Sponsored

Drivers side window catching on seal (Video)

4 ROUSH

NONE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SOLD
Had this issue on my passenger door S197 2014 5.0. Now i have it on my drivers door 2016 GT/CS. My 2015 GT does not have the issue . This has been around for some time not just on this generation Mustang. Before opening the door wait a little ,then open it fully no catch . Ford has to be aware of the issue if it was in S197 as well.:ford::cool:
Sponsored

stormtrooper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Whe mine went in, The tried the window reset shit. and even adjusted the door. Still catches!!

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I'm thinking it might be a lazy/slow window motor if all this reset and adjusting doesn't do anything.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Any resolutions yet for those who may have had luck with a Dealer Service Dept?

OP
OP

drevildevil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost Premium Ruby Red Metallic
possible fix awaits?

well.... I finally have an answer and a part on order. Service department says its a bad windows regulator. Its going to be replaced middle of next week. Hope that fixes it and will post the results.

Cheers!

Sponsored

OP
OP

drevildevil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

The window regulator motor was replaced yesterday, a reset then was performed.. NO CHANGE... And in the process the plastic chrome door handle which I really like was, PRIED on with a METAL screwdriver and scratched to hell...... The window control panel pops out with finger pressure, REALLY guys??? In short now they want to replace the entire window regulator assembly. GRRRRRR........... Metal on plastic prying?? REALLY!!!!!
So no fix yet, plus more scratches..

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Is there someone who has access to the Ford Shop Manuals?

I'd be willing to bet there is a way to adjust the pitch or angle of the actual glass - or the window track.

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
Is there someone who has access to the Ford Shop Manuals?

I'd be willing to bet there is a way to adjust the pitch or angle of the actual glass - or the window track.
I hope this helps. Forgive the asterisks the manual embeds:

Power*Door*Window*Initialization
Initialization
1.* WARNING:*Before*beginning*any*service*procedure*in*this*manual,*refer*to*health*and*safety warnings*in*section*100*00*General*Information.*Failure*to*follow*this*instruction*may*result*in serious*personal*injury. NOTE:*This*step*is*only*necessary*for*an*existing*window*regulator*motor.*If*installing*a*new*window regulator*motor,*proceed*to*Step*2. To*initialize*an*existing*window*regulator*motor,*the*motor*must*first*be*de*initialized.*This*can*be accomplished*by*disconnecting*the*battery*cable*or*window*motor*fuse*while*the*window*is*operating. After*the*motor*has*been*de*initialized,*reconnect*the*battery*cable*or*fuse*before*proceeding*to*the following*step.
2.* WARNING:*Keep*objects*and*body*parts*clear*of*the*glass*panel*when*carrying*out*the initialization*procedure.*During*the*initialization*procedure,*the*glass*panel*closes*with*high*force and*cannot*detect*objects*in*its*path.*Failure*to*follow*this*instruction*may*result*in*serious personal*injury. NOTE:*The*door*MUST*be*closed*during*this*procedure*(for*convertibles,*the*top*and*quarter*glass*must be*in*the*CLOSED*and*UP*position)*in*order*for*the*door*window*motor*to*initialize. With*the*door*window*in*the*fully*OPEN*position,*press*and*hold*the*window*control*switch*in*the*UP position*at*the*second*detent*until*the*window*glass*stalls*into*the*glass*top*run*for*at*least*2*seconds. Release*the*switch. 3.* Press*and*hold*the*window*control*switch*in*the*DOWN*position*at*the*second*detent*until*the*window glass*stalls*at*the*bottom*of*its*travel*for*at*least*2*seconds. 4.* Cycle*the*window*glass*up*and*down*once*more*to*set*the*window*soft*stop*for*the*DOWN*position.* 5.* Test*for*correct*window*operation*by*carrying*out*the*one*touch*up*and*one*touch*down*features.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
^^^ Here it is in more readable form:

Power Door Window Initialization

Initialization

1. WARNING: Before beginning any service procedure in this manual, refer to health and safety warnings in section 100 00 General Information. Failure to follow this instruction may result in serious personal injury. NOTE: This step is only necessary for an existing window regulator motor. If installing a new window regulator motor, proceed to Step 2. To initialize an existing window regulator motor, the motor must first be de initialized. This can be accomplished by disconnecting the battery cable or window motor fuse while the window is operating. After the motor has been de initialized, reconnect the battery cable or fuse before proceeding to the following step.

2. WARNING: Keep objects and body parts clear of the glass panel when carrying out the initialization procedure. During the initialization procedure, the glass panel closes with high force and cannot detect objects in its path. Failure to follow this instruction may result in serious personal injury. NOTE: The door MUST be closed during this procedure (for convertibles, the top and quarter glass must be in the CLOSED and UP position) in order for the door window motor to initialize. With the door window in the fully OPEN position, press and hold the window control switch in the UP position at the second detent until the window glass stalls into the glass top run for at least 2 seconds. Release the switch.

3. Press and hold the window control switch in the DOWN position at the second detent until the window glass stalls at the bottom of its travel for at least 2 seconds.

4. Cycle the window glass up and down once more to set the window soft stop for the DOWN position.

5. Test for correct window operation by carrying out the one touch up and one touch down features.

OP
OP

drevildevil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Init

Thanks for the write up.
Have done this multiple times, no change..

Sponsored

mbaran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
My dealer adjusted mine, and it's better than it was. Before it was like yours. I made a habit to open it slowly so it would go down fast enough not to catch.

Is your door to fender lines straight? It's possible that the drop and regulator are working as expected, but your door was installed crooked... mine was.

OP
OP

drevildevil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Regulator Assembly

after the reg motor was replaced and initialized, this week its sticking worse than before, I now have to pull the handle and wait for the window to come down for fear doing damage. The window glass is not sealing properly now as there are 2 spots at the top that are gathering condensation from air leaks.
Dealer has a complete regulator assembly to put in later this week..
:frusty:

tazor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
all of them
what a frickin mess i have the same problem, first said it was normal until i challenged him to show me another like mine, then i went to the mgr and he came out and wants to replace all the parts associated with the door and window. I told him to write it up as pending service letter for repair. Right they keep experimenting until they find the issue. They will find the problem when they look at the dates and cars effected and find out one of the parts wasn't manufactured correctly. Until then i will just open it slowly so lets find a pattern, build date? that might answer it or help them narrow it down i noticed most us joined in december what about ford service letter ssm 45605?

Last edited:

Chris R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford GT Premium
OP
OP

drevildevil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Issue has been Fixed, with caveat!

So the window the ENTIRE window regulator assembly and motor has been replaced and it is no longer catching. BUT the window seal has been damaged from it catching... So if you have this same problem make sure to check the window seal for air and water leaks after the initial fix straight away.

Cheers!
Sponsored