Drivers side oil separator

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Sorry if this is a re-post, maybe my google-fu sucks but I could not find the answer to my question.

New to me 2017 GT with Ford Performance Power Pack 2. I've purchased the Ford Performance oil separator but it appears to be passenger side only. I see a similar product that goes to drivers side but it's for the GT350 only. I thought I remember seeing somewhere that it's not needed on drivers side but it doesn't make sense to me why not, especially if GT350 does need it. Can anybody enlighten me? Thank you.
The drivers side is the "intake" for the crankcase, and the passenger side is the "exhaust" for the crankcase. This is why the PCV valve is on the passenger side, and there is no valve on the drivers side. The system is designed to draw filtered air in through the drivers side tube that connects post Air filter, and then excess crankcase pressure is forced through the passenger PCV and back into the intake manifold.

Forced induction is completely different because the crankcase is being pressurized due to the boost pressure forcing its way past the piston rings. This is why in FI applications, you will have blow by on both sides of the engine.

Blowby on both sides of the engine can also occur on NA motors if you are running them really hard/fast for extended period of time because the pressure underneath the cylinders builds to the point that the system is overwhelmed and cannot evacuate the crankcase pressure properly.

When NA, you only need the passenger side catch can to intercept the blow by shmeg from going into the intake manifold. On FI applications, both sides need to be routed away from the intake tube/manifold and into a catch can.

The best solution is to run both valve cover ports to a vented catch can, and cap both the port on the intake manifold, and the port on the intake tube, eliminating 100% of any shit going back into the motor. The PCV system exists because of the EPA, not because it's good for the motor.
Sponsored

Last edited:

RichGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
Ok, I’m a little late... reading this post... for the 2020 GT350R Oil Separator, One side or Both? If just one side, L/H (drivers side) or R/H?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
If you track the car or spend a lot of time at WOT, or are FI put them on both sides.

If none of the above, passenger, right hand, side is all that is needed.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yes - the intake/corrugated. I know it's supposed to be flex fit, but it is almost to the point that you can damage the part trying to get it to fit. Just wanted others to know when they're working on it.
I thought exactly the same as you - almost like it needs to be just a little shorter so the convoluted tubing can be extended just a little rather than all of it being compressed.

In my experience, it has a tendency to push the separator up the bracket just a little when it’s in its natural position.

WD :like:
Sponsored

Reactions: dps