Does convertible lose features?

nick112288

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
95 Ram 2500
So I've done some looking and think I know the answer, but not 100% sure.

Does the convertible lose any features vs the coupe? Specifically the PP1? Obviously you lose rigidity, rear spoiler is deleted, and added weight, but am I missing anything?

I know on the Camaro you can't even pick the 1LE package. That means no eLSD, lose the various drive modes, no PDR available.

No plans on autocross, MAYBE a trip or 2 to the strip just to see what it can do. Eventually wouldn't mind some kind of FI just for a little more fun. Just wanting quick, fun cruiser. No convertible for the challenger, and Camaro loses too many features, so looks like Mustang is the choice!
Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I was cross shopping a replacement for my '16 GT convertible (PP, M6, loaded ..) and considered the ZL1 convertible - even in ZL1 flavor the convertibles loses the eLSD (and doesn't have the PDR option). In 15-17, both the convertible __and__ the coupe lost the rear wing with the Perf Pack (it was only MY18+ where it was retained on the coupe).

So, other than that, and the sort of "physical package" (resulting in a little more weight, a little less rigidity), it's the exact same as a coupe. The PP1 package on a convertible probably even has more affect with respect to reducing flex.

FWIW, I did not buy the ZL1, wound up with a '19 GT convertible, A10, PP, Magenride (can't recommend this enough), etc.

OP
OP

nick112288

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
95 Ram 2500
I was cross shopping a replacement for my '16 GT convertible (PP, M6, loaded ..) and considered the ZL1 convertible - even in ZL1 flavor the convertibles loses the eLSD (and doesn't have the PDR option). In 15-17, both the convertible __and__ the coupe lost the rear wing with the Perf Pack (it was only MY18+ where it was retained on the coupe).

So, other than that, and the sort of "physical package" (resulting in a little more weight, a little less rigidity), it's the exact same as a coupe. The PP1 package on a convertible probably even has more affect with respect to reducing flex.

FWIW, I did not buy the ZL1, wound up with a '19 GT convertible, A10, PP, Magenride (can't recommend this enough), etc.
Yeah if the Camaro didn't lose so much with the convertible it would be a serious contender, but as is I don't like that you lose features BECAUSE of the convertible.

Now I just need to decide if I want the manual or automatic. I'd LOVE a manual with a convertible for weekend cruising, but I just can't look past all the claimed issues with the 18+ manual.

Abby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah if the Camaro didn't lose so much with the convertible it would be a serious contender, but as is I don't like that you lose features BECAUSE of the convertible.

Now I just need to decide if I want the manual or automatic. I'd LOVE a manual with a convertible for weekend cruising, but I just can't look past all the claimed issues with the 18+ manual.
If your even thinking about the automatic, go for it. The A10 is an amazing transmission in my opinion

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I've been driving manuals for the last couple of decades (including a few 'manual only' cars), but my most recent car is an automatic. The A10 is pretty amazing (read up on some of the tech), and it gives me the ultimate cruiser + killer performance - seriously, the Gen 3 Coyote combined with the A10 and the 3.55 gears in Perf Pack make it nasty fast around the city.

I originally went manual because I wanted a PP car, now that's no longer a requirement.

Side note: the SmartTOP module "fixes" the top functionality vs. the Camaro/ZL1, highly recommended (see the thread in this area about it ...)

Sponsored

GW65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT auto convertible
I went for the A10, and in D it works really well. In S, it's a bit too frantic for my liking...and in paddle-shift mode there are just too many gears - you spend your whole life flapping paddles for no obvious benefit, and from rest it's really tedious because it insists on starting in 1st rather than 2nd (as my previous paddle-shifters have).

OP
OP

nick112288

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
95 Ram 2500
Yeah if the manual was stronger I'd have a harder time choosing.

Now as I understand it in D the paddles manual shift, but will shift up and down on it's own and revert to auto after a bit. S if you hit the paddles it won't go back to auto, but will up shift at redline, and S & S+ it will hold the gears until you shift? Does S & S+ do any shifting without input from you?

OP
OP

nick112288

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
95 Ram 2500
The amount of misinformation on these A10 threads is astounding. Try RTFM, it has all of the correct info.
I was going off of memory from a post I read on hear, which part did I get wrong?