Sponsored

Enclosed Trailer & Towing Help

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I just filmed this video on Sunday... it shows my trailer setup quite well. I pull with a 2010 5.4 F150 super crew cab. I have a 20’ V-nose, dove tail steel enclosed trailer with a driver’s side exit door. I specifically looked for a 20’ V-nose since I am pulling with an F150. A flat front trailer adds a lot of drag. I drove about 1+15 each way and averaged 9 mpg. Keep in mind that as you add length to the trailer, not only do you add weight, but you add surface for crosswinds to grab. A 20’ trailer works great to haul Mustangs around. I hauled my 1st 2020 home from the dealer in this trailer and will haul the 2nd one home as well.

Goose,

I can attest to the cross wind thing, I have a 28 ft mh and 24 ft enclosed trailer.

We trailered the 350 up to SC for a weekend ride thru the mountains. The trip from home to Fl line we had a cross wind a majority of the trip. We started up the 9A bridge in Jax in the middle lane. About 3/4 the way up the wind was pushing so hard I was in the right shoulder fighting it off the rail. I butthole was so puckered that it took 5 miles to relax.
Sponsored

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
Goose,

I can attest to the cross wind thing, I have a 28 ft mh and 24 ft enclosed trailer.

We trailered the 350 up to SC for a weekend ride thru the mountains. The trip from home to Fl line we had a cross wind a majority of the trip. We started up the 9A bridge in Jax in the middle lane. About 3/4 the way up the wind was pushing so hard I was in the right shoulder fighting it off the rail. I butthole was so puckered that it took 5 miles to relax.
Yikes! Sounds like you won the battle, but that had to get the heart rate up!

Curious what your tow vehicle is? My 2010 F150 has a tow capacity of 11,300 lbs. It does a great job with my 20 footer, but I’d definitely want a heavier duty truck with a much bigger trailer.

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Yikes! Sounds like you won the battle, but that had to get the heart rate up!

Curious what your tow vehicle is? My 2010 F150 has a tow capacity of 11,300 lbs. It does a great job with my 20 footer, but I’d definitely want a heavier duty truck with a much bigger trailer.
Have 2 tow vehicles. The main one is my 2003 Tioga E450 Motorhome with the V10. When we travel, we will use it.

If its a short hop or knowing I need to get into a tight space, I use my 2002 7.3L Excursion.

Most of the time, we are using the MH. The mass of the MH blocks the wind to my 24 ft v-nose trailer. When using the Excursion, you know the trailer is there as it is above the truck.

Last point, my trailer is 6" taller than most. I need to make the rear door larger to get my lifted Bronco into it.

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
Have 2 tow vehicles. The main one is my 2003 Tioga E450 Motorhome with the V10. When we travel, we will use it.

If its a short hop or knowing I need to get into a tight space, I use my 2002 7.3L Excursion.

Most of the time, we are using the MH. The mass of the MH blocks the wind to my 24 ft v-nose trailer. When using the Excursion, you know the trailer is there as it is above the truck.

Last point, my trailer is 6" taller than most. I need to make the rear door larger to get my lifted Bronco into it.
I would imagine a motorhome pulling a longer enclosed trailer would have a lot of side panel to grab crosswinds. As a pilot, I am mindful of winds... I’d pay attention to the direction and be prepared for exposure when crossing bridges. Even my 20 footer can get pulled around a bit by crosswinds.

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I would imagine a motorhome pulling a longer enclosed trailer would have a lot of side panel to grab crosswinds. As a pilot, I am mindful of winds... I’d pay attention to the direction and be prepared for exposure when crossing bridges. Even my 20 footer can get pulled around a bit by crosswinds.
I have had numerous experiences with wind. Most of the time, just slow down and dont get in a hurry.

I also have a weight distributing hitch and sway bar set up and that helps ALOT.

Sponsored

gfcobra04

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2000 Cobra R, 94 Lightning, 2020 GT500
Very nice. How long is it and who’s the manufacturer?

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase

Dunk812

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Rapid Red
Very nice. How long is it and who’s the manufacturer?
it's 26 foot and it's a ATC I shopped around and ATC seemed to be a great trailer. They are not the least expensive but when hauling my baby around the east coast I wanted something that was good, I got plenty of bells and whistles that you don't need. ATC modeled my GT500 in the trailer with all the right dimensions not sure of the software but looks similar to solid works. The dropped the dove tail a little and added the ramps that lock in place while towing so that the front will clear the ramp by 3/4 of an inch. With the car in the trailer the door swings in between the wheels of trailer giving you almost full opening of car door to get in and out. I added a tire rack for track tires and wheels The generator/AC/Fridge are for me so when at track or a show for the weekend I have someplace to go if it gets to hot. It has three batteries so can run everything but AC without even turning on generator. attached a few more pics

Attachments

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Jeff: I am completely blown away with that AWESOME trailer! There's even a THERMOSTAT AND GENERATOR! :-) Too cool. Those are some smart and ingenious folks at ATC.

Whatcha pullin' her with...what's she weigh...what's the tongue weight...do you drive her in or winch her... "Enquiring minds" don'tcha know? :-)

Dunk812

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Rapid Red
Jeff: I am completely blown away with that AWESOME trailer! There's even a THERMOSTAT AND GENERATOR! :-) Too cool. Those are some smart and ingenious folks at ATC.

Whatcha pullin' her with...what's she weigh...what's the tongue weight...do you drive her in or winch her... "Enquiring minds" don'tcha know? :-)
I'm pulling her with a F150 with ecoboost V6 twin turbo. Tongue weight is about 800lbs with the weight distribution hitch. She weighs about 3300 dry with a full tank of fuel it's about 3500 fully loaded with car/trailer/extra wheels and tools etc she will be right at 9000lbs. which is about 2000 less then what the F150 can haul. My last trailer weight right at 8K with everything and truck did not even know it was behind her. I plan on driving her in and out but wanted the option to winch her in if necessary. if I find it's too hard to get in and out of car then i will winch her in and out I set her up to winch out with some block and tackle in the back. The winch will control both in and out so my baby will not get away from me. I had a rack also installed to hold my quick jack so I can lift the car easy when at the track to change wheels. The fridge is not something I needed but they put her in for a gift so to speak because of all the other things I did.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Jeff: I've never experienced a load-balancing hitch but if you can pull 8k effortlessly with that pickup, that is quite a feat of engineering.

Copy all the answers, many thanks and even though I have no need for a beauty like that to marry up with my girl, I'd sure like to HAVE one. <smile>

I am going to presume that there are others at the track with equally-elaborate rigs but from where I sit, those two color-coded girls deserve to be at the head of the line. :-)

Dunk812

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Rapid Red
Jeff: I've never experienced a load-balancing hitch but if you can pull 8k effortlessly with that pickup, that is quite a feat of engineering.

Copy all the answers, many thanks and even though I have no need for a beauty like that to marry up with my girl, I'd sure like to HAVE one. <smile>

I am going to presume that there are others at the track with equally-elaborate rigs but from where I sit, those two color-coded girls deserve to be at the head of the line. :-)
I would say my trailer is just above the average their are some that require a semi to haul so to speak hold two cars and have sleeping quarters. I'm a hotel person.......
Sponsored