Sponsored

Does the oil consumption issue apply only to the f150? Looking to buy my first 3rd gen coyote mustang but worried about all the issues.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
This answer only further confirms King's previous comment is spot on.

You're looking for an issue, and/or obsessing over something that 1) isn't there and 2) can happen on any engine ever created.
The thread title speaks volumes; assuming the issue is real, seeking information that confirms the fear. Only believing one poster that also doesn't own a Mustang 5.0
Sponsored

Last edited:

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Here is a link to a video about the oil consumption issue.
#ford f150 oil consumption new dipstick measured 2018 2019 2020 5.0 coyote - YouTube
Hello; Here is a link to a thread on this site about the Coyote III plasma wire cylinder coating.
FYI: Coyote 5.0 Plasma Transfer Wire Arc cylinder liners | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com

Hello; This issue is at least three years old to me. I tried to get first hand information from Ford by contacting Ford directly and by stopping at a few Ford dealerships. They were not talking. My unverified take is Ford has either taken steps to address the issues or the percentage of bad engines is small enough to not be worth any production changes.
I have followed this issue when something pops up. One item has stood out a bit. That being the move away from the 0w20 oils to 5w30. Some forum members have posted going to the thicker oils and it may be that Ford now recommends a thicker oil but i cannot confirm such myself.

OP
OP

zinsavage123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Honda
Hello; Here is a link to a thread on this site about the Coyote III plasma wire cylinder coating.
FYI: Coyote 5.0 Plasma Transfer Wire Arc cylinder liners | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com

Hello; This issue is at least three years old to me. I tried to get first hand information from Ford by contacting Ford directly and by stopping at a few Ford dealerships. They were not talking. My unverified take is Ford has either taken steps to address the issues or the percentage of bad engines is small enough to not be worth any production changes.
I have followed this issue when something pops up. One item has stood out a bit. That being the move away from the 0w20 oils to 5w30. Some forum members have posted going to the thicker oils and it may be that Ford now recommends a thicker oil but i cannot confirm such myself.
I appreciate the info, yeah I have looked into this a good bit myself. So are these coyote motors the exact same ones in the f150? If so I find it odd they had this issue bad enough to get a class action suit and Ford to do a repair bulletin over....yet nothing on the mustangs?

.....but the other guy I was bickering with talking to me like some idiot making all of this up clearly is just wrong and ignorant to the situation, regardless of me not owning one yet and him actually having one.... because again, yes this was an issue in these motors whether he wants to hear it or not.

I guess at this point the determining factor for me is if they are in fact the same exact motor as the f150 then yeah I am gonna walk away from this platform, I am not gonna spend 40k on a car burning quarts of oil basically brand new....sorry to the other guy I was bickering with, but that is not normal, and don't give me the whole any car can...no that is not a common thing unless you got a worn/dogged out high mileage motor, period.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
The thread title speaks volumes; assuming the issue is real, seeking information that confirms the fear. Only believing one poster that also doesn't own a Mustang 5.0
Hello; Had I not found the Ford TSB about the issue I would have to agree with you. The TSB might be a clue the issue is real enough. How many engines are affected is hard to know.

An addition unconfirmed take I have is this plasma liner likely could be durable and once the rings are "seated" the engine should slow or stop using oil. This seems to match owner posts. A caution would be that being so thin any scoring could become a big issue. I do not know the suggested oil change mileage, but will be sticking to 3000 miles on oil myself.

Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
.....I do not know the suggested oil change mileage, but will be sticking to 3000 miles on oil myself.
You've never owned a Coyote, have you?

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
I appreciate the info, yeah I have looked into this a good bit myself. So are these coyote motors the exact same ones in the f150? If so I find it odd they had this issue bad enough to get a class action suit and Ford to do a repair bulletin over....yet nothing on the mustangs?

.....but the other guy I was bickering with talking to me like some idiot making all of this up clearly is just wrong and ignorant to the situation, regardless of me not owning one yet and him actually having one.... because again, yes this was an issue in these motors whether he wants to hear it or not.

I guess at this point the determining factor for me is if they are in fact the same exact motor as the f150 then yeah I am gonna walk away from this platform, I am not gonna spend 40k on a car burning quarts of oil basically brand new....sorry to the other guy I was bickering with, but that is not normal, and don't give me the whole any car can...no that is not a common thing unless you got a worn/dogged out high mileage motor, period.
Hello; You pose a question I do not have much knowledge about. I do thing the basic mfg process of gen III blocks is the same for the Mustang and the F-150. My WAG is there are some differences between a truck engine and a Mustang engine. Likely tuned for more low end torque. I just do not know.

I am facing the dilemma this very morning. My current pickup is out of commission and may be for some time. I have a possible deal worked out for a new F-150 with the Coyote V8. The old issues are in the back of my mind. I suspect there is no way to get clear answers. It may boil down to taking the plunge and hoping you get lucky.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
You've never owned a Coyote, have you?
Hello; OK I'll bite. No, I have not owned a Coyote. I have owned 351 W and 351 C V8's. I have owned the 300 inline six. I have worked on various other Ford engines over the decades.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP

When 0.0001% of your production is having issues. it isn't As big a deal as you are making out as.
But carry on. Again go buy an echo, And yes, they too have issues, just like every vehicle ever built.
The information age made the world even smaller, and mountains out of mole hills.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Hello; OK I'll bite. No, I have not owned a Coyote. I have owned 351 W and 351 C V8's. I have owned the 300 inline six. I have worked on various other Ford engines over the decades.
Just checking. That's what I figured.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I am not gonna spend 40k on a car burning quarts of oil basically brand new
Dude but we're here telling you that that doesn't happen. And in the odd 0.0001% chance that it does happen, you have a full 5 year warranty behind it.

yeah I am gonna walk away from this platform
That's probably for the best, for everyone.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
When 0.0001% of your production is having issues. it isn't As big a deal as you are making out as.
But carry on. Again go buy an echo, And yes, they too have issues, just like every vehicle ever built.
The information age made the world even smaller, and mountains out of mole hills.
Hello; Actually a 0.0001 % level of production issues would be a big positive to me. That would be almost bragging stuff if true. I will ask if this is a number you are using as an example or is it possibly a real Ford number.

For decades I was a big Porsche fan. Even managed to own one for over 12 years. Did a lot of work on other folks Porches for a couple decades. I lost faith in the company with the IMS bearing issue from 2001 to 2009 in the flat six engine. Affected around 10% of the engines. Turns out frequent oil changes helped those engine survive.

But i understand the criticism. I do not currently own a Coyote engine so I must be posting in the wrong thread.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Hello; To the OP. A friend who has the funds to buy nice cars came by one day years ago and asked me to go with him to retrieve his daily driver parked about 90 miles away. He had bought a used 2006 Boxter. The deal was already done by the time I found out about it or i would have advised him to pass on the car because of the IMS bearing issue. He later got a 2009 Cayman which has been a very sweet ride and does not have that particular issue.
My point being it is good practice to find out as much as you can about common issues. A problem being good information can be hard to come by.

I hope to go to look at a 2011 Mustang with the Gen I Coyote V8 later today. It has just over 6000 miles. It would be nice to be able to ask on this forum for insights about possible things to look out for.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Hello; Actually a 0.0001 % level of production issues would be a big positive to me. That would be almost bragging stuff if true. I will ask if this is a number you are using as an example or is it possibly a real Ford number.

For decades I was a big Porsche fan. Even managed to own one for over 12 years. Did a lot of work on other folks Porches for a couple decades. I lost faith in the company with the IMS bearing issue from 2001 to 2009 in the flat six engine. Affected around 10% of the engines. Turns out frequent oil changes helped those engine survive.

But i understand the criticism. I do not currently own a Coyote engine so I must be posting in the wrong thread.
Burning oil is an emissions issue, and if it was a common issue, the epa would be on it like flies on shyt. But again the information age makes mountains out of mole hills so , YMMV.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
<yoda> Buy... or buy not... there is no oil problem. /<yoda>
Sponsored