Sponsored

Does anyone else find it difficult to shift into 2nd gear sometimes?

AMP-D

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ampdistributing.com
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt
what's the big gear behind the smaller gear with the bad teeth? The smaller gear looks way too thin to be doing any real power transfer
The small teeth are called engagement teeth. The larger teeth mesh with the cluster gear and transfer power through the unit. When you are grinding gears or it pops out of gear, its the small teeth taking all the abuse. I've seen gears in other model transmissions take an absolute beating and the teeth don't look anywhere near this damaged. The good news is, we are developing a high performance replacement gear for it that will hold up better to abuse.

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
The small teeth are called engagement teeth. The larger teeth mesh with the cluster gear and transfer power through the unit. When you are grinding gears or it pops out of gear, its the small teeth taking all the abuse. I've seen gears in other model transmissions take an absolute beating and the teeth don't look anywhere near this damaged. The good news is, we are developing a high performance replacement gear for it that will hold up better to abuse.
is this is a different part than what is referred to as the synchronizer cone?

http://www.gboxweb.com/synchronizer.html
synchroassy2.png

Sponsored

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
Same thing but on the MT82, its a 1 piece gear that includes the constant mesh and synchronizer cone incorporated together.
your photo would explain why some people complain about their MT82. At least when its not cold weather / gear oil related. I haven't spent any time on the Challenger / Camaro forums. Do you know if the Tremec syncros can take more abuse? Plenty of people are happy with the MT82, but that may be because they are skilled with manual transmissions. And have been the only driver. If they hand over their keys to the friendly neighborhood mechanic or their teenage boy, there may be different results.

AMP-D

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ampdistributing.com
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt
your photo would explain why some people complain about their MT82. At least when its not cold weather / gear oil related. I haven't spent any time on the Challenger / Camaro forums. Do you know if the Tremec syncros can take more abuse? Plenty of people are happy with the MT82, but that may be because they are skilled with manual transmissions. And have been the only driver. If they hand over their keys to the friendly neighborhood mechanic or their teenage boy, there may be different results.
The damage to the 2nd gear is from a few things.

1) Too much flex in the drivetrain which causes the shift gates to misalign while trying to hit the next gear

2) Poor forging quality of the gear itself

3) Clutch not releasing properly

4) Synchronizer ring inadequate to shift at higher rpms

Problem #1 can be resolved with a mounted shifter like MGW or through a bracket from Blowfish.

Problem #2 can be resolved with a replacement 2nd gear which we are working on.

Problem #3 can be resolved with a better clutch and higher flow supply line.

Problem #4 can be resolved with a carbon fiber/bronze sintered hybrid ring like Tremec now offers as a replacement for the TR6060, which we are also working on.

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT

Problem #1 can be resolved with a mounted shifter like MGW or through a bracket from Blowfish.

Problem #4 can be resolved with a carbon fiber/bronze sintered hybrid ring like Tremec now offers as a replacement for the TR6060, which we are also working on.
this is a lot of stuff to fix. Almost makes me wish I got an Auto :headbonk:

Since you mentioned the TR6060 in #4, am I to assume that the syncs in those are also vulnerable to abuse? How about Tremec Magnum XL ? Any better?

After watching a few youtube videos on the topic, it appears that syncs are relatively fragile even in high torque transmissions.

IowaPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White 2015 GT Base --SOLD
Sometimes when I'm either downshifting or upshifting into second gear there is an extreme amount of resistance while trying to get it into gear. I have to pull considerably harder on the shifter to get it into gear and it just feels so wrong...

There is also a slight whirring sound when im driving coming through from the shifter. I don't know what's up. Any insight would be very helpful. Thanks.
I took my M6 into the dealer because of this bothering me, and all they said is that the clutch is so big that it makes noise if it's babied. Seems to me like just a way to get out of having to really look into it and warrant a part or 2.

Sponsored

zxd9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
I'm getting this on my car also. Yesterday I was experimenting with different techniques to see if I could get rid of it. Double clutching worked every time, but I don't want to have to do that. The other thing that worked is to pull the shifter through the neutral zone towards 2nd but stop just as you feel resistance push up slightly towards 1st and then pull down into 2nd. Most times it was a smooth shift, sometimes a tiny grind but much better than not doing it. Need more attempts to get this method worked out consistently.

IowaPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White 2015 GT Base --SOLD
I'm getting this on my car also. Yesterday I was experimenting with different techniques to see if I could get rid of it. Double clutching worked every time, but I don't want to have to do that. The other thing that worked is to pull the shifter through the neutral zone towards 2nd but stop just as you feel resistance push up slightly towards 1st and then pull down into 2nd. Most times it was a smooth shift, sometimes a tiny grind but much better than not doing it. Need more attempts to get this method worked out consistently.
I have also found that double clutching works to rid the noise. It's not something that I want to have to do all the time, so I just ease my way into second, or I power it in. I've noticed that the warmer the car is, the more friendly it is going into gear.

AMP-D

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ampdistributing.com
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt

1) Too much flex in the drivetrain which causes the shift gates to misalign while trying to hit the next gear

2) Poor forging quality of the gear itself

3) Clutch not releasing properly

4) Synchronizer ring inadequate to shift at higher rpms

Our prototype is on the left and currently under testing. Once we are satisfied with it, it will go into production. Even though the two appear identical, our gear is designed similar to the TR6060 2nd gear in both material and processing of the gear itself.
MT822G:FordMT82gear.jpg

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
personally never had this problem, id say 75% of the tranny complaints are eased with changing the fluids...

Or bolt something expensive and shiny on it.
Sponsored