10 speed tranny downshifting HARD!

Ratfink53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium
Hello, I only have 2500 miles on my 2018 GT. I usually keep my driving in sport mode and sometimes
I let the car shift normally in auto mode. For some reason, when in normal auto mode, when it downshifts
From 4th to 3rd it’s rather abrupt. The shifts are fine in the other modes. Has my transmission learned this? The downshifts were very smooth when new.
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Well, I do believe it has a learning computer, sort of like a Terminator. It might be studying your driving style to kill you, so be careful.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
does seem odd, id make it a point to drive it in normal for awhile and see if it goes away after a few hundred miles. If not try doing a reset. i think there is a way to reset it

OP
OP

Ratfink53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium
Well, I do believe it has a learning computer, sort of like a Terminator. It might be studying your driving style to kill you, so be careful.
Thanks for the heads up!

OP
OP

Ratfink53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium
does seem odd, id make it a point to drive it in normal for awhile and see if it goes away after a few hundred miles. If not try doing a reset. i think there is a way to reset it
I think that I’ll try that. If it doesn’t help I guess the ford can reset the adaptives. I traded my 16 challenger
Scatpack for this car and had the same issues with the 8 speed. They did a software flash that helped some.

Sponsored

Frank Castle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Long time reader of the forum, first post.

My '18 GT started doing the exact same thing around 3,200 miles. I'm up to 4,000 miles now and it hasn't gotten any better regardless of driving mode. The car will also lunge forward when shifting from Reverse to Drive. I took it to my local Ford dealer and they agree something isn't right. Drove another '18 GT with around 200 miles on it and felt no shifting at all. Car is scheduled for evaluation at the dealer on 8-13.

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
If you disconnect the battery (for a few minutes) its supposed to reset the learned transmission behavior.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
A few big tuners have seen some issues with 2 to 3 and 3 to 4. Most predominantly getting stuck in 2 or 3. Try the relearn for sure. Don't lose sleep over it or try to baby it. Drive normally but keep an eye on it. It shouldn't be doing that, theoretically. If it gets worse and almost starts to feel like a sloppy downshift in a manual transmission car, get to the dealership stat for warranty work. SOME, not all, 10R80's are starting to show their ugly side.

stevegt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium. 2019 GT PP1 ordered
I think that I’ll try that. If it doesn’t help I guess the ford can reset the adaptives. I traded my 16 challenger
Scatpack for this car and had the same issues with the 8 speed. They did a software flash that helped some.
You can reset the adaptive learning yourself. Just disconnect the battery for several minutes.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
The harder I brake, the harder the down shifts are. If just let off the gas and coast, the shifts are easy and smooth. If I mash the brakes, the shifts are quicker and a lot more aggressive. I notice no difference between any particular gears individually.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Ratfink53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium
It’s worth a try, thx.

OP
OP

Ratfink53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium
A few big tuners have seen some issues with 2 to 3 and 3 to 4. Most predominantly getting stuck in 2 or 3. Try the relearn for sure. Don't lose sleep over it or try to baby it. Drive normally but keep an eye on it. It shouldn't be doing that, theoretically. If it gets worse and almost starts to feel like a sloppy downshift in a manual transmission car, get to the dealership stat for warranty work. SOME, not all, 10R80's are starting to show their ugly side.
Thank you.

OP
OP

Ratfink53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium
The harder I brake, the harder the down shifts are. If just let off the gas and coast, the shifts are easy and smooth. If I mash the brakes, the shifts are quicker and a lot more aggressive. I notice no difference between any particular gears individually.
Makes sense.... I have lots of things to try now.

TJL442

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Sounds like sport mode is like tow mode in an F150, harder you brake it downshifts harder using engine for braking.

Tim

Spike-S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spike
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Mustang Fastback2016
You can reset the adaptive learning yourself. Just disconnect the battery for several minutes.
Yes try this it does work with my 2016 GT Auto, It will re set the learn process and will feel a little abrupt at first until it relearns your driving style !
Sponsored