Sponsored

Drive your car now, says Car and Driver

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
There are 152 CCS charging stations between PHX and LA within 5 miles of the route. There are chargers in the middle of the journey in Desert Station. What are you talking about?

D938A331-A411-4439-9D72-13180D24C08F.jpeg

Yeah that sounds great on paper. Leave from the far East Valley with that 250 mile range and hope you make that first one. This is far far off from supporting mass change to EV.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
When did we all get so opposed to innovation anyway? The American economy is built on innovation. We should be excited to drive energy innovation and benefit from the trillions of dollars that will be spent globally on shifting away from fossil fuels.
Why do you think people are opposed to innovation? I absolutely love innovation. We definitely need more innovation, because currently electric cars suck and there aren't practical and affordable solutions to the problems that some people say we have.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah that sounds great on paper. Leave from the far East Valley with that 250 mile range and hope you make that first one. This is far far off from supporting mass change to EV.
don't worry, U-haul will start providing these trailers for rent. Do EV even let you charge while in motion? Just imagine these trailers littering the rest stops like the e-scooters do in downtown. Oh bloody joy!

fsde.png

Come on Mazda, save the planet and release that 2-rotor rotary generator you've been playing with for years already. A 50-70 mile battery pack, a compact genset with 5-10 gallons of gasoline or natgas and you can be VERY eco-friendly and yet have unlimited range with 5 minute re-fuels. And spank the bejezus out of V8 mustangs (for a few seconds). And the car wouldn't have to weight 5000 freaking plus pounds. It would still be a LiOn bomb but a smaller one.

Last edited:

65straight6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
09 Ram 6.7l 3500 4x4, 55 Studebaker P/U, ā€˜19 GT350

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Don't mind if I do. Honestly anything can happen. Nuclear hellfire can rain down and incinerate us. Or you can get cancer, or die from any random BS. So do what makes you happy as often as you can. If that's staring at your car hank hill style, then go for it.

Sponsored

Fastoldman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2021 Iconic Silver Mach 1, 13 Viper GTS, 22 Ram CC
I love innovation , primarily because being in Automotive Sales for over 30 years it gave me something new to talk about, get excited about , and often be amazed with. This firestorm of complaints is quite similar to the one that occurred in the 70s with catalytic converters and the drop of horsepower to meet emissions. I had friends who thought the sky had fallen and I will admit I was not very pleased with the lovely smell of rotten eggs emanating out the tailpipe of my various machines. Beer flowed with round table discussions that the " Muscle Car " was dead, life sucked and we would never have cool machines again, and then....................................we begin a period of insane horsepower, damn near race performance advancements that make the " Muscle Car " era look as short as a weekend vacation. As soon as we thought it was all over we get 700+ HP machines with 200 mph top ends, and plebeian little econoboxes that will outrun GTOs, Camaros, Barracudas, etc. of years past.

Like the 70/80s a good friend of mine is flipping out because Ford is going to be highly electric by 2030. I actually laughed my butt off, because in 2030 he will be 78 and I told him he should be happy because they may have a killer electric chair for him to whiz around the Nursing Home in, ha! I did get serious and stop him from pontificating on the dire consequence because I reminded him that the scenario was that 40% of Fords would be projected to be EV by 2030. We, as humans, only read what we want , and rationality often goes out the window, so I reminded him that he would still find 60% of Ford vehicles being non electric. Hmmmm, we all know automotive projections are just that, we failed to view history, and realize it never seems to happen on time, and those saying the infrastructure will never be ready are correct too. No math is needed or charts, we just have to follow history, heck we often argue politics yet it did not matter if Democrats or Republicans were in power we could not get new bridges and roads built in the last two decades. Infrastructure will not be there in a timely fashion but innovation, engineering and advancement will continue. I could sure see a Hybrid machine with solar panels on the roof, a petroleum based motor to both power the car and recharge the batteries, with stupid, instant HP, and a range of 500-1000 miles.

The arguments going on are the same ones that happened among horse and buggy owners when the car arrived and they changed with various advancements as the car continued. Humans as a rule do not like change, but surprisingly it is the ones who welcome or even enjoy change since it begins another exciting stage in life who reap the benefits and often profits.

I think things will happen slower than anticipated, I am not worried we will miss out on fun cars because having ridden in a Taycan I found I like speed even more than I like noise. I view the practicality of all electric as a way into the future due to the lack of speed in US infrastructure, but instead of a negative I see it as another reason we will see even more innovation in the coming years than we expect.

The sky is not falling anymore than it did in the 70s or 80s, and the other positive note is if the V8 disappears , though I believe it will probably become quite limited ,we have 401Ks sitting in our garages, that we can take out for a drive and scare chickens, dogs, and small children, etc.
Sponsored

Last edited: