Sponsored

Drove an A10 GT for first time. Wow.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Had a ’15 GT PP 6spd. Had driven the A6 in pre-2018 GTs and it was ok but nothing like this. Drove a ’19 GT base with the 301a package A10 today for fun. I was actually there looking at an Edge Sport (it was OK).

All I can say is: best automatic I’ve ever driven. Better than Scat Pack A8 or Camaro SS A8. Low end torque? Yes, it’s there. I’m normally a manual guy but that A10 is impressive to say the least. So responsive. No waiting. Power is in now mode all the time. And I was driving in normal mode. It was a rocket. I knew it was supposed to be good but somehow I never thought I'd be this impressed. Maybe I just had a really good one :).

If I got a GT again, it would probably be a base auto w/301a b/c I like the driving modes and Apple Car play. Although I have to admit, I’d probably always drive it normal mode and could save $2K and get a truly base auto. Handling and braking were good enough for me and I don't do track days.

Not a huge fan of the price (MSRP was $39K) but if could snag one like this for around $30-$32K, I’d probably bite.

Could upgrade the wheels and tires down the road maybe if I really cared.

Anyway, REALLY REALLY impressed by the 2018 base GT Auto! Anyone who disses the A10……well, I would be in a highly disagreeable state with you. :)
Sponsored

Last edited:

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I had a Camaro with the A8 and it was just awful. Granted it was my first automatic in a performance car and it was doubly bad as it was plagued with the horrendous shuddering problem. I am now so turned off towards automatics but this is just another report of how good the A10 is and I have not read a single bad review about it. I end up buying a base GT, manual and love it. You do have to work the manual though to get the car to move where I can imagine with the 10 speed automatic it must be just effortless. 0-60 supposed to be 3.9 a full whopping .5 second quicker than the 6 speed manual. Now that is a good automatic. My Camaro with the V6 A8 would have been a great car with this 10 speed automatic and was what I was expecting when I made the plunge and bought it. Anyone looking to get an automatic in a Chevy or Ford anything- get the 10 speed- do not get the 8 speed!

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
My only issue is, at low speeds its a little slow to drop a few gears and the car doesn't like to be driven below 2000 rpms its seems. But then again, I am used to a twin screw blower on a 5.4L, so torque is instant.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Had a ’15 GT PP 6spd. Had driven the A6 in pre-2018 GTs and it was ok but nothing like this. Drove a ’19 GT base with the 301a package A10 today for fun. I was actually there looking at an Edge Sport (it was OK).

All I can say is: best automatic I’ve ever driven. Better than Scat Pack A8 or Camaro SS A8. Low end torque? Yes, it’s there. I’m normally a manual guy but that A10 is impressive to say the least. So responsive. No waiting. Power is in now mode all the time. And I was driving in normal mode. It was a rocket. I knew it was supposed to be good but somehow I never thought I'd be this impressed. Maybe I just had a really good one :).

If I got a GT again, it would probably be a base auto w/301a b/c I like the driving modes and Apple Car play. Although I have to admit, I’d probably always drive it normal mode and could save $2K and get a truly base auto. Handling and braking were good enough for me and I don't do track days.

Not a huge fan of the price (MSRP was $39K) but if could snag one like this for around $30-$32K, I’d probably bite.

Could upgrade the wheels and tires down the road maybe if I really cared.

Anyway, REALLY REALLY impressed by the 2018 base GT Auto! Anyone who disses the A10……well, I would be in a highly disagreeable state with you. :)
Buddy just got an A10 base GT and the thing will throw you back in the seat with ease. If you put it in sport mode, it sounds like a manual tranny rev-matching(albeit, quicker than a manual tranny could be rev-matched.)

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Yeah I put it in Sport mode and it was good there too. Pretty quick shifts with the paddles. Stock exhaust (non - dual mode) sounded sick too! So much better than the 15-17 exhaust.

Sponsored

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
You guys are making me want to go test drive (& buy) one.

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
My only issue is, at low speeds its a little slow to drop a few gears and the car doesn't like to be driven below 2000 rpms its seems. But then again, I am used to a twin screw blower on a 5.4L, so torque is instant.
Pull back the shifter to S mode as you mash the gas response is instant. :)

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
After my horrendous experience with my 2017 Camaro automatic I'll always stay with a manual transmission- even though the automatic in the Mustang is so much faster than the manual. I also get better gas mileage in M/T cars- as I can be in any gear I want and drive for performance or economy.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I love my 10-speed in my Accord. Car is lots of fun in Sport Mode. Can't imagine how the A10 is in the Mustang.

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
Pull back the shifter to S mode as you mash the gas response is instant. :)
I don't want to move the shifter every time i try to accelerate in traffic a little. As stated, its mostly in town and mostly due to my previous daily drivers(1000+ ft/lbs diesels, and a lightning)

After my horrendous experience with my 2017 Camaro automatic I'll always stay with a manual transmission- even though the automatic in the Mustang is so much faster than the manual. I also get better gas mileage in M/T cars- as I can be in any gear I want and drive for performance or economy.
I can be in any geear in the a10 i want too... and I don't have to worry about shift forks breaking

Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
I drive in Sport+ 90% of the time. Mash and go!

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I really like the A10 in my Mustang, and I've owned a ton of manual trans cars. None can take off and row the gears like this thing can. The old slushbox days are definitely gone.

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I don't want to move the shifter every time i try to accelerate in traffic a little. As stated, its mostly in town and mostly due to my previous daily drivers(1000+ ft/lbs diesels, and a lightning)
I don't know if this helps, but you can use the paddle shifter to downshift in D and it will hold it for a few seconds before upshifting - it kind of helps when you just want to dig in and pass or something.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Yeah the 18 plus A10 coyote’s are the “cats ass” street cars now. Base plus PP1 and auto is what I bought. Add an e85 tune with tire you have a proven mid 11 second 120 plus mph ride. Hard to beat.
Sponsored