ESS Centrifugal Mustang Superchargers

Brevin@ESS

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT
** WALL OF TEXT WARNING **

Just finished my install up and got the first start done! Great kit and a pretty easy install.

A few notes from the install that would have been beneficial to know:
  • My kit didn't come with the correct clamp for the intercooler to supercharger connection, they were all to big or to small. I needed a 3.5 in clamp which was a PIA to source locally.
  • If you have a Performance Pack car, when you remove the crash bar, There are nuts behind the inner 4 bolts, I didn't realize this and made a mess of the threads there, I was able to salvage it, but could have saved myself some hassle had I realized that.
    • Someone else suggested moving the intercooler brackets behind the crash bar all together, I wound up doing this and using the above nuts to secure it there, then the crash bar is flush like OEM. If you do this, I suggest placing it there initially, not after connecting the charge pipes, it's a PIA to move after.
  • The coolant hose that connects to the 90 degree thermostat housing needs a different clamp than the factory unit, I learned this the hard way on the test drive and had the opportunity to replace a large portion of my coolant and clean my engine bay. That's my fault, but some of the instructions don't clearly spell it out.
  • Another clamp issue, I couldn't get any of the included clamps to fit for the air filter adapter to the silicone intake pipe, there was one clamp that fit the filter to adapter, but there wasn't another for the second connection.
  • I had 3-4 4in clamps leftover from my install, they were either too big, or too small to be used.
  • The supercharger, intercooler, and brackets are awesome quality.
I would say you need a 1.5-1.75 hose clamp for the thermostat housing, a 3.5 in for the charge pipe to supercharger connection, and a 4.25-4.5 clamp for the air filter connection. Not a huge expense, but a frustration if you don't have them ahead of time and need to stop in the middle of the install to get them. I'd say I have about 15 hours overall into the install, that includes the fuel pump, spark plugs, injectors, and ESS kit. I took my time with the install and that figure includes the misc trips to get something I needed.

Overall I really enjoyed the install and I'm excited to get some miles on it. Waiting for the final ok from Wengerd for WOT after my data logs, but the car feels pretty tame driving it like normal which is what I was hoping for, hoping for a lady in the streets, freak in the sheets type of setup. Once it's broken in I'll go for another dyno run to see the gains, the baseline run showed 414 hp and 398 tq.

PXL_20220508_175709861.jpg

PXL_20220509_222451381_2.jpg
Sorry for the trouble and issues with the clamps. You ordered early this year and we have since corrected and updated the clamps to be a perfect fit. I can assure that every new order as of the past few months and moving forward have the correct sized clamps.

The thermostat housing clamp is designed to use the factory ford squeeze clamp. I’m not sure what the trouble there was? We have never had an issue there. Glad you got it sorted out either way.

Glad you are enjoying the kit so far, let me know if you need anything or have any future questions.

Brevin@ESS

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT
I also learned that they only rate the pulley psi at 7000rpm. Kinda sneaky in my opinion, and risky to the car. If you buy a 9psi or 10 and think that's what you will be running then, yes, at 7000rpm you will be but anything above that and you'll be making almost 2psi more. Buyer beware.
Our pulleys are rated at 7200 rpm. This is because they are the same for Gen 2 and 3 cars. 7200 sort of splits the difference between the two. If you rev higher than that you will see higher boost levels. We have pulley recommendation for pump gas on the site when you purchase a kit to avoid people over boosting.

Brevin@ESS

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT
Thanks! I'll try the intercooler mounting the same way when my kit gets here.

@Brevin@ESS Do you have a list of the clamp sizes needed for installation of the G3 kit?
Your kit will come with all of the correct clamps for the G3, no worries. Unless you need them for other reasons I can provide them

Siege

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible PP1, 2003 Marauder Trilogy S/C #250, 1992 Mustang 5.0 Notch
Your kit will come with all of the correct clamps for the G3, no worries. Unless you need them for other reasons I can provide them
Yeah if you can share the size of the intercooler clamps I'd appreciate it.

I was going to pick up black ones so they don't show up through the grille.

Thanks!

Sponsored

Brevin@ESS

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT
Yeah if you can share the size of the intercooler clamps I'd appreciate it.

I was going to pick up black ones so they don't show up through the grille.

Thanks!
For the intercooler clamps you will need 5x 4” t-bolt clamps and one 3.5” t-bolt clamp

frestylmotox01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1, 18 F150 Lariat
Sorry for the trouble and issues with the clamps. You ordered early this year and we have since corrected and updated the clamps to be a perfect fit. I can assure that every new order as of the past few months and moving forward have the correct sized clamps.

The thermostat housing clamp is designed to use the factory ford squeeze clamp. I’m not sure what the trouble there was? We have never had an issue there. Glad you got it sorted out either way.

Glad you are enjoying the kit so far, let me know if you need anything or have any future questions.
If you could share the list that would be great, I've got a few mismatched clamps and I would like to get the correct sized, matching clamps to complete mine.

I didn't have any luck getting that clamp over the thermostat housing, I was able to get it squeezed all the way, but not get it over the knurled edge.

Definitely happy with the kit otherwise and can't wait to get some more miles on it.

Platinum_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2021 10R Whipple
Our pulleys are rated at 7200 rpm. This is because they are the same for Gen 2 and 3 cars. 7200 sort of splits the difference between the two. If you rev higher than that you will see higher boost levels. We have pulley recommendation for pump gas on the site when you purchase a kit to avoid people over boosting.
Thanks for clarifying 👍

Brevin@ESS

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT
If you could share the list that would be great, I've got a few mismatched clamps and I would like to get the correct sized, matching clamps to complete mine.

I didn't have any luck getting that clamp over the thermostat housing, I was able to get it squeezed all the way, but not get it over the knurled edge.

Definitely happy with the kit otherwise and can't wait to get some more miles on it.
I will send you a new updated clamp kit, you can just keep the others as spares.

The squeeze clamp can be tight getting it over the housing but it’s the exact diameter as the OEM one you replaced. A good large set of channel lock pliers usually helps me when installing that clamp but it will go. The worm clamp will work fine as well.

WIST2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I got my install done in one night. Took 2 total days of working on it, one day for the fuel system/plugs and another for the G3 install. I have 12ish hours total into the changes. My only issues were:

1. Broke the clamp on the coolant hose and had to get a replacement.
2. Upgraded the BOV line adapter to a billet one from ICT since I didn't like the plastic tee that was included (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084KW29GK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1TNMI4LHV0ZX&psc=1).
3. Had to relocate the horn, not a big deal but I don't remember anyone talking about it.
4. There are so many little bits that I didn't have. Luckily a buddy (@pittzy23) did his G2 install before me and had everything I needed.

Overall its a great kit and everything felt high quality (aside from the plastic tees as listed above). I'm working with PBD on the tuning so hopefully I will have some dragy and track times to share for a G3X with a 110 pulley on E85.

G3X Installed.JPG
Parked.jpg

Sponsored

frestylmotox01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
I got my install done in one night. Took 2 total days of working on it, one day for the fuel system/plugs and another for the G3 install. I have 12ish hours total into the changes. My only issues were:

2. Upgraded the BOV line adapter to a billet one from ICT since I didn't like the plastic tee that was included (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084KW29GK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1TNMI4LHV0ZX&psc=1).
3. Had to relocate the horn, not a big deal but I don't remember anyone talking about it.
4. There are so many little bits that I didn't have. Luckily a buddy (@pittzy23) did his G2 install before me and had everything I needed.

Overall its a great kit and everything felt high quality (aside from the plastic tees as listed above). I'm working with PBD on the tuning so hopefully I will have some dragy and track times to share for a G3X with a 110 pulley on E85.

G3X Installed.JPG
Parked.jpg
Thanks for mentioning the horn! I completely forgot to put that in my post. Where did you relocate to or how did you maneuver yours? I wound up twisting the bracket down, adjusting the horns slightly, and calling it a day, but I would have like to have known this ahead of time. @Brevin@ESS That would be a useful addition to the install guide, what does ESS recommend doing with the horns?

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2

G3X Installed.JPG
Parked.jpg
Hi. Does the quality seem good compared to like a Procharger? One shop was dogging them saying it's just cheap Chinese crap with a flemsy inlete duct ETC. Thank you for your input. PS. Did you let ESS Know of the missing parts so they can make sure all future kits are 100% complete. As fard as plastic fitting, elbows etc, I do not like them at all. Hopefully ESS will include the brass or steel ones. Let us know how it Dynos. Thanks

frestylmotox01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
I will send you a new updated clamp kit, you can just keep the others as spares.

The squeeze clamp can be tight getting it over the housing but it’s the exact diameter as the OEM one you replaced. A good large set of channel lock pliers usually helps me when installing that clamp but it will go. The worm clamp will work fine as well.
Got the tracking for the kit, thank you! I squeezed that clamp to the point of almost breaking the little stopper on it and wasn't able to fit it over the housing, not sure what the issue was there, but either way the temp clamp has been successful in holding strong so far.

WIST2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Hi. Does the quality seem good compared to like a Procharger? One shop was dogging them saying it's just cheap Chinese crap with a flemsy inlete duct ETC. Thank you for your input. PS. Did you let ESS Know of the missing parts so they can make sure all future kits are 100% complete. As fard as plastic fitting, elbows etc, I do not like them at all. Hopefully ESS will include the brass or steel ones. Let us know how it Dynos. Thanks
I think the kit is better than my vortech v3 I had previously. I wasn’t missing any pieces, I just don’t like the cheap dorman plastic stuff and opted to buy my own. My kit had everything needed for install.

WIST2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Thanks for mentioning the horn! I completely forgot to put that in my post. Where did you relocate to or how did you maneuver yours? I wound up twisting the bracket down, adjusting the horns slightly, and calling it a day, but I would have like to have known this ahead of time. @Brevin@ESS That would be a useful addition to the install guide, what does ESS recommend doing with the horns?
I basically did the same thing as you. There was plenty of room after rearranging the orientation of the bracket and horns.
Sponsored