Sponsored

Engine build

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Out of all the pics in this thread, the most interesting thing is the Skyline in front of the garage, not that pics of engine build or all these metal pieces aren't interesting ;-)
Sponsored

OP
OP

Kjewer1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang, 92 Eagle Talon
Looking good, Kevin. I'm glad to hear the new engine is running well.
Thanks Dave. You guys have been a huge help throughout this process.

OP
OP

Kjewer1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
He might be referring to timing of cams , crank , crank sensor/HB . there no keyways on anything so there tools now to aline everything .
That is the bulk of it. There are some others too, some you can get by without, others you can make yourself, etc.

Out of all the pics in this thread, the most interesting thing is the Skyline in front of the garage, not that pics of engine build or all these metal pieces aren't interesting ;-)
It is a pretty sweet car. A real bastard to work on though IMO. The white car you can barely see to the right of it is a low 9 second AWD auto Talon that Kait's been racing this year. All kinds of strange stuff around here lately.

I personally enjoyed the pic of the oil pickup tube...

Thanks for sharing the story.
My pleasure, I'm glad some of you guys have enjoyed it.

And rest assured, the oil pump was replaced. :D

Sponsored

OP
OP

Kjewer1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
The only issue I'm having at this point is a strange surging at WOT, feels like the power comes and goes at about 2hz. When it gets real bad it's more like a misfire and I can just barely hear some noises from under the hood. If it's knock (doesn't sound like it to me) the ECU doesn't seem to be picking it up. It did it before the motor swap, and does it on the Cobb tunes as well. Changing plugs has always fixed it in the past (been through at least 10 sets in 3500 miles, 3 more since the motor swap), but it always comes back. It does seem to get worse with higher boost and better with lower boost. 93 octane or E30 makes no difference.

The owner of that Skyline in the pic is bringing his EBM over. I'm going to steal all of his coils and see if anything improves. I'm meeting a friend at the track tomorrow to use his IDS to relearn the crank sensor/misfire profile. I don't think that's the cause but it's probably a good idea after putting another motor in the car. Other than that I'm out of ideas. Searching here turns up all kinds of threads about misfires, but solutions seem scarce. I'm open to ideas! Hopefully someone else has dealt with this and solved it. The car has been plagued with it since new and it's time to sort it out.

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
Very detailed, nice work.

Im surprised no one brought up that gorgeous R32 Skyline sitting outside his garage.

I know its off topic, but I'm sure some people here (namely myself lol) Would care to know the details behind that car lol.

EDIT: Someone beat me to it.

Care to share the details? More importantly, how is that thing wearing legal plates? Surely it can't be 25 years old yet. Or is it?

Edkiefer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR4ti
The only issue I'm having at this point is a strange surging at WOT, feels like the power comes and goes at about 2hz. When it gets real bad it's more like a misfire and I can just barely hear some noises from under the hood. If it's knock (doesn't sound like it to me) the ECU doesn't seem to be picking it up. It did it before the motor swap, and does it on the Cobb tunes as well. Changing plugs has always fixed it in the past (been through at least 10 sets in 3500 miles, 3 more since the motor swap), but it always comes back. It does seem to get worse with higher boost and better with lower boost. 93 octane or E30 makes no difference.

The owner of that Skyline in the pic is bringing his EBM over. I'm going to steal all of his coils and see if anything improves. I'm meeting a friend at the track tomorrow to use his IDS to relearn the crank sensor/misfire profile. I don't think that's the cause but it's probably a good idea after putting another motor in the car. Other than that I'm out of ideas. Searching here turns up all kinds of threads about misfires, but solutions seem scarce. I'm open to ideas! Hopefully someone else has dealt with this and solved it. The car has been plagued with it since new and it's time to sort it out.
So this surging was happening even before engine blew ?
Just from sound, it sounds or could be fuel area, like low pressure .
I was going to say check for vacuum leaks but if happened before can't be that .

You don't get any codes or anything to give hints ?

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
That skyline is an R32 so it can be between 21 to 26 years old (89-94 Production)

EgoBoost

9/11 Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Black PP GT 6 SPEED

Rent a EB and start swapping parts. If the temporary fix is plugs I'd start swapping in that area. Are the plugs fouling? What gap are you using? Swap out the original fuel filter yet?

Sponsored
OP
OP

Kjewer1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
The R32 meets the 25 years old, she's legal!

I am going to swap those coils when the other EBM shows up. I think that will be a good test. If it still does it, I'm swapping in his plugs after that.

The plugs are all NGK 6510s (tried ITV22s but those didn't work right out of the box). I've tried gaps as low as 024 and as big as 028. My stock plugs were all 030 on the nose IIRC. They generally look pretty good when they come out. I've had a few with cracked porcelain on the outside end. The stock plugs came out cracked too, so I don't think it's my installation method. None the less, I torqued the last set to the factory recommended 106 inch lbs.

Original fuel filter, but this problem showed up with like 1000 miles on the car. Doesn't rule out a fuel filter, but it would take a really bad tank to clog it up that quick. Something like 4200 miles on the car now. I haven't logged fuel pressure in a long time, but I can. I'll do that tonight or tomorrow. I am seeing leaner AFRs at higher boost, 12-13:1 where it used to hold target in the 11s. I blamed that on the alleged misfire but have no way to prove it.

No codes recently aside from the grill shutters and BOV. I need to disable those, but the problem existed before those parts were removed. On first start up I had a random misfire code. Replacing the plugs cleared that up. Then it got a single cylinder misfire twice after that, nothing now in weeks. Even when I can hear it misfiring and watch the motor shake in the engine bay, no codes. Sprayed some water on the coils (whole engine) and no change. Ran with each coil unplugged briefly and no noticeable difference. Running on three cylinders, it looks and sounds exactly like it does on all 4 but obviously much more obvious and much more regular. The idle misfire is pretty intermittent. It will even idle without misfire for up to 30 seconds at a time, but it always comes back.

Thanks for the discussion, keep it coming.

Edkiefer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR4ti
The R32 meets the 25 years old, she's legal!

I am going to swap those coils when the other EBM shows up. I think that will be a good test. If it still does it, I'm swapping in his plugs after that.

The plugs are all NGK 6510s (tried ITV22s but those didn't work right out of the box). I've tried gaps as low as 024 and as big as 028. My stock plugs were all 030 on the nose IIRC. They generally look pretty good when they come out. I've had a few with cracked porcelain on the outside end. The stock plugs came out cracked too, so I don't think it's my installation method. None the less, I torqued the last set to the factory recommended 106 inch lbs.

Original fuel filter, but this problem showed up with like 1000 miles on the car. Doesn't rule out a fuel filter, but it would take a really bad tank to clog it up that quick. Something like 4200 miles on the car now. I haven't logged fuel pressure in a long time, but I can. I'll do that tonight or tomorrow. I am seeing leaner AFRs at higher boost, 12-13:1 where it used to hold target in the 11s. I blamed that on the alleged misfire but have no way to prove it.

No codes recently aside from the grill shutters and BOV. I need to disable those, but the problem existed before those parts were removed. On first start up I had a random misfire code. Replacing the plugs cleared that up. Then it got a single cylinder misfire twice after that, nothing now in weeks. Even when I can hear it misfiring and watch the motor shake in the engine bay, no codes. Sprayed some water on the coils (whole engine) and no change. Ran with each coil unplugged briefly and no noticeable difference. Running on three cylinders, it looks and sounds exactly like it does on all 4 but obviously much more obvious and much more regular. The idle misfire is pretty intermittent. It will even idle without misfire for up to 30 seconds at a time, but it always comes back.

Thanks for the discussion, keep it coming.
yeh, just have to try an nail down issue with as much data ,so you got somewhere to go, but back to basics will work (spark, fuel , compression ).

IMO, set it to stock, especially boost/tune part ,this kind of issue its best to stay stock (as much as possible) so no damage and makes easier to trouble shoot.

PS: when I was research fords ecoboost, there were some DI pump problems, defective , I forget what symptoms were or if codes popped up .

OP
OP

Kjewer1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
On the Cobb stage 0 tune there is no surging at WOT, but the idle misfire is still there. On Cobb stage 1 there is some WOT surging but it's not that bad (just found this today, not sure if I posted it yet). On my tune with even more boost, it's much more pronounced. So it does seem to be related to boost, or at least related to the multitude of other things that change with boost. Idle misfire is there in all cases though. I haven't tried to go back to stock stock, but I'm sure at stock boost there would be no problem at WOT.

Edkiefer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR4ti
On the Cobb stage 0 tune there is no surging at WOT, but the idle misfire is still there. On Cobb stage 1 there is some WOT surging but it's not that bad (just found this today, not sure if I posted it yet). On my tune with even more boost, it's much more pronounced. So it does seem to be related to boost, or at least related to the multitude of other things that change with boost. Idle misfire is there in all cases though. I haven't tried to go back to stock stock, but I'm sure at stock boost there would be no problem at WOT.
Ok, then focus on idle misfire and hopefully when that is fixed it fixes WOT/high boost too .
try and track down the cylinder thats doing it or if its random .
you can switch out plugs and coils to see if one is issue on cylinder that is missing (if its one).
Sponsored