Sponsored

Ecoboost MPG on new cars

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
14.5mpg from today's fill up. The cluster estimated 15mpg.

I'm still only at a couple hundred miles and just came across this in the driver's manual. I'm also trying to stay under 2k rpm on this tank and I'm already well over 20mpg lol
I'm at 985 mi. Going to change oil/filter this weekend and see if things start to improve.
Sponsored

Billy G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Guard Metallic PP Ordered: 1/23/15
Just curious, what is everyone's MPG on their Ecoboost?

I saw a thread similar to this in the V6 section and I'm curious.
I've got a tad over 1300 miles on my Ecoboost, and while my mileage is still improving, my guess is it won't be "optimal" (as an average) until I get upwards of 4-5k, maybe later.

My highway mileage is fantastic -- I've averaged ~32-34mpg. City wise... not so much, I sit around ~22mpg. I do drive a bit enthusiastically, but just curious.
After 200 miles averaging 26mpg

JoFranko

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frankel
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
I'm avg 36-37 on the loops in Houston at 70 and about 27mpg in town. It depends on the road surface because once I get out of town i avg 28-29 hwy. Getan avg of 390 miles per tank

drudis

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dariusrudis.net
First Name
Darius
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium - SpongeBob Yellow
I am pleased with my MPG.

MAPerformce catless downpipe and full exhaust.
Livernois 93 tune.
Driving 45mph on my way to work at Ford.

Sponsored

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
I seem to get around 34-35mpg on the highway, if I hit cruise control and plop it at 70-75. City is much worse, since I have a tendency to launch it aggressively at lights. Doubt I get much over 20 in the city.

Fortunately my long-ass commute is about 75% highway or so. So I'm averaging just over 29mpg, according to the computer, since I drove it off the lot. Only 450 miles so far, though.

This is an auto, non-pp, with the 3.15 gears, though.

Side note: it did seem to get a little bit better after I cycled through the first tank of 87 octane the dealer put in it. It's all 93 now. But the difference could be just the engine breaking itself in, too.

7jay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Eco PP Auto, 2001 GT
I'm still only at a couple hundred miles and just came across this in the driver's manual. I'm also trying to stay under 2k rpm on this tank and I'm already well over 20mpg lol
Manual or automatic? My automatic seems to burn the least fuel from 19 to 2200 rpm. Which is why the best mileage is about 70 mph.
In traffic, 20-45 mph, watching the instantaneous mpg gauge: Normal driving mode (automatic) seems to keep the selected gear too high=engine speed 14-1800 rpm. Used to call it lugging the engine, and mpg is below 20. In S+ mode, rpm stays above 1900 rpm most of the time, responds to changes in speed quickly, and with a light foot, seems to increase the mpg. Able to hold the instantaneous gauge above the average bar.

Has any one figured out how to tell when the automatic transmission is locked and when it is not? The only time I know it is locked is when in S+ mode and the computer downshifts. I assume the mpg is better when the gear is locked, The lock is supposed to be available in all 6 gears, at least it is in the ZF transmission this is copied from

Sponsored

7jay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone know if using lower grade octane will affect mpg?

You do it Wes, Then let us know.
Octane reduces flashing of the fuel under higher pressures.
Which is why in turbos, the wisdom is to use a higher octane fuel.
Horsepower lowers with the lower octane, it is partly because the computers first priority is to eliminate knock,
Less power with the same weight vehicle should = lower mpg.
Higher octane fuel has lower BTU per gallon because the octane additives lower the density. The higher efficiency of the higher compression lets you get more BTUs from the fuel than you lose from the density difference

But you don't see many dyno tests for partial throttle and fuel consumption. Not very exciting.
If you lose 1 mpg, that is 4 % at 25 mpg.
Premium fuel around here is only 91 octane. costs 10% more than 87
Which = a Starbucks coffee once a week
Which I can't drink in the car anyway because it spills in Sport mode due to the stiffer shock response
The answer to your question is really based on how you drive and your expectations .
As you can tell from the posts on this thread, your mpg is more about how you drive than how I drive

Impulsed7

HPDE Champion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
EB PP track rat...
If you are after mpg's, use lower octane. It has more energy than higher octane, therefore should get you better mpgs if you are not using the full power of the engine. If you want full power (ie the gigantic smile on my face daily, to and from work) go for the premium stuff...

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
Anyone know if using lower grade octane will affect mpg?

You do it Wes, Then let us know.
Octane reduces flashing of the fuel under higher pressures.
Which is why in turbos, the wisdom is to use a higher octane fuel.
Horsepower lowers with the lower octane, it is partly because the computers first priority is to eliminate knock,
Less power with the same weight vehicle should = lower mpg.
Higher octane fuel has lower BTU per gallon because the octane additives lower the density. The higher efficiency of the higher compression lets you get more BTUs from the fuel than you lose from the density difference

But you don't see many dyno tests for partial throttle and fuel consumption. Not very exciting.
If you lose 1 mpg, that is 4 % at 25 mpg.
Premium fuel around here is only 91 octane. costs 10% more than 87
Which = a Starbucks coffee once a week
Which I can't drink in the car anyway because it spills in Sport mode due to the stiffer shock response
The answer to your question is really based on how you drive and your expectations .
As you can tell from the posts on this thread, your mpg is more about how you drive than how I drive
I think you mean Thermal Energy is produced !

Newbie here . Averaged 38 .9 highway on my last trip south . Still breaking this race red fully òptioned what a dream to drive mustang in . Purchased Friday 4/24 15 .. just over 300 miles .
I agree run higher octane fuel and check the spark plug gaps for any inconsistancies from the manufacturer .. assembly plants just put the plugs in . NGK 's are all over the map on spec.world wide .
Research fuel efficient techniques utilized for the best possible MPG for both city and highway driving .

The worst thing in life is a cowboy with out horse .. so I went out and bought a Mustang .
Regards .

7jay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brian V;563852 Averaged 38 .9 highway on my last trip south . .[/QUOTE said:
Welcome Brian.
You must drive good.:cheers:
With the PP and automatic, above 30 mpg on a trip seems to be great.
With variables of terrain, traffic and stop-go, 21-25 is realistic
Sponsored