Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
Howdy friends,
Installing the DSS FDSH55-C driveshaft this morning and I ran into a little snag. I stripped the head on one of the bolts that secures the mounting the plate to the rear differential. Is there anything special about these bolts (such as weight) or can I just match thread size, bolt length, and head depth and replace all six? Thanks!
image.jpg

image.jpg
Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Those numbers stamped into the bolt head is the grade markings. Not only does the replacement need to match thread pitch and length, but the grade needs to match as well.

My guess is you will not find an equivalent replacement at Lowes or Home Depot. If you don't have a specialty fastener supply store in your area then you need to contact DSS and tell them what you did and buy another set from them.

OP
OP
April15Hater

April15Hater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Those numbers stamped into the bolt head is the grade markings. Not only does the replacement need to match thread pitch and length, but the grade needs to match as well.
Thatā€™s what I was afraid of... Iā€™m just going to play it safe and order the set from DSS. Looks like sheā€™s gonna be up on jacks until the parts come in šŸ˜« Thanks for the advice!

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Sorry, I didn't plan on bursting your bubble. But I did not want to see you put in an inferior bolt and six months later complain that the expensive driveshaft failed, possibly causing an accident or otherwise damaging your car.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Thatā€™s what I was afraid of... Iā€™m just going to play it safe and order the set from DSS. Looks like sheā€™s gonna be up on jacks until the parts come in šŸ˜« Thanks for the advice!
If memory serves me correctly, those bolts are to be torqued to 41 ft-lbs. In the meantime, you could chase the bolt holes with a thread chaser (not a tap), to get ready for the new bolts, so that they will thread in nice and easy. Use blue loctite too.

Sponsored

OP
OP
April15Hater

April15Hater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, I didn't plan on bursting your bubble. But I did not want to see you put in an inferior bolt and six months later complain that the expensive driveshaft failed, possibly causing an accident or otherwise damaging your car.
Definitely a bummer, but way better than the embarrassment of it failing halfway down the track!

drive_55_not

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Coyote, S197 3v, 2018 Gen3 [RIP], 2020 Challenger 'Cat
Nothing special other than it's what's call a low head allen.

Sometimes you can find small socket 10.9 hex head bolts at the chain auto parts stores, those use a 10mm socket, I;m not sure a socket head will sit recessed enough or have a small enough head to fit.

Since you're in Charlotte, Call DSS and they'll likely have new ones. Drive up and get them.

Otherwise check Fastenal, they might get them next day.

OP
OP
April15Hater

April15Hater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If memory serves me correctly, those bolts are to be torqued to 41 ft-lbs. In the meantime, you could chase the bolt holes with a thread chaser (not a tap), to get ready for the new bolts, so that they will thread in nice and easy. Use blue loctite too.
Not a bad idea... the factory bolts definitely werenā€™t pleasant to get out!

OP
OP
April15Hater

April15Hater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing special other than it's what's call a low head allen.

Sometimes you can find small socket 10.9 hex head bolts at the chain auto parts stores, those use a 10mm socket, I;m not sure a socket head will sit recessed enough or have a small enough head to fit.

Since you're in Charlotte, Call DSS and they'll likely have new ones. Drive up and get them.

Otherwise check Fastenal, they might get them next day.

Had no idea DSS is in Salisbury. Theyā€™re closed today, but definitely worth the ride out there!

OP
OP
April15Hater

April15Hater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Another question guys.... So I finally got the replacement bolt, got it on, and Iā€™m up to installing the driveshaft itself. I go to dry fit it and the cap came off on the differential side- looks like grease and bearings inside. Is this cap meant to come off? Is it still safe to install or is there anything I should be cautious of? I hope I can still install, thereā€™s no way Iā€™m getting up to Salisbury on the bike with that big @$$ driveshaft! šŸ¤£

Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Just stick it back on and make sure the bolt holes line up, then bolt on your driveshaft.

OP
OP
April15Hater

April15Hater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the help! She got on there fine. I will say that itā€™s a lot easier with a second set of hands, especially where it bolts up to the tranny plate and you can barely get the Allen key in there! Just needs that wiggle wiggle so you can hand turn the bolts.

Now I get to deal with the vibration at 45-55 šŸ˜– Might get under it and try to clock it later today. At least I know if the shaft is not balanced, DSS isnā€™t that far away.
Sponsored