Ecoboost Idle/RPM

Tpilger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tristan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
So has anyone else had this issue before? I notice that when I have my car in park after driving for a while, the rpm’s sit at about 700 and slowly rise to about 900. No heat/ac on and my car always starts to slowly climb up. I also noticed that from time to time my car when coming to a stop, will dip down to about 595-600 and then when I come to a complete stop it’ll sit there for a sec and go back to 700. Plus I’ll be sitting at a stop and sometimes it’ll dip down to that point, the motor will shake a bit like poor idle and then jump back to 700 like it never happened. And those moments are always really random. Not sure if it’s normal but I’ve learned to deal with it at this point. Figured I’d start a new page on this topic because no one else(that I’ve seen)has mentioned this with their ecoboost.
Sponsored

2020Tang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang ecoboost
Have you checked for any pending codes?Spark plugs been replaced? Low pressure fuel sensor and purge valve been replaced? Check and see if you have the newer LPFS.

OP
OP
Tpilger

Tpilger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tristan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Are there any motor mods done to the car. Mine has a crazy idle flux between 750-890
Oil catch can, new spark plugs. It’s been doing this since I bought the car

OP
OP
Tpilger

Tpilger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tristan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Have you checked for any pending codes?Spark plugs been replaced? Low pressure fuel sensor and purge valve been replaced? Check and see if you have the newer LPFS.
When I first bought my car, the first things I bought was a new LPFS and a JL catch can. I wanted to make sure my car wouldn’t possibly go ecoboom. It didn’t have the newer LPFS so I bought it and replaced it immediately when I first got my car. No codes as well. Only thing I’ve replaced recently was plugs and a purge valve but it’s been doing this since I’ve owned my car from the beginning

Sponsored

Justgonna send it

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 6spd
Then it might just be a characteristic go to the car. You should reach out to parker performance. He dose a lot of ecoboost work.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I'll venture a guess the OP's car is an automatic/1080r.

OP, put the details of your car in the sig like like everyone else, that would be helpful.

2020Tang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang ecoboost
When I first bought my car, the first things I bought was a new LPFS and a JL catch can. I wanted to make sure my car wouldn’t possibly go ecoboom. It didn’t have the newer LPFS so I bought it and replaced it immediately when I first got my car. No codes as well. Only thing I’ve replaced recently was plugs and a purge valve but it’s been doing this since I’ve owned my car from the beginning
Great, sounds like you covered all the “main” things to replace.

I too also have a JLT catch can, you may want to check the fittings on it to make sure they are snug. Check and make sure hose clamps and tight. But I also agree that it just may be one of the characteristics of your car. Mine will idle a bit rough when I use the AC.

OP
OP
Tpilger

Tpilger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tristan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
I'll venture a guess the OP's car is an automatic/1080r.

OP, put the details of your car in the sig like like everyone else, that would be helpful.
How do it do that? I’m still try to learn how to work this forum page. And I have a 18’ ecoboost with the PP and 10r80 transmission

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
How do it do that? I’m still try to learn how to work this forum page. And I have a 18’ ecoboost with the PP and 10r80 transmission
Yes. With an automatic the idle will be stumbling around. That's just part of it.

I can't explain the site, you'll just have to mess around with your profile to figure out adding a signature. Maybe ask your kid or something.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Tpilger

Tpilger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tristan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Great, sounds like you covered all the “main” things to replace.

I too also have a JLT catch can, you may want to check the fittings on it to make sure they are snug. Check and make sure hose clamps and tight. But I also agree that it just may be one of the characteristics of your car. Mine will idle a bit rough when I use the AC.
Any vehicle I’ve ever owned never did that. It’d just idle at 750 and stay there when warm. I just wasn’t sure if this was normal on these mustang ecoboost. I’ve never heard anyone else mention this

OP
OP
Tpilger

Tpilger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tristan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Yes. With an automatic the idle will be stumbling around. That's just part of it.

I can't explain the site, you'll just have to mess around with your profile to figure it out.
Just wasn’t sure if someone’s mustang did the same thing without and oil catch can

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
Just wasn’t sure if someone’s mustang did the same thing without and oil catch can
My mustang seems to idle very consistent right below the 750 rpm line while in drive. Say I am in a drive thru line and ive been waiting of a while and I put it into Park, my idle does go up to about 1k. I would say this is all normal.

I also have a catch can - but I can assure you my car had this behavior before the catch can.

OP
OP
Tpilger

Tpilger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tristan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
My mustang seems to idle very consistent right below the 750 rpm line while in drive. Say I am in a drive thru line and ive been waiting of a while and I put it into Park, my idle does go up to about 1k. I would say this is all normal.

I also have a catch can - but I can assure you my car had this behavior before the catch can.
Okay so I’m not the only one!! This is good news to hear!
Sponsored