Sponsored

Don't bother to order

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Not to mention the years/$billions it takes to spin up a new fab to increase capacity to meet the growing demand.
true. I was speaking strictly from the perspective of Ford buying back it's production slots after they had stupidly relinquished them early on.

Going forward building more plants is not an easy justification. The global economy was looking pretty damn dire before the Covid and it's definitely not any healthier now. With people going back to work even if "work from home" is here to stay, the level of demand is bound to taper off. TSMS et. al. do not want to be in a position to have built a 5 billion dollar plant only for Big-3 to not place orders 2 years hence. It really needs to be a 15yr commitment from US Auto to justify the investment.
Sponsored

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
it takes 6 weeks to 3 months to "grow" a single wafer (run it thru all the steps) and then slice it into chips for packaging.
So you mean they can't just roll up their sleeves, apply a little extra elbow-grease and crank these puppies out? :crackup:

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
I got a thing in the mail the other day from the dealer I bought my car from. They want to buy it back from me and pay top dollar! I don't think they'll want to give me all the dollars underneath the top one though...
Lmao, thats so funny because I have been getting emails and mail saying the same thing. I was honestly surprised that they remembered my information because its for my other car that I got way back in 2015 when I was living in Tennessee lol. I almost got suckered in because I felt special and honored that they remembered me because I never got anything from them since I bought the car and used prices are super high right now. Looks like its just business as usual to them and nothing personal ☹

Smunczen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt pp2
any marginal "profit" being extracted by the dealer in response to the shortage is massively dwarfed by the loss of sales volume. Dealer after dealer I drive by their lots are bare. It's amazing.
My dealer is almost out of inventory to sell.

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Lmao, thats so funny because I have been getting emails and mail saying the same thing. I was honestly surprised that they remembered my information because its for my other car that I got way back in 2015 when I was living in Tennessee lol. I almost got suckered in because I felt special and honored that they remembered me because I never got anything from them since I bought the car and used prices are super high right now. Looks like its just business as usual to them and nothing personal ☹
Yeah I was reading it and feeling special too till I got to the part where they said to bring it in and get it evaluated by one of their professionals. Just like a phone calls offering me cash in hand for my house, I ask them how much and they reply saying I'll need to answer some questions first and then the manager will call me back tomorrow. Nope. So much nope. If you wanted it, you would be able to give me a number now mofos. Also scam city on the house thing.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Not only are people paying top dollar for used cars, they are traveling greater distances for them. I was at the dealer today, and they have a used explorer xlt with the sport appearance package. My salesman told me they sold it for 42K and the lady who bought it is flying in from Tennessee tomorrow to pick it up. The dealership is in the western burbs of Cleveland.

BTW, that same dealer will have a used 18 explorer sport with the 365 hp 3.5 ecoboost with just under 19K miles for sale in the next few days once they finish the CPO inspection and detail it. They gave me 33.5K for it when I traded it in, so my guess it will be listed about mid 40's. If anybody is interested, I can post the dealers location and PM you the vin of the exact vehicle.

Last edited:

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
There is some truth to the OP's post. Over here on the left side of the U.S. Mustangs can be found, but you're gonna pay for them. The dealer I bought mine from has two 21 GT PP1's on his lot, and he won't even talk to you if you want a nickel under MSRP. He says in his 30 years of owning a dealership, he's never seen the mouthwatering for Mustangs that is taking place.
sounds like 1965 …

only with crappier music :crackup:

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
There's always going to be a percentage of people who dislike the new redesign. Once they switch over you can not "order" one anymore so buying what is on the lot is your only option. For those not able to order and really not liking the redesign, i can see dealers staying at MSRP on leftovers after the redesign.
I disagree. Historically when a re-design comes out, the dealerships slash prices on "last years models." The curve ball here is supply.

CharlieBrown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 C8 (Sold)
There are tons of Mustangs GT on autotrader.com, cargurus.com and cars.com I assume most of them are available but the prices seem to be MSRP only.

Sponsored

SSally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Rapid Red
From the Kiplinger Letter dated 5/21 . . .

Lack of chips will dog the auto industry until late this year. Full recovery may not take hold until early 2022. That’s bad news for automakers, costing them $110 billion in global revenues this year, vs. a previous estimate of $60.6 billion.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
There are tons of Mustangs GT on autotrader.com, cargurus.com and cars.com I assume most of them are available but the prices seem to be MSRP only.
I think you need to define "ton". Cars.com has 2968 Mustangs, 20' & 21', of all types. That's less than 62 cars for each of the lower 48 states. In my book that's hardly a ton.

By the way as of March 2021 there are over 3000 Ford dealers .

Last edited:

tnk_2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT, 401A, auto, CS, Ford SS.
I'm assuming Intel plant? May as well be cranking out vacuum tubes :crackup:

Putting the shortage in perspective, Apple will sell more phones in a month than the entire auto industry combined sells cars in year. Who do you think draws more water with TSMC? Speaking of water, Taiwan is still experiencing a record drought.

This is not going to just go away in a couple months.

Not even close. Ford stands to lose billions this year due to lost sales. Better adjust your tinfoil hat.
Well, intel is not the contender anymore and we did miss out on the apple iPhone back in the days. Tsmc is coming to Arizona, so hopefully they don’t kick our butt too soon

CharlieBrown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 C8 (Sold)
I think you need to define "ton". Cars.com has 2968 Mustangs, 20' & 21', of all types. That's less than 62 cars for each of the lower 48 states. I my book that's hardly a ton.

By the way as of March 2021 there are over 3000 Ford dealers .
For me that is a ton of mustangs.