Sponsored

Does installing Steeda H pipe affect smog test?

philipchai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible Premium (Lightning Blue)
Hi, I live in Vegas, there’s smog test require every year to renew vehicle registration. My question is my car is fully stock but if I install H pipe, will it cost smog test to fail? I am trying to install the Steeda H pipe. Please kindly let me know. Thank you
Sponsored

larr12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
It wont. You will be happy with the H pipe.

OP
OP
philipchai

philipchai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
It wont. You will be happy with the H pipe.
Okay thank you for confirming this. I saw some people talking about failed smog test with catted h pipe what not. But my car is 100% stock except going to install H pipe only from Steeda.

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
A catted H pipe would be used to connect long tube headers to a cat-back exhaust system and uses aftermarket catalytic converters that may or may not reduce emissions as well as factory cats, depending on their quality. Some States would fail that setup simply based on a visual inspection because the factory cats had been removed.

The Steeda H pipe just replaces the factory resonator and doesn't affect the cats, so you'll be fine.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
As far as emissions it doesn't affect that at all. However if you have a visual inspection they might flag it for non factory equipement, or so I have been told. I am so glad I live in a state that doesn't have all that BS...

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
We have emissions testing here in IL but no visual. Just a computer hookup with the car running. It’s every few years so I haven’t had mine tested yet but there are plenty of folks here that have res deletes and aftermarket catbacks with no issues related to emissions.

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I live in Vegas also and have had a cat back on every vehicle I have owned in the last 30 years and have never had an issue. The H pipe in our S550’s don’t have the cats in them, those are closer to the engine, so you are replacing exhaust parts downstream of the cats, no issue and perfectly legal.

Smog places used to always do a visual inspection, they had a pole with a mirror on it and would visually look at the cats. I can’t recall them using the mirror in years, and I have went to the same smog check place for the last 20 years. They do still take a quick look under the hood, but other then that, plug the machine in, run the test and your done.

Doug

OP
OP
philipchai

philipchai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
I live in Vegas also and have had a cat back on every vehicle I have owned in the last 30 years and have never had an issue. The H pipe in our S550’s don’t have the cats in them, those are closer to the engine, so you are replacing exhaust parts downstream of the cats, no issue and perfectly legal.

Smog places used to always do a visual inspection, they had a pole with a mirror on it and would visually look at the cats. I can’t recall them using the mirror in years, and I have went to the same smog check place for the last 20 years. They do still take a quick look under the hood, but other then that, plug the machine in, run the test and your done.

Doug
Oh thank god you are able to confirm this as a Vegas local. Oh okay, there’s one smog place where I just did the test with them where that guy didn’t look at bottom of my SUV, so I probably will go back there. Thank you!

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
From a manufacturer perspective, I have not seen a H-pipe cause any issues with a test like you mentioned but looks like you have other solid feedback above.

Thank you,

TJ

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1

Doug
There are 7 counties in and around Cleveland that still does this, however they also now have a self serve kiosk that you just pull up and plug in, no inspection.

Sponsored
OP
OP
philipchai

philipchai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
From a manufacturer perspective, I have not seen a H-pipe cause any issues with a test like you mentioned but looks like you have other solid feedback above.

Thank you,

TJ
I actually just installed it today. But we didn’t use the clamp, we just welded it

OP
OP
philipchai

philipchai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
We have emissions testing here in IL but no visual. Just a computer hookup with the car running. It’s every few years so I haven’t had mine tested yet but there are plenty of folks here that have res deletes and aftermarket catbacks with no issues related to emissions.
Well it is installed today, definitely a bit louder but not too loud. But the shop welded it and not using the clamp since I’m not doing any other mod. Thank you for letting me know though.
Sponsored