Sponsored

Error codes p0103 and p0104 mass air flow issues?

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
A month ago I was coming to a stop after cruising on the highway and datalogging e85 tune for a while, car was running fine on the highway but then at a redlight the car went rough and was running very rough, I drove it home and parked it and got these 2 codes p0103 and p0104. The codes went away when I restarted the car and it was running fine. I looked at the MAF sensor connection and it looked fine but I plugged it in a bit harder and it seemed to be fine for months, until today.

Today I was coming off the highway just like last time and came to the same redlight, car went rough again and I got an error message saying "drive modes not available, see manual" then when I tried to accelerate it wouldnt accelerate at all I could barely do 5 mph, had to limp to a gas station. I checked for codes and it was the same codes p0103 and p0104, restarted the car without doing anything and it was fine again...

I did have a K&N filter during the first time this happened and I had cleaned my sensor. This happened like a month after I cleaned the sensor. For this most recent time I have a afe magnumflow filter in.. I guess I will look at the sensor again and clean it again and hope for the best? I dont know what to do other than that - Or should I just replace the sensor? Can a bad reading hurt the car if it happens during acceleration?

Also kind of considering taking it to the dealer with the e85 tune on and the AFE magnumflow filter in but I wonder if they would blame the filter. I could put the stock filter in I guess..

Anyone have this issue before, or have any suggestions? Thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Replaced the MAF sensor with a new one, everything was fine for a few days but then the same exact thing happened, wrench and check engine light came on for code p0103 and my car turned off while I was rolling into a gas station.. Had to unplug and replug the MAF sensor and it ran fine on the drive home. I was on my way to the dragstrip for my first visit ever but just turned around after this issue =/ Guess I will be taking the car to the dealer on monday.

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the same issue
Dealer replaced the sensor again with a new OEM sensor and it was fine for a few weeks but it started happening again. I was having my car hesitate on acceleration occasionally earlier today but the wrench didnt come on. The wrench light did come on about a week ago though and went away when I unplugged and replugged it.

I replaced the MAF sensor earlier today with the cheapest one I could find on ebay just to try a different brand of sensor and it hasnt happened again yet, but its only been a day. Car seems to run fine so far with this cheap ass $16 sensor though :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mass-Air-Flow-Sensor-MAF-For-Ford-Explorer-Mustang-Fiesta-Edge-MKZ-8V21-12B579/332509997837?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Whats your mods heavy?

I have no idea whats causing my issue and neither does my dealer or tuner, they said they may try replacing the ECU as their next option but I decided to just try this cheap ass sensor for now.

Sponsored

HeavyHittersMaryland

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Haha I hope your problem stays away. I have a cobra jet intake vmp twin 69 and ford racing cold air along with full exhaust headers back and am running e85. It’ll run fine for a period of time but then the service advance track light will come on along with maf codes. My maf sensor voltage jumps to 0 when it flashes. I don’t have a cut or broken wires, no vacuum leaks, clean filter clean maf, I think it’s tune related, I’m going to throw it on the scanner tomorrow.

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Haha I hope your problem stays away. I have a cobra jet intake vmp twin 69 and ford racing cold air along with full exhaust headers back and am running e85. It’ll run fine for a period of time but then the service advance track light will come on along with maf codes. My maf sensor voltage jumps to 0 when it flashes. I don’t have a cut or broken wires, no vacuum leaks, clean filter clean maf, I think it’s tune related, I’m going to throw it on the scanner tomorrow.
I first got the problem while on my pbd e85 crackle tune with the stock airbox with k&n filter but I dont know if that could be related to this issue. I also have electric cutouts but I dont know or think that is related either. Mine usually does a stumble then a few minutes later says "drive modes not available" and the wrench comes on and I cant accelerate above 2 mph unless I pull over and unplug then replug the MAF sensor then the car seems fine again for a while. A few times I did get the check engine light to come on with the above stated codes.

I guess we do have e85 in common but I did replicate the issue after going back on 93 octane and stock tune, stock air filter, 100% stock everything and cutouts controller disconnected.

Cleaning the MAF did not work, replacing with new OEM Maf didnt work (twice) and I am now on my 4th maf sensor which is this cheap one. Currently on my e85 crackle tune and a k&n filter and yes, hoping it doesnt happen again. But if it does happen again my plan is to switch back to 93 octane, stock tune, stock filter and drive until I get a check engine light then take back to the dealer and see what they say and maybe get a new ECU..

If you have a pbd burble tune I suppose that could be a clue because thats something we could have in common.. Who is your tuner?

HeavyHittersMaryland

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I’m tuned with Lund we have some similarities but also differences mine happens with e85 and 93 I get cel and service advancedtrac And wrench every time but I do not have to pull over I can drive it low rpm no problem. I have heard that these tuners can fry our pcms with these bs email tunes, but I think we are ok there. I think the tunes need tweaking I’ll update on anything I find!

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Im still having this issue occasionally. That replacement MAF seemed to work for a while then I got lean codes without much symptoms, I think it was failing so I went back to stock brand MAF and got the same exact wrench light issue as originally. Not sure what to do really..

HeavyHittersMaryland

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
After a long pain staking process I found my issue and fixed it. After I installed everything the way I ran my maf sensor plug was very tight and after awhile of engine movement and heat yadayada the wire had a lot of tension a pulled out slightly. I open the connector and pushed the wires back in so they were making full contact(not intermittent) and the problem was gone. I ordered a jms harness extender bc no matter which way I routed the harness it was tight. The jms extension allows for plenty of slack.
F6760FE9-FD96-4DC0-B54E-8F3D4D5C28C3.jpeg
AC90BEDB-4848-40AE-805F-3ACFEA7ACE27.jpeg

Sponsored
OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmm, Well I have the stock intake and manifold and its not tight at all, so this probably isnt my issue. Thanks for the reply though.