Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
For me that is a ton of mustangs.
Well it's not. Here is a further breakdown on availability (Cars.com).

This is for the entire country (50 states). Under normal circumstances Texas alone would have more cars than this.

2020 594
Ecoboost 334
GT 260

2021 2350
Ecoboost 895
GT 1455

All 2944
Ecoboost 1229
GT 1715
Sponsored

rhexis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Audi S4, 2020 Mustang GT
I'm assuming Intel plant? May as well be cranking out vacuum tubes :crackup:

Putting the shortage in perspective, Apple will sell more phones in a month than the entire auto industry combined sells cars in year. Who do you think draws more water with TSMC? Speaking of water, Taiwan is still experiencing a record drought.

This is not going to just go away in a couple months.

Not even close. Ford stands to lose billions this year due to lost sales. Better adjust your tinfoil hat.
indeed I am still waiting for a msrp 3080RTX its been a year now since they launched and the only way to get one is pay scalper prices or hang out at the local to you microcenter for days until the few they get dribble in. this is bs.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Well, intel is not the contender anymore and we did miss out on the apple iPhone back in the days. Tsmc is coming to Arizona, so hopefully they don’t kick our butt too soon
I wouldn't say Intel is out of the game completely, they've shown a good track record of getting more out of a node process than their competitors. The new Rocket Lake is pretty impressive for still being on a 14nm process. The new 10nm products will be even better, even if they're far away from GlobalFoundries in a technical sense. We're also reaching the end stage of silicon fabrication as we know it, the closer you get to the next unit down, the more difficult it becomes to get the process to work at all, let alone with good yields. I'm sure they'll figure it out, but for now that extreme difficulty curve will allow Intel to stay in the game.

GP2017GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
LT BLUE 2017 GT
I just punched in Ford Mustang at my local dealership and a 2021 GT Premium popped up $750 dollars under MSRP. And at another Ford dealership two weeks ago the dealer tried to sell me a Mach 1 on the floor, but it was an automatic. So it depends on where you live. The sky is not falling.

Sponsored

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I have yet to really hear what is causing the chip shortage. Some say it is the suppliers who are responsible. The automakers deal with suppliers instead of dealing directly with the chip makers. Some say there is a shortage of raw materials while others say that is not true. I heard on the news yesterday that the supply of chips will improve after this quarter. Lets hope so.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Some say there is a shortage of raw materials while others say that is not true. I heard on the news yesterday that the supply of chips will improve after this quarter. Lets hope so.
like a Nehalem CPU architecture with it's VERY long pipelines (that bit Intel in the ass) chip-making have very long pipelines. The doping machines were already running at full rate. The lithography machines were running at full rate. Same for the wire-bonders, so were the testers. The hardest machine to scale is the doping and lithography. But even the 'easy' wire-bonding and testing equipment have multi-month lead times to produce new machines. Just because you order 100 new machines doesn't mean they are sitting around in a warehouse under a tarp ready to load them on a skid.

IC manufacture is extremely precise. Even a simple wire-bonder needs precision optics, precision mounts and precision lead screws. You can't just open up your Digi-Key catalog and pick up the phone. And all of these machines use onboard computers for all command and control.

Wire-bonders come from places like Kulicke & Soffa, testers from AdvanTest, Teradyne, and Schlumberger.

IMO Intel is finished. They used to be a process company that just so happened to make CPUs with their technology. But they're 2 features sizes behind and it doesn't look like they can get their mojo back. There's actual talk of pulling an AMD and going fab-less.

Last edited:

dfanucci

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT / 68 Mustang Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I just punched in Ford Mustang at my local dealership and a 2021 GT Premium popped up $750 dollars under MSRP. And at another Ford dealership two weeks ago the dealer tried to sell me a Mach 1 on the floor, but it was an automatic. So it depends on where you live. The sky is not falling.
No, the sky is not falling, but the days of finding exactly what you want on a lot and getting a healthy discount on that car are over for the time being.

Want to order your exact spec car? Expect to wait.

Mustangs are crazy popular right now and unless you live in a lower populated area like you stated, they are going to be really tough to find in the coming months.

Last edited:

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
like a Nehalem CPU architecture with it's VERY long pipelines (that bit Intel in the ass) chip-making have very long pipelines. The doping machines were already running at full rate. The lithography machines were running at full rate. Same for the wire-bonders, so were the testers. The hardest machine to scale is the doping and lithography. But even the 'easy' wire-bonding and testing equipment have multi-month lead times to produce new machines. Just because you order 100 new machines doesn't mean they are sitting around in a warehouse under a tarp ready to load them on a skid.

IC manufacture is extremely precise. Even a simple wire-bonder needs precision optics, precision mounts and precision lead screws. You can't just open up your Digi-Key catalog and pick up the phone. And all of these machines use onboard computers for all command and control.

Wire-bonders come from places like Kulicke & Soffa, testers from AdvanTest, Teradyne, and Schlumberger.

IMO Intel is finished. They used to be a process company that just so happened to make CPUs with their technology. But they're 2 features sizes behind and it doesn't look like they can get their mojo back. There's actual talk of pulling an AMD and going fab-less.
People get carried away with the manufacturing process. What does it say when Intel's processors on a 14nm process still beat out AMDs new Ryzen processors on a much newer 7nm process? What I'm referring to is computer benchmarks. Yes, the new Ryzen processors might be more energy efficient, but Intel's 11th gen seem to have more raw power. Good for desktops, bad for laptops and 2-in-1s. Intel's been on the 14nm process so long, I think they have completely wrung out everything you can get out of it.

Most businesses still prefer Intel processors over AMD for servers, desktops, and laptops. Or should I say, the vendor who supplies businesses always seems to put an Intel processor in the quote. Who knows, this may change in the future? While I like the Xeon scalable processors, especially the Gold tier (good value imo), I'm not gonna lie... AMD's EPYC processors has peaked my interest recently. I will reevaluate what my company's needs are when the next physical server is up for replacement.

I know a lot has changed or is changing for Intel... Apple started making their own chips in house (The M1 is pretty darn impressive from what I've seen so far) so Intel's partnership with Apple seems to be ending. I believe Intel has been having trouble with the 10nm process since at least 2015, if not before. Maybe Intel is finally getting the 10nm process right with their 12th gen chips. And we know Alder Lake is taking a page out of the ARM book with having a mix of high performance cores and energy efficient cores. Alder Lake could very well leapfrog AMD or Apple, who knows at this point?

And then there's this... Intel Tapes In 7nm Meteor Lake Compute Tile | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)

From the article: Intel has acknowledged that it will outsource some of its core logic to TSMC for its "leadership" CPUs in 2023. Meteor Lake's 3D design could allow Intel to either use its own 7nm cores or swap in cores based on a process node sourced from a third-party foundry, like TSMC, for faster versions of the chip.

Last edited:

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Better check your numbers there, chiefy. The only places where Intel is outperforming AMD right now is when comparing cherry-picked Intel sponsored synthetics to the last gen AMD chips. In real world performance, 5000-series is killing it, Epyc is chewing up the server market, and there is no comparison in thermals/battery on the portable front.
And there lies the problem. Results without bias. And testing two similar setups. What websites do you get your benchmark results from?

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/
https://www.3dmark.com/
something else?

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I went to the the 2 large dealers in my state. Neither has a single new Mustang in stock. The pre-owned inventory is feeble. The one salesperson told me that ordering now, don't expect any delivery this calendar year. This is because of the chip shortage. Also, don't expect 1 cent below MSRP. Also, the 2022 will be in theory replacing the 2021 by then
Koons Ford (where I got my last 2 Mustangs from) have over 100 Mustangs in stock.

New England is a dead zone for cars right now, gotta look further out.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
hat does it say when Intel's processors on a 14nm process still beat out AMDs new Ryzen processors on a much newer 7nm process? What I'm referring to is computer benchmarks
computer benchmarks are "lies" from top to bottom. The datacenter/cloud is what matters. Consumers don't matter. :) A CPU from 10 years ago is 200% more CPU than any user needs. And anyway all you people are going to be moved to ARM anyway and won't even notice.

PS. yes I'm a server guy. Don't give 2 sh*ts about gaming.

But back to the CPU on wheels we call a Mustang...

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Good luck getting Windows/x86 apps to run on ARM.
it already happened. and anyway your 'local' computer will be nothing more than a display. We'll be back to the glory days of X11.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
computer benchmarks are "lies" from top to bottom. The datacenter/cloud is what matters. Consumers don't matter. :) A CPU from 10 years ago is 200% more CPU than any user needs. And anyway all you people are going to be moved to ARM anyway and won't even notice.

PS. yes I'm a server guy. Don't give 2 sh*ts about gaming.

But back to the CPU on wheels we call a Mustang...
Well considering Alder Lake is close to an ARM setup, yes... I'd say everybody will be going to an ARM style setup for their processors.

Regardless of our AMD or Intel love and hate :giggle: wouldn't it be nice if Intel built a factory in the US, maybe even Europe to supply chips? It seems like Asian chip manufacturers have our balls in a vise.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Alright Nerds... take it easy. lol
Sponsored