sent the wrong clamps too lol.

blue5.slow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base, M/T
** WALL OF TEXT WARNING **

Just finished my install up and got the first start done! Great kit and a pretty easy install.

A few notes from the install that would have been beneficial to know:
  • My kit didn't come with the correct clamp for the intercooler to supercharger connection, they were all to big or to small. I needed a 3.5 in clamp which was a PIA to source locally.
  • If you have a Performance Pack car, when you remove the crash bar, There are nuts behind the inner 4 bolts, I didn't realize this and made a mess of the threads there, I was able to salvage it, but could have saved myself some hassle had I realized that.
    • Someone else suggested moving the intercooler brackets behind the crash bar all together, I wound up doing this and using the above nuts to secure it there, then the crash bar is flush like OEM. If you do this, I suggest placing it there initially, not after connecting the charge pipes, it's a PIA to move after.
  • The coolant hose that connects to the 90 degree thermostat housing needs a different clamp than the factory unit, I learned this the hard way on the test drive and had the opportunity to replace a large portion of my coolant and clean my engine bay. That's my fault, but some of the instructions don't clearly spell it out.
  • Another clamp issue, I couldn't get any of the included clamps to fit for the air filter adapter to the silicone intake pipe, there was one clamp that fit the filter to adapter, but there wasn't another for the second connection.
  • I had 3-4 4in clamps leftover from my install, they were either too big, or too small to be used.
  • The supercharger, intercooler, and brackets are awesome quality.
I would say you need a 1.5-1.75 hose clamp for the thermostat housing, a 3.5 in for the charge pipe to supercharger connection, and a 4.25-4.5 clamp for the air filter connection. Not a huge expense, but a frustration if you don't have them ahead of time and need to stop in the middle of the install to get them. I'd say I have about 15 hours overall into the install, that includes the fuel pump, spark plugs, injectors, and ESS kit. I took my time with the install and that figure includes the misc trips to get something I needed.

Overall I really enjoyed the install and I'm excited to get some miles on it. Waiting for the final ok from Wengerd for WOT after my data logs, but the car feels pretty tame driving it like normal which is what I was hoping for, hoping for a lady in the streets, freak in the sheets type of setup. Once it's broken in I'll go for another dyno run to see the gains, the baseline run showed 414 hp and 398 tq.

PXL_20220508_175709861.jpg

PXL_20220509_222451381_2.jpg
Dude this is really helpful information. Thanks for sharing!

frestylmotox01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1, 18 F150 Lariat
Glad to share something useful. Like I said, its a great kit and if I can save someone some frustration while they do their install, I'll be happy.

Veteran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT white
** WALL OF TEXT WARNING **

Just finished my install up and got the first start done! Great kit and a pretty easy install.

A few notes from the install that would have been beneficial to know:
  • My kit didn't come with the correct clamp for the intercooler to supercharger connection, they were all to big or to small. I needed a 3.5 in clamp which was a PIA to source locally.
  • If you have a Performance Pack car, when you remove the crash bar, There are nuts behind the inner 4 bolts, I didn't realize this and made a mess of the threads there, I was able to salvage it, but could have saved myself some hassle had I realized that.
    • Someone else suggested moving the intercooler brackets behind the crash bar all together, I wound up doing this and using the above nuts to secure it there, then the crash bar is flush like OEM. If you do this, I suggest placing it there initially, not after connecting the charge pipes, it's a PIA to move after.
  • The coolant hose that connects to the 90 degree thermostat housing needs a different clamp than the factory unit, I learned this the hard way on the test drive and had the opportunity to replace a large portion of my coolant and clean my engine bay. That's my fault, but some of the instructions don't clearly spell it out.
  • Another clamp issue, I couldn't get any of the included clamps to fit for the air filter adapter to the silicone intake pipe, there was one clamp that fit the filter to adapter, but there wasn't another for the second connection.
  • I had 3-4 4in clamps leftover from my install, they were either too big, or too small to be used.
  • The supercharger, intercooler, and brackets are awesome quality.
I would say you need a 1.5-1.75 hose clamp for the thermostat housing, a 3.5 in for the charge pipe to supercharger connection, and a 4.25-4.5 clamp for the air filter connection. Not a huge expense, but a frustration if you don't have them ahead of time and need to stop in the middle of the install to get them. I'd say I have about 15 hours overall into the install, that includes the fuel pump, spark plugs, injectors, and ESS kit. I took my time with the install and that figure includes the misc trips to get something I needed.

Overall I really enjoyed the install and I'm excited to get some miles on it. Waiting for the final ok from Wengerd for WOT after my data logs, but the car feels pretty tame driving it like normal which is what I was hoping for, hoping for a lady in the streets, freak in the sheets type of setup. Once it's broken in I'll go for another dyno run to see the gains, the baseline run showed 414 hp and 398 tq.

PXL_20220508_175709861.jpg

PXL_20220509_222451381_2.jpg

[/QUOTEvery helpful. This and similar posts regarding ess should be a sticky.

Sponsored

Siege

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible PP1, 2003 Marauder Trilogy S/C #250, 1992 Mustang 5.0 Notch
Thanks for the great tips in your post! So for the intercooler brackets you just reused the nuts from the PP1 braces to mount the intercooler behind the bumper mounts?
Screenshot_20220510-182000_Samsung Notes.jpg

Also, looking at the ESS instructions it looks like the way they have the PCV configured pulls unmetered air into the intake. Has anyone had issues with a lean idle following instructions? Would prefer to keep the PCV system operational instead of breathers but the blow through MAF setup makes this complicated.

Screenshot_20220510-174028_Samsung Notes.jpg

frestylmotox01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1, 18 F150 Lariat
For the intercooler, yes, I reused those nuts without issue. Knowing they are there, you can throw a wrench on the back and hold them while you twist the bolt head up front. I didn't realize they were there and buggered up the threads a bit, but I was able to save them and make it work.

I modified the PCV according to their instructions and have had no issues so far. Wengerd checked my logs and said it all looked good. So it shouldn't be an issue. Just to be clear, the original goes from the intake to the valve cover, and so does the new connection. I've attached a crappy pic for you.

PXL_20220510_225111189.jpg

Siege

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible PP1, 2003 Marauder Trilogy S/C #250, 1992 Mustang 5.0 Notch
Thanks! I'll try the intercooler mounting the same way when my kit gets here.

@Brevin@ESS Do you have a list of the clamp sizes needed for installation of the G3 kit?

Platinum_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2021 10R Whipple
I also learned that they only rate the pulley psi at 7000rpm. Kinda sneaky in my opinion, and risky to the car. If you buy a 9psi or 10 and think that's what you will be running then, yes, at 7000rpm you will be but anything above that and you'll be making almost 2psi more. Buyer beware.

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
Good info.

now… the secret sauce lol… injector size? Bap? Different pump? What kind of spark plugs? Pulley size? Lol

Sponsored

Reddevil5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Slim
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
Anyone who ordered in April get their kit yet? I’m a month in, hoping it gets here soon because the tuner I’m going to use is booking up fast with warm weather approaching.
Ordered 4/9 and was told on may 5th that it should ship by the end of next week lol.

SupremeFocus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1 10R80
I also learned that they only rate the pulley psi at 7000rpm. Kinda sneaky in my opinion, and risky to the car. If you buy a 9psi or 10 and think that's what you will be running then, yes, at 7000rpm you will be but anything above that and you'll be making almost 2psi more. Buyer beware.
What’s the stock redline on your car without the tune bumping it up ?

Platinum_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2021 10R Whipple