aacsaplar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Arden
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Hi everyone!

A little while ago I purchased a carbon fiber steering wheel off of Dyna Performance. Since my original wheel came with the heated option, I added that to this wheel.

I was confident, despite my limited knowledge on working on cars, that I'd be able to install it myself. However, the wheel didn't come with any installation instructions and when asked, the company doesn't have any for the heated option.

So, I was wondering if anyone has experience with installing aftermarket wheels that include a heated option.
Sponsored

94five-oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang Gt 401A
any luck? i got the same wheel and paid the extra for the heated option?

I'm just thinking i might check the voltage or find a wiring diagram theres more then 2 wires forsure lol

Scott

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 2008 Mustang GT/CS, 1970 Boss 302
Vehicle Showcase
In for the ride, interested in this as well.

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
Do the heating wires not have a dedicated plug? When I removed my OEM heated wheel there was a dedicated plug for the heating element at the bottom of the center of the wheel. I did not install an aftermarket heated wheel but I would of assumed they were plug and play?

OP
OP

aacsaplar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Arden
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
any luck? i got the same wheel and paid the extra for the heated option?

I'm just thinking i might check the voltage or find a wiring diagram theres more then 2 wires forsure lol
I ended up reaching out to another company that makes the same wheel, and they didn't have any installation instructions either. However, they did say soldering is involved (which I'm sure is obvious to everyone except me :crazy:). I'm not sure if this entails taking the pre-existing wires and soldering them with the new ones or if it somehow involves the plug?

I am having the wheel professionally installed on Tuesday as this is way out of my scope haha
I'll ask the mechanic how he did it and report back here for you guys!

Sponsored

OP
OP

aacsaplar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Arden
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Do the heating wires not have a dedicated plug? When I removed my OEM heated wheel there was a dedicated plug for the heating element at the bottom of the center of the wheel. I did not install an aftermarket heated wheel but I would of assumed they were plug and play?
The wheel that I got didn't have the plug attached to it, so it definitely uses the OEM plug, however, how the new wires attach to it is beyond me (complete noob here!).

94five-oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang Gt 401A
I’ll take a look later this weekend. I think I saw only four heating wires to the steering wheel. Not exactly plug in play more like, I got to find the correct wires to tap into. If not I’ll take the loss and tape off the wires as this is not my daily driver.

But I will check the wires and voltages. Shall report back !

js19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
You should have 4 wires total: 1 power, 1 ground, and 2 neutral wires which act as a temperature regulator. The temperature wires were bundled together so it was easy to tell the difference. Cut the OEM plugs off the old wheel and just splice to the wires on the new wheel. Soldering is recommended because the wires are so small and you want to be sure you get a great connection.

OP
OP

aacsaplar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Arden
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Update:
I took the steering wheel to a shop that specializes in Mustangs and doing aftermarket work, but unfortunately, they were not able to get the heated function to work. They tried for several hours, but for some reason, the wires couldn't get a connection. I'm not sure if this is due to the company I purchased it from or if the wheel is actually faulty, but I am gonna have to take the loss here.

Quick question though: should I try to get a refund for the price of the heated function? I paid around $200 extra to be able to use this function with the wheel, and considering I've tried everything to get it to work (including reaching out about installation instructions and doing a professional installation), would it be reasonable to request a return?

OP
OP

aacsaplar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Arden
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Update 2.0:
The wheel is a complete bust. Went to go pick the car up from the shop and they showed me that it doesn't fit flush at all with the OEM parts. The center portion with the airbag and horn was the most concerning as it didn't snap into place properly or sit flush with the wheel. The technicians stated that the wheel seemed warped and poorly made and that they tried for a good bit to make it all work. They also stated that for an older model, steering wheels like these have a good chance of actually fitting, but for a newer model, it's not a good idea due to how they are made.

Super frustrated at the moment, but stuff happens and now I know better. Currently trying to see if I can get a refund from the company but doubt that will happen.

Sponsored

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
Update 2.0:
The wheel is a complete bust. Went to go pick the car up from the shop and they showed me that it doesn't fit flush at all with the OEM parts. The center portion with the airbag and horn was the most concerning as it didn't snap into place properly or sit flush with the wheel. The technicians stated that the wheel seemed warped and poorly made and that they tried for a good bit to make it all work. They also stated that for an older model, steering wheels like these have a good chance of actually fitting, but for a newer model, it's not a good idea due to how they are made.

Super frustrated at the moment, but stuff happens and now I know better. Currently trying to see if I can get a refund from the company but doubt that will happen.
Sorry to hear about this. I see Dyna wheels advertised heavily and thought they’d be of great quality based on their reviews and photos. Hopefully they make it right for you if you reach out.

Lads1719

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT: PP1: 300A: Lightning Blue
Update 2.0:

I bought a wheel from here as well, it wasn’t the heated option but had the same fitment issues. The airbag would click into place just didn’t sit flush on the wheel, I figured I had bent something and chalked it up as a learning experience. But now I’m not so sure. I can deal with a trimming or adjusting a part to fit, but it’s another level with airbag safety. I’ve emailed as well, hopefully the correct this one way or another.

Lads1719

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT: PP1: 300A: Lightning Blue
Are you having trouble getting you paddles to sit flush as well? Mine has this annoying click now and no matter how hard i tried can't get them to line up like factory wheel.

IMG_3203.jpg

IMG_3207.jpg

IMG_3209.jpg

OP
OP

aacsaplar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Arden
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I didn't notice the issue when I initially checked, however, looking back at the photos I took, it doesn't seem like the paddles were flush. Just huge gaps everywhere between the OEM parts and the wheel.

Side note: that green color is so nice! Would've looked great if the wheel actually fit
Are you having trouble getting you paddles to sit flush as well? Mine has this annoying click now and no matter how hard i tried can't get them to line up like factory wheel.

IMG_3203.jpg

IMG_3207.jpg

IMG_3209.jpg
Sponsored