Does your 10R80 do this....

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hi

Let's say you drive to a parking lot, stop, put the car in neutral rev it some wait until the car idles, the put it in D. What happens.... With mine it's like in a manual if you don't use the clutch . You can feel it in the whole car and that thunk it sure does not sound or feel healthy in any way ...
Sponsored

Osofast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt premium
Vehicle Showcase
Hi

Let's say you drive to a parking lot, stop, put the car in neutral rev it some wait until the car idles, the put it in D. What happens.... With mine it's like in a manual if you don't use the clutch . You can feel it in the whole car and that thunk it sure does not sound or feel healthy in any way ...
Mine does not make a thunk when shifting into drive from park or after using reverse.

Osofast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt premium
Vehicle Showcase
Are you dropping it in gear while the rpms are above idle?

Osofast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt premium
Vehicle Showcase
Are you dropping it in gear while the rpms are above idle?

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Just curious.... to try and understand the question...

Why are you putting it in neutral, revving, then putting it into D, if in a parking spot?

OP
OP
Mazman

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hello

Yes or at a red light etc.
Just revving 500-600 revs is enough for my gearbox to act like this.

Just curious.... to try and understand the question...

Why are you putting it in neutral, revving, then putting it into D, if in a parking spot?

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
Why the hell does anyone put an automatic in neutral?? It's largely a redundant gear selection. Useful for pushing a dead car around the garage....not much else.

Drive or Park.

OP
OP
Mazman

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Either way I don't think it should behave like this or?

In other autboxes I have not experienced this behavior.

Why the hell does anyone put an automatic in neutral?? It's largely a redundant gear selection. Useful for pushing a dead car around the garage....not much else.

Drive or Park.

Sponsored

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
If by “feel it in the whole car” you mean the car lurches forward abruptly then yes I get that too. Usually when going from reverse to drive after backing out of my driveway. It will lurch into gear and if I have the brake on to stop it from lunging forward, the force of the lurch makes the whole car rock back and forth for a second or two. There is another thread on this with others having the issue as we’ll as a clunky downshift from 4-3. Someone in that thread mentioned that a software update is available. I’ll find out in a couple weeks when I take it in for that and my malfunctioning active exhaust.

Here’s the other thread - https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/10-speed-tranny-downshifting-hard.107805/

OP
OP
Mazman

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hi

Thanks for the info. By feeling it in the whole car = similar to a manual box where the cogs on the gears slam into each other without using the clutch(quite violent)

If by “feel it in the whole car” you mean the car lurches forward abruptly then yes I get that too. Usually when going from reverse to drive after backing out of my driveway. It will lurch into gear and if I have the brake on to stop it from lunging forward, the force of the lurch makes the whole car rock back and forth for a second or two. There is another thread on this with others having the issue as we’ll as a clunky downshift from 4-3. Someone in that thread mentioned that a software update is available. I’ll find out in a couple weeks when I take it in for that and my malfunctioning active exhaust.

Here’s the other thread - https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/10-speed-tranny-downshifting-hard.107805/

Osofast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt premium
Vehicle Showcase
Mazman, just curious does the trans do this if you don’t rev the car before shifting into gear?
I know that sometimes I can get the car to give a slight leap forward or reverse depending on gear selected during a cold start if I don’t let the car idle down.

I’m not an expert to say the least, but is there a chance that while reving the car you are creating pressure in the hydraulic pump for the trans and then when you drop it into gear and it is releasing that pressure into a harder than normal gear selection.

To be honest, I can’t see anyone reving the car a couple hundred rpms in neutral, it sounds to me like maybe you just want to hear the exhaust and your at a light or parked but not in park reving the motor in neutral rev it a few thousand rpms and then throwing it in gear......the hydraulic pump may act different in neutral than it does in park....but again I’m no expert.

OP
OP
Mazman

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Mazman, just curious does the trans do this if you don’t rev the car before shifting into gear?
I know that sometimes I can get the car to give a slight leap forward or reverse depending on gear selected during a cold start if I don’t let the car idle down.

I’m not an expert to say the least, but is there a chance that while reving the car you are creating pressure in the hydraulic pump for the trans and then when you drop it into gear and it is releasing that pressure into a harder than normal gear selection.

To be honest, I can’t see anyone reving the car a couple hundred rpms in neutral, it sounds to me like maybe you just want to hear the exhaust and your at a light or parked but not in park reving the motor in neutral rev it a few thousand rpms and then throwing it in gear......the hydraulic pump may act different in neutral than it does in park....but again I’m no expert.
Hey buddy

It could for sure be as you are saying that there is pressure in the system.

I have experienced this five-six times. most of the time at red-lights(waiting for a long time) I have just put into neutral and I have had this behaviour.
The last occassion I was sitting in a drive-in and wanted to hear the ticking I have as I was close to a wall and therefore I did rev it just slightly.

//M

Last edited:

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Even though the engine rpm's come down, the trans internals are still spinning faster than the engine. Hence the jolt engaging everything again. Try it again, but wait longer before back to park. BTW quite hard on things doing that...
Sponsored