Sponsored

Does the 2.3 have a glass jaw??

EgoBoost

9/11 Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Black PP GT 6 SPEED
Lol at some people thinking I said no WOT <3K in any gear. I was replying to the question above my post. As some have said, it's common knowledge in the boost world. Just sharing for the newbies. Enjoy your cars, and drive responsibly. Oh and have enough $ in the bank just in case.
Sponsored

Wblv17

older fart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2014 5.7HEMI Ram and 2015 eco boost race red pp
Lol at some people thinking I said no WOT <3K in any gear. I was replying to the question above my post. As some have said, it's common knowledge in the boost world. Just sharing for the newbies. Enjoy your cars, and drive responsibly. Oh and have enough $ in the bank just in case.
thanks for the info in 6th gear.:cheers:

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang Ecoboost premium
So is the issue that the rods and pistons break thus destroying the internals of the engine? Would it be worth while to replace (upgrade) those as a preemptive strike? I am hoping to get a long time out of my engine, already at 24k miles, so will do what is required to hopefully see 100k. I drive a lot so that would only be about 4 years.

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
So is the issue that the rods and pistons break thus destroying the internals of the engine? Would it be worth while to replace (upgrade) those as a preemptive strike? I am hoping to get a long time out of my engine, already at 24k miles, so will do what is required to hopefully see 100k. I drive a lot so that would only be about 4 years.
Where oh where did you learn how to read a book ?

If you have to go out and spend money chasing after connecting rods , pistons and rings ..you might as well just trade yer Ecoboost for a GT .or even just buy a 302 ford engine to drop into that already built Mustang ,,,Might be cheaper ..

Run full synthetic oil with a high flash point ...264 should suffice ...

Tucsonturbos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang ecoboost
okay how about we end this. The ecoboost will NEVER be on the same level as a force induction 5.0 but it doesnt mean it isnt a good engine. unfortunately the 2.3 is the first turbo engine most people on the forum have ever had so a lot of "stupid" questions get asked but the doesnt mean it doesnt have potential. its basically a DI mazdaspeed 3 with ever turbo engine disadvantage meaning DONT rev it in a high reg at low rpm and WAIT for the oil to warm up before going at it. there is NO glass jaw in this platform just common sense. rods will give up at a point like any engine so why treat it any different? turbo engines have been around for a long time with old tech just keep in line with oil changes/up-keep and itll be like any other engine. if you up the boost past around 21psi just be ready to need a catch can and/or proper tune, science doesnt change. the only "glass jaw" aspect people should see if the DI portion meaning you should either add injectors to clean valves or seafoam/clean it ever XXXXXXmiles. NO reason this platform wont see past 100k+ miles when volvo 2.3 turbos are going past 300k easy

Sponsored

ultimate warrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
okay how about we end this. The ecoboost will NEVER be on the same level as a force induction 5.0 but it doesnt mean it isnt a good engine. unfortunately the 2.3 is the first turbo engine most people on the forum have ever had so a lot of "stupid" questions get asked but the doesnt mean it doesnt have potential. its basically a DI mazdaspeed 3 with ever turbo engine disadvantage meaning DONT rev it in a high reg at low rpm and WAIT for the oil to warm up before going at it. there is NO glass jaw in this platform just common sense. rods will give up at a point like any engine so why treat it any different? turbo engines have been around for a long time with old tech just keep in line with oil changes/up-keep and itll be like any other engine. if you up the boost past around 21psi just be ready to need a catch can and/or proper tune, science doesnt change. the only "glass jaw" aspect people should see if the DI portion meaning you should either add injectors to clean valves or seafoam/clean it ever XXXXXXmiles. NO reason this platform wont see past 100k+ miles when volvo 2.3 turbos are going past 300k easy
if the DI creates a scenario called Low Speed Pre-Ignition that previous turbo engines never had, then its a new'ish problem that apparently doesn't have a current solution. all ive heard are tips/suggestions/speculation at this point.

older turbo Nissans/Toyotas dont have this problem. you can load them up at 2500rpm regardless of gear and they wont pre-ignite themselves to death, stock or properly tuned/modified.

the fact that I can make my stock vehicle ping/knock by driving it a certain way means either the car is not tuned properly from the factory, OR it is a GDI trait that requires the driver to be mindful of its nature which negates your paragraph rant.

stevnoof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt base manual 3.31
the only time I ever heard the car ping was in 5th gear around 1800rpm under a little load at 8psi of boost. If the car is in 6th under 1800rpm my accessport will log knock even at low single digit boost levels (2-3psi) but I never hear any pings I just let off the gas and go to 5th or avoid the situation entirely. This thread has made me paranoid.

neodark

Left 4cyl @home
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
Don't be, just downshift once or twice if you wanna WOT.

gojensen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ecoboost 'vert
I reckon I'll hardly get over 4th gear on the roads around here anyway so... Pedal through the floor it is :D

danzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Eco Boost Mustang
to many issues

You know, I've added an oil separator kit to avoid expensive future maintenance costs. I've bought a different intercooler to avoid dangerously high, power robbing charge air temps. Now there's an LSPI issue. I've decided that if this thing blows up just because I happen to floor it at like 2000 rpms in 6th gear, I'm not even going to fix it. I'm just going to load it up on a flatbed truck, drive it to Michigan, unload it on the FoMoCo Executive Offices front lawn and light the son-of-a-bitch on fire. It's been done before.

Sponsored

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
You know, I've added an oil separator kit to avoid expensive future maintenance costs. I've bought a different intercooler to avoid dangerously high, power robbing charge air temps. Now there's an LSPI issue. I've decided that if this thing blows up just because I happen to floor it at like 2000 rpms in 6th gear, I'm not even going to fix it. I'm just going to load it up on a flatbed truck, drive it to Michigan, unload it on the FoMoCo Executive Offices front lawn and light the son-of-a-bitch on fire. It's been done before.
lol Ford didn't force you to buy the vehicle. Put the car on your own lawn and light it on fire. The LSPI, the DI oil issue, and stock intercoolers being subpar for performance are all common on every GTDI performance vehicle out there.

LSPI only needs to be thought of if you're flooring it and keeping it in 5th/6th gear, or going up a hill in too low of a gear. Don't lug your engine, and you're fine. That's across every vehicle.

danzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Eco Boost Mustang
glass jaw

Cosmo: I was mostly kidding when I sent that last reply, but am also getting concerned about all these issues. I plan to keep this car for the long haul as I did my last 3 Mustang GTs. You're saying the German direct injection turbos are having these issues too? I wasn't really aware of that, probably because I haven't been on their forums and my current knowledge of German cars is pretty well limited to what I read in the usual car magazines. Well, there is the VW Diesel fiasco which I've been keeping up on.

Kjewer1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang, 92 Eagle Talon
Again, you don't have to be WOT to get into the LSPI danger zone of RPM and cylinder pressure with the stock turbo. It can still happen, and that's by design. But anything you can do to lower the risk is good.

ultimate warrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
and from the little amount ive seen the car seems to have a safer A/F ratio at WOT then 3/4 throttle.

idiot car is trying to hold 14:1 ratio at 17lbs boost until I tip a bit further and hit the floor then 12:1

Kjewer1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang, 92 Eagle Talon
That's a good point. Part of the DI strategy to increase fuel economy is to run stoich AFRs to the highest load possible. GDI engines by their nature should be more tolerant to this, but I still don't like it.
Sponsored