Sponsored

Don't be Just Another Failure!

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Out of the 30ish people in my area that I personally know with supercharged cars 3 have cracked the OPG. Same people for and against this mod on all the forums I read.

I should cancel my insurance policy because I am never having an accident. The 1 in 10,0000 odds are in my favor.
Curious if they changed the damper or not.
I'm curious what horsepower they are at and if they are going to the track going for 1/4 mile times with sticky tires.
Sponsored

desant89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium Auto
Out of the 30ish people in my area that I personally know with supercharged cars 3 have cracked the OPG. Same people for and against this mod on all the forums I read.

I should cancel my insurance policy because I am never having an accident. The 1 in 10,0000 odds are in my favor.
That's nuts cause of all the FI users on here, you be pressed to find many more than the ones in your area (not counting a vendor testing a 1000hp tt setup) who had that failure. Not saying it didn't happen, but it wuld be nice to know what else those cars had, and what their primary use was. Also when people do have a failure, a forum is the first place they will run to about it. I'm not even one who don't think it can fail, but I have to respect what Whipple and Ford is telling us. Again, I do not want to blow my engine. I may hit the track 4x total if that for the life of my car. If I get through that, I am fine. If I don't, I will build an engine that is made to handle this power. No band aids.

MoosaTunga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
That's nuts cause of all the FI users on here, you be pressed to find many more than the ones in your area (not counting a vendor testing a 1000hp tt setup) who had that failure. Not saying it didn't happen, but it wuld be nice to know what else those cars had, and what their primary use was. Also when people do have a failure, a forum is the first place they will run to about it. I'm not even one who don't think it can fail, but I have to respect what Whipple and Ford is telling us. Again, I do not want to blow my engine. I may hit the track 4x total if that for the life of my car. If I get through that, I am fine. If I don't, I will build an engine that is made to handle this power. No band aids.
you will find many do the OPG, crank gear and balancer straight up, so you may never see the issue on the quicker more powerful cars.

MyLilPony

Naw It's Stock
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT, 18 JLUR, 15 JK
My video spurred another enjoy!

MoosaTunga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
My video spurred another enjoy!

we made that video. we did both the Coyote and the Aussie Ford Inline 6 turbo OPG, Aussie one's were stronger :headbang:

i should note that dropping a gear in no way replicates what's going on in the housing. however, might be enough to scare people that are looking to push the engine with more power via FI/NOS, $1500 now can save $15000 later.

Sponsored

Doctor Fishtail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
we made that video. we did both the Coyote and the Aussie Ford Inline 6 turbo OPG, Aussie one's were stronger :headbang:

i should note that dropping a gear in no way replicates what's going on in the housing. however, might be enough to scare people that are looking to push the engine with more power via FI/NOS, $1500 now can save $15000 later.
Exactly my thoughts. :thumbsup:

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

This test is clearly "uncontrolled torsional vibrations" and ""shock loading". Now if you dropped the OPG on a piece of ATI race damper foam, the dampening would help it "survive longer in the harsh conditions" :lol:

Yet, there is hardly any failures. The F150 also runs the 5.0, and there are a lot of those on the road.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Originally Posted by Bartly View Post
The statement I take away from those discussions was about Whipple doing lots and lots of testing on a stock engine and offering a warranty based on their confidence level. I don't know the validity of it, but don't have any reason to doubt their amount of testing either. Or worst case their banking on the # of warranty purchases versus failures. But that doesn't make sense.

We get asked time and time again.

YOU DO NOT NEED OPG or TG for any street application. If your race only, going to rev past 7800rpm and build the motor, change OPG...

We have done massive levels of testing, well over 300 hours of WOT, steady state testing between 5 vehicles/engines. We've run in the wind tunnel at -20deg F to 130deg F. To do the calibration work we performed, it has to be held at WOT at many different RPM points to validate the cal, along with shifts, etc. The street driving is minimal compared to dyno/wind tunnel testing which is absolute torture. You can test 5-6 WOT shifting on the freeway since it's at 206mph.

Always stock OPG. Therefore, we have passed all our durability testing, which far exceeds any normal aftermarket company by 100x! Could OPG be better? Potentially yes, if its designed/machined correctly and made of proper material then it can be stronger but that does not mean it's required.

MoosaTunga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
The statement I take away from those discussions was about Whipple doing lots and lots of testing on a stock engine and offering a warranty based on their confidence level. I don't know the validity of it, but don't have any reason to doubt their amount of testing either. Or worst case their banking on the # of warranty purchases versus failures. But that doesn't make sense.
our Falcon's here in Australia already come out with a 9.5:1 Coyote (11-14 motors) with a 1.9L blower (we call them Miami) we aren't pushing huge power through them a genuine 600-650rwhp (130-135mph 1/4 mile) we have one it's factory just with a tune makes 500rwhp (125mph 1/4) the amount of burnout video's we have seen him do it shocks us the engine and box is still holding, it's sitting on the limiter 30-60 seconds, he has probably 20000 miles on it since tune and trust me when i say those are hard miles, every traffic light is a drag strip :p we have soft and hard limiters in our software, the hard limiter sits about 400-500rpm above the soft so it never hits it. we think staying @ 7000rpm, not putting more than 13-15psi boost, using an aftermarket balancer is why they are surviving. *touch wood* we haven't lost one yet, however, we still always make note to a customer and make them aware of what can happen, as we have heard a few breaking gears in our Aussie engines.

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
And then a Boost Works car shatters its OPG under WOT. Not doubting that the harmonics may be different from FI setup to FI setup. I was just never willing to bet $10k that the $300 OPG wasn't needed. Then again, I always planned on beating on my car, so there's that.

Sponsored

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
our Falcon's here in Australia already come out with a 9.5:1 Coyote (11-14 motors) with a 1.9L blower (we call them Miami) we aren't pushing huge power through them a genuine 600-650rwhp (130-135mph 1/4 mile) we have one it's factory just with a tune makes 500rwhp (125mph 1/4) the amount of burnout video's we have seen him do it shocks us the engine and box is still holding, it's sitting on the limiter 30-60 seconds, he has probably 20000 miles on it since tune and trust me when i say those are hard miles, every traffic light is a drag strip :p we have soft and hard limiters in our software, the hard limiter sits about 400-500rpm above the soft so it never hits it. we think staying @ 7000rpm, not putting more than 13-15psi boost, using an aftermarket balancer is why they are surviving. *touch wood* we haven't lost one yet, however, we still always make note to a customer and make them aware of what can happen, as we have heard a few breaking gears in our Aussie engines.
I was in Syndey a few months back. I was there for work for two weeks. I really liked looking at the different cars you have there. It was right before I bought my GT, wishing the trip was after I bought it, that way I might have been able to really lol at the cars from a different perspective. Even though it was a work trip, probably the best trip I've ever been on. Wishing the hotels were cheaper so I could afford to go there on my own dime some day. Oh yeah, it's "knock on wood" over here. Lol.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0

MoosaTunga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I was in Syndey a few months back. I was there for work for two weeks. I really liked looking at the different cars you have there. It was right before I bought my GT, wishing the trip was after I bought it, that way I might have been able to really lol at the cars from a different perspective. Even though it was a work trip, probably the best trip I've ever been on. Wishing the hotels were cheaper so I could afford to go there on my own dime some day. Oh yeah, it's "knock on wood" over here. Lol.
Holden Commodore (Chevy LS) leads the market here by a long shot, then the I6 Barra (Ford 6-cylinder) boys, the modular/Coyote here is nothing like it is in the US, i can count on 1 hand the amount of modulars/Coyote's here running under 10's. after seeing what the likes of Accufab etc were doing i spent $200-$250k building a 4.6 TT modular drag car, i love Ford motors, i love DOHC V8's in general i thought might spark a bit of interest with the Ford boys if a small cube Ford DOHC V8 came out and ran some 6-sec 200mph+ passes, so people see just how good these motor's are but we had some issues on cranking 3 years ago and the head was overported on the exhaust and the coolant went through the whole motor, been waiting 3 years for a replacement head i was promised, one day i hope i will see it :(

i'm more interested in street cars now, have jumped in helping alot of people with their cars, we are doing a TT S550 hopefully go out and ruffle a few feathers. liked the car so much i even ordered my own, unfortunately won't be delivered till mid next year. will go pretty crazy on it :headbang: this being an R&D car we want to see how they go with no billet OPG, crank gear, we have put a Romac balancer on

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
I'm wondering what brand balancer your using on these Miami motors? MMR has one made by Romac of Austrailia, is it similar to that one and made for MMR by Romac?

MoosaTunga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I'm wondering what brand balancer your using on these Miami motors? MMR has one made by Romac of Austrailia, is it similar to that one and made for MMR by Romac?

Yeah same as MMR one just doesn't have their name on it. They seem OK, was using Innovators then switched to ATI a couple years ago. Know a few using the Romac balancer without problems
Sponsored