Sponsored

E85 Feels like Stalling when coming to a stop to quickly

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I was having this same intermittent rough idle and stalling issue after running the e85 tune for a while and I got the o2 sensor code, so I went back to 93 octane and put the stock tune back on and the code came back on, so I had the dealer replace the o2 sensor. On the way back from the dealer after they replaced the o2 sensor and while I was on the stock tune on 93 octane the car stalled again. No light came on so I switched back to e85 tune for 2000 miles since then and still no light has come on, but I still am having the rough idle issue and stalling issue. Currently I am on my latest e85 tune, but since the same issue thats happening now also happened on 93 octane on the stock tune, and no light is coming on, I am not sure what to do now. I also had my cam phasers replaced after this issue started and it didnt fix the rough idle and stalling. The phasers were not replaced for this issue though , they were replaced for a light rev flutter sound.

I still kind of think its the o2 sensors that may be damaged and not functioning properly but no light is coming on. Or possibly sparkplugs?

IDK but I have the same issue and Ive had it for about 4 months and through Cam phaser replacement and o2 sensor changes, on the e85 tune and also on the stock tune on pure 93 octane and nothing has solved it. I also tried ethanol treatment injector cleaner with no luck.

I have a log of the idle going rough and nearly stalling from earlier today , it happens at 28 minutes 42 seconds to 28 minutes 54 seconds. Here is the log :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f6r13fuir7ebqrb/log0063.csv?dl=0

Anyone else have this issue and successfully solve it, or have any ideas?
Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
This seems to be an auto only issue.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Cam phases did not fix it... Fek! Not stalling, but idle dipping and rough for few seconds?

I’m may try a long shot and replace my fuel vapor sensor. When the battery is unplugged it runs normal for 4-5 key cycles. Weird chit.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
@msweet
Can you drop one of the logs you showed me here?
Someone may be able to convert it into an actual graphic.
Damned if I can make much sense of it as a spreadsheet.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I was having this same intermittent rough idle and stalling issue after running the e85 tune for a while and I got the o2 sensor code, so I went back to 93 octane and put the stock tune back on and the code came back on, so I had the dealer replace the o2 sensor. On the way back from the dealer after they replaced the o2 sensor and while I was on the stock tune on 93 octane the car stalled again. No light came on so I switched back to e85 tune for 2000 miles since then and still no light has come on, but I still am having the rough idle issue and stalling issue. Currently I am on my latest e85 tune, but since the same issue thats happening now also happened on 93 octane on the stock tune, and no light is coming on, I am not sure what to do now. I also had my cam phasers replaced after this issue started and it didnt fix the rough idle and stalling. The phasers were not replaced for this issue though , they were replaced for a light rev flutter sound.

I still kind of think its the o2 sensors that may be damaged and not functioning properly but no light is coming on. Or possibly sparkplugs?

IDK but I have the same issue and Ive had it for about 4 months and through Cam phaser replacement and o2 sensor changes, on the e85 tune and also on the stock tune on pure 93 octane and nothing has solved it. I also tried ethanol treatment injector cleaner with no luck.

I have a log of the idle going rough and nearly stalling from earlier today , it happens at 28 minutes 42 seconds to 28 minutes 54 seconds. Here is the log :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f6r13fuir7ebqrb/log0063.csv?dl=0

Anyone else have this issue and successfully solve it, or have any ideas?
Strange we both have May 18 builds too. Lol.

Have you had battery checked or replaced by chance?

Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@msweet
Can you drop one of the logs you showed me here?
Someone may be able to convert it into an actual graphic.
Damned if I can make much sense of it as a spreadsheet.
The log needs to be downloaded then opened with vcm scanner I believe. Or whatever data logging program you use. It is a Nguage datalog though.

Havent had any problems with my battery, but havent checked it. Never had any starting issues though.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This seems to be an auto only issue.
This may be a clue, I am not sure if its related but when it goes rough you do need to hold the brakes pretty hard to not move forward when its dieing/going rough. I think it may have gone rough in park though a few times also.

I think most people who have this issue have ran e85 too. So thats the biggest clue in my opinion and points me toward a sensor failure or sensor incompatibility issue, or maybe something to do with fueling or spark plugs + e85.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
This may be a clue, I am not sure if its related but when it goes rough you do need to hold the brakes pretty hard to not move forward when its dieing/going rough. I think it may have gone rough in park though a few times also.

I think most people who have this issue have ran e85 too. So thats the biggest clue in my opinion and points me toward a sensor failure or sensor incompatibility issue, or maybe something to do with fueling or spark plugs + e85.
I have been running E85 for 3k miles over the last year+, and never had a stalling issue. I do have occasional hard starts, and idle begins fairly low in the RPM range on warm restarts. I have the 6MT, and just noticed all these complaints were from auto owners.

NastyPumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Boosted Mustang GT
I have been running a full time/full E85 tune for over a year. So far, I have had zero issues. Even my 02s on my long tubes still look new.

My car was dyno tuned by very long time and much respected Mustang tuner Lidio, his shop Alternative Auto Performance in Michigan.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
It still does not explain why it does same thing on 91-93 pump and stock tune. A battery with a cell going bad would not affect starting necessarily...

Sponsored

BigBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT - 10spd Auto, Performance Pack Lvl 1
It still does not explain why it does same thing on 91-93 pump and stock tune. A battery with a cell going bad would not affect starting necessarily...
If the pump is having a flow issue, it wont matter what gas you put in it.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Then ask your tuner. Just trying to help, no need to challenge everything I say ;)
WTF good does asking my tuner on a problem that occurs/happens on stock tune? At dealership 2 weeks under Ford diagnosis/ testing with new cam phasers. If you actually read the thread you would know... Thanks. ;).

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If the pump is having a flow issue, it wont matter what gas you put in it.
I do kind of wonder if some of the e85 I may have used may have clogged an injector or somehow damaged a pump, but Ive used e85 ethanol treatment/cleaner and that did not help. And the car runs great at speed. I think it must be sensor related since its only at idle and my light for the o2 sensor did come on but after replacement the problem was not fixed, so I am pretty confused. I have emailed that log to my tuner and pointed out the time of the choppiness, and had done that months ago as well but nothing changed.

Ill let you guys know if he changes anything again this time and it works.
Sponsored