Sponsored

Driving a manual

Suddueth13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thunderbird
I taught myself how to drive manual on the first car I ever bought myself. It was a 1983 Mazda RX-7 and it didn't run when I bought it. Towed it home, got it running and just tinkered with it in the back yard and alley until it was tagged, then went onto the streets. I wouldn't own an automatic until I bought my Thunderbird last year. At one point, our entire household was manual cars with two New Edge GTs and a 2012 Fiesta. I've taught my girlfriends to drive manual as well and they all enjoyed it. Hell I was stuck in horrific traffic because of an accident on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge(took 9 1/2 hours to travel 14 miles) in my girlfriend at the time's Kia Sephia which was a manual with no cruise control. It sucked major balls but I still bought and drove manuals since then. If I had to commute everyday in stop and go traffic, I'd buy an auto commuter car and leave the toys with proper manuals.
Sponsored

S550_Magnetic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT Premium PP
You'll learn how to drive it in no time at all. Modern cars are especially forgiving too. You could learn on your own S550 and the end result will be totally worth it in the end. Stalling won't incur any measurable damage to your car, provided it doesn't happen in the middle of a busy intersection. I'd suggest that you get the car with a stick and just wing it.
Thats exactly what I did. My first manual car was a Honda Prelude and I had only driven a manual a couple times before that when I was 15. I had no clue what I was doing but when I bought the car I drove it all the way from Ft. Lauderdale to Jacksonville FL and learned on the way.

aladams713

RMCS(SS) USN Ret.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Metalic 5.0 w/50 year pack
Oh how I miss being able to drive a manual. It's so much fun that I think everybody should drive one it at least once. There's just nothing like running through the gears and downshifting. Unfortunately because of cancer treatment I have nerve damage in my legs and feet and I am no longer capable of driving a manual. After cancer treatment and rehab one of the things I looked forward to the most was being able to get behind the wheel of my '08 DHG Bullitt. I enjoyed it for a couple months until I got to the point where I was stalling out more than driving. The good news is I traded it for a 12 GT 5.0 Premium automatic which I just love. I'm about at the point of ordering a 15 GT 5.0 Premium but if I was capable I would definitely drive a manual. :amen:

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
Other than the "beater car" solution posted (which I think is a great idea)...are their any tracks around you? I'm sure the track guys there would at least be able to give some tips if anything.

I don't drive a manual now, never was taught when I got my license...I was fortunate enough to go to autobahn country club in Joliet Illinois (uncle is a member) and one of the guys there taught me in his miata. After an hour or so of driving and getting a feel for it I was on the track. Best freakin weekend of my life! Granted, I need more practice but my next car will be a manual. I have a feeling it will take a bit getting used to houston traffic but oh well. After a day of driving at the track I was comfortable enough to test drive a boss and a lame camaro at a dealership, then again when they aren't your cars...:-D lol

I wish you the best. I'm sure you will find a way.
Start on a flat surface and get a feel for the engagement of the clutch alone. On a flat surface you shouldn't have to use the gas and can let your foot off the clutch slowly and go. That'll get you a feel for what's going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is exactly how to start.
Flat road, no throttle, in first gear and ease the clutch out until you feel it engage and the car just starts to roll. Then push the clutch pedal back in and repeat; each time feeling where the clutch engages.

Once you're comfortable with that, add some gas.

Remember to come off the gas when you push in the clutch with each gear change. Make sure the clutch is fully engaged after each gear change before giving full throttle when you're going for it.

Don't forget to push in the clutch before you come to a stop.

You already know how to drive so this should be easy and will be surprisingly rewarding.

Seabee1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium/PP and 2006 F150 FX4
I love driving manual for it is fun but also most car jackers don't...lol especially the younger generation
Sponsored