FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
if I last 100-200-300-400k miles, im attributing it to amsoil. they've been treating all my motorcycles and dd cars for lsat 7 years without a single hiccup. not sure if it would of helped all the ecobooms, but I think it would of helped some from lspi

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
if I last 100-200-300-400k miles, im attributing it to amsoil. they've been treating all my motorcycles and dd cars for lsat 7 years without a single hiccup. not sure if it would of helped all the ecobooms, but I think it would of helped some from lspi

How would that prove anything, not all of them are blowing up and the ones that do have had random brands of oil which means brand means nothing. I have been running Valvoline fullsyn all of it's life, the only thing that looks to be true is tuned EB's are blowing up at a greater degree than stock. @TurboNub were you running stock plugs or aftermarket?

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
because I havnt read a single one blowing with amsoil engine oil. I ask on every thread I read of eco boom. if you are stock tune, or Cobb tune, or ford perf tune, you really should be running OEM heat plugs. whether rutheniums or regular ngk style. the cobb1/2/3 are designed for oem heat.

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
because I havnt read a single one blowing with amsoil engine oil. I ask on every thread I read of eco boom. if you are stock tune, or Cobb tune, or ford perf tune, you really should be running OEM heat plugs. whether rutheniums or regular ngk style. the cobb1/2/3 are designed for oem heat.

Sounds pretty naive, not here to argue but that's sounds like a desperate hope to the gods Amsoil might have some magical formula to solve LSPI that no one else knows about, you also have to account the pool of Amsoil users is much smaller than the rest do to availability and pricing thus you will hear it less often that's plainly obvious. But yes of course I agree data shows stock plugs are correct heat range.

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@FreePenguin

Looks like pure marketing to me. I bet with the GF-6 standard there will just be less booms across the board in general.

OP
OP
TurboNub

TurboNub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
How would that prove anything, not all of them are blowing up and the ones that do have had random brands of oil which means brand means nothing. I have been running Valvoline fullsyn all of it's life, the only thing that looks to be true is tuned EB's are blowing up at a greater degree than stock. @TurboNub were you running stock plugs or aftermarket?
When you have a pro-tune, NGK plus are a must. I had mine gapped at around 28.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I don't recommend trying to engine swap with zero knowledge and experience. That's an uphill battle. You need special tools too, like an engine crane, fuel line disconnects, etc. Ton of work.

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
https://www.amsoil.com/lander/new-amsoil-signature-series/

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 5.37.29 PM.png

not sure how these matter but here's this under it
Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 5.38.14 PM.png
A good read: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...ase-anti-lspi-signature-series-in-sept.89210/

And to quote:

No oil formulation is a silver bullet, and while I don't think you mean to imply that, most people reading this post are going to get that impression.

Any aftermarket tune that raises the engine load (ie turns up the boost) in the LSPI danger zone increases the risk. There are two reasons for this.

1) LSPI is affected by load (ie, it doesn't happen when you're not in boost) which is primarily increased by boost.
2) Any time you increase the engine load (boost) you change the end of injection timing because you add in more fuel (longer pulsewidth) to account for the additional air. When you change the end of injection timing you can increase impingement on the piston top or cylinder wall, which can contribute to LSPI (hard to say how much risk this adds)

All those people at "half throttle" who encountered LSPI were running tunes that have more aggressive boost control and pedal mapping than stock.

LSPI oil isn't a silver bullet.
Any aftermarket tune is a risk, especially those that turn up the boost at low rpm.
I know locals (one being an Amsoil rep's son) who popped an Ecoboost running Amsoil SS. To say 100% LSPI protection is terrible MLM marketing, not taking away from Amsoil as it is good oil (really so is most oil that meets Ford specs) but to claim "100% LSPI Protection" is pure false advertising period.

Last edited:

DavidEcobeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue 2.3T/AT Mustang
Could have been a head gasket failure. Lots of information regarding ths issue.
SPEED3PERFORMANCE has information on the subject with a full bolt on 93 tuned ecoboom making 360 or so hp. Basically the cylinder pressure escapes into the cooling jacket and the pressure cracks or blows open the block from reversion (stretched tty head bolts=loss of clamping), 2 layer head gasket and cylinder deck and head deck scrubbing of the head gasket weakens the sealing surfaces.

Lspi shouldn't be an issue anymore with SN+ oils which now have a low calcium content.

Sorry for you're loss brother.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Just read the lspi thread on amsoil maybe this is why the new hpp eb has terrible mpg compared to regular super rich to help aid oil to prevent eco booming
Too bad aftermarket tuners don’t follow similar protocols to help engine safety.

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When you have a pro-tune, NGK plus are a must. I had mine gapped at around 28.
I highly doubt that is correct, that is the reason why these plugs foul so quickly even for people that are tuned it's too cold. Charts show you should do 1 step colder for every 75-100hp increase even then not always required, were you making 400hp? I doubt it. One of the mods seems in common with most ecobooms is people change out their plugs, now I have no idea if there is any correlation but it if Engineers and Scientists can barely understand why exactly LSPI happends and how to solve it I doubt anyone on the internet can safely say it's harmless.
Sponsored