Sponsored

Do your neighbors complain about your exhaust?

CCCP1999

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
CHAS
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Now, I'll say first and foremost I do have probably one of the louder exhaust combos on the market - Corsa Xtreme and MAK Cat deletes.

So I've had a few silly complaints from surrounding apartment complexes with people accusing me of doing 90 up a 25mph hill. Yeah, right. They insist that it must be true because of how loud my car is. Anyways, all that's gone to the way side, I just coast down the hills in neutral when leaving home now.

So, today I was exiting the highway and sped up from about 70-85 to get around a slow Mercedes Benz SUV. Lo and behold, it was my neighbor and boy he was not happy. Must've been the downshift that really pissed him off as we were exiting the highway. Long story short, he follows me to my house and proceeds to go apeshit - "Hey Buddy! I understand your loud exhaust is an extension of your little dick but I'm tired of this shit! I have to hear it every single fucking day and not to mention the fact that you just cut me off almost causing me to have an accident! I have a buddy who's a highway patrolman, he'll be paying you a visit to see if your exhaust system is legal or not. FUCK YOU!" I'll give him this much, the little dick joke was pretty funny. Haha

Now keep in mind, I'm just sitting in my car the whole time looking at him with a half-smile shocked that he went out of his way for all this. So after he was done, I simply said "cool, see you around". There's no way I'm going to let a man older than my father coax me into getting into a physical altercation with him and subsequently putting a huge negative stamp on my personal record.

So, basically, what can come of this? I love my exhaust combo and understand it's loud but I don't rev in the neighborhood, do burnouts, speed, etc. I let it warm up in the garage and short-shift my way out then open it up miles away as I'm merging onto the highway (albeit I'm sure you can still hear it).

Being that we're in CA, the state of wonderful emission laws and the best gun laws (sarcasm), what can he do?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for your time.
- David
Maybe i should come visit and we both can rev em up.
Sponsored

15GTCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT A6
To the OP, if any motorist claims that you are driving erratic and calls in your license number, any LEO could stop you and then cite you for loud exhaust. There was a member from Ca. that got tickets and had to return everything to stock so the referee would sign him off. It cost him a bundle though.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
I've tried cold starting with the garage open and it set off the surrounding car alarms. Lol
Assuming you aren't being an ass about it, not quite sure how your neighbors would be complaining when you are just driving through the neighborhood. It should be pretty easy to keep it reasonably quiet when just cruising at 25-30ish mph.

For cold starts, talk to Lund. He will give you a 'cold start' tune that will drastically quieten them down.

OP
OP
SD_GT

SD_GT

4-Banger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nope
Vehicle(s)
Red.
Maybe I'll look into trading for the touring mufflers if it's really that offensive. I don't pay for my neighbor's property nor do they pay for the property I live on, but I don't want to be an asshole for no reason. I'll milk the catless Xtremes for as long as I can and if necessary trade. I love the Xtremes almost sound exotic in a sense though.

OP
OP
SD_GT

SD_GT

4-Banger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nope
Vehicle(s)
Red.
Assuming you aren't being an ass about it, not quite sure how your neighbors would be complaining when you are just driving through the neighborhood. It should be pretty easy to keep it reasonably quiet when just cruising at 25-30ish mph.

For cold starts, talk to Lund. He will give you a 'cold start' tune that will drastically quieten them down.
Really?? I didn't know that. That would be awesome!

Sponsored

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Really?? I didn't know that. That would be awesome!
The tune update is free. He calls it the tune for 'loud exhaust guys'. It will still be loud, but significantly less so than now. This said, I still start mine with the garage door shut.

Edit: as an aside, how the hell have you been mentioned in 41 posts? Your neighbors all create an account here and complain about you by name? :)

gtaindetail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
All my vehicles are loud, I live in the sticks, so it doesn't matter. That said, when I lived in SF, CA my vehicle was loud.. I did have one person whine a bit and I was pulled over once (for speeding) and the CHP officer checked my exhaust out. I doubt you have anything to worry about.

OP
OP
SD_GT

SD_GT

4-Banger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nope
Vehicle(s)
Red.
The tune update is free. He calls it the tune for 'loud exhaust guys'. It will still be loud, but significantly less so than now. This said, I still start mine with the garage door shut.

Edit: as an aside, how the hell have you been mentioned in 41 posts? Your neighbors all create an account here and complain about you by name? :)
Nice of Lund to think about us haha.

Yeah, that's probably it! Hahaha

All my vehicles are loud, I live in the sticks, so it doesn't matter. That said, when I lived in SF, CA my vehicle was loud.. I did have one person whine a bit and I was pulled over once (for speeding) and the CHP officer checked my exhaust out. I doubt you have anything to worry about.
I've been pulled over for minor infractions and have only gotten a fix-it ticket for my exhaust once. Honestly, I didn't change a thing and got it signed off right on the due date, paid my fees and that was that.

Go do a line lock out front of his house.
I'm considering moving to Texas or Nebraska in the next few months or so. If that becomes a reality, I'll definitely leave him with something to remember me by.

batz1917

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT Premium (401a) w/ PP
i always wonder how the 10-20 seconds someone hears my car can possibly ruin their day. I guess I kinda understand since we live in a country where everyone is offended by everything...

Sponsored
OP
OP
SD_GT

SD_GT

4-Banger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nope
Vehicle(s)
Red.
i always wonder how the 10-20 seconds someone hears my car can possibly ruin their day. I guess I kinda understand since we live in a country where everyone is offended by everything...
:hail::hail:

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
Exactly right. Too bad for them, I can't wait for headers.

homegrown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stacy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Manual CO
I have to listen to the thump of their crap music ... they have to listen to my loud exhaust

OP
OP
SD_GT

SD_GT

4-Banger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nope
Vehicle(s)
Red.
It would seem that everyone in this thread has been in the same situation that I am, more or less, at least once. Seems fair to guess that local PD won't come into my garage and inspect my car with a fine-tooth comb either. What a douche. I'm going out for a late night drive tonight, I'll let it warm up in the garage as always. If he gets mad, oh well. I need a GoPro for shit like this. :lol:

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
I have a Mach XV which is a domesticated rabbit by comparison to what some of you have and still get looks doing 30 down my street. Yet these are the same people who have family with extremely loud Harleys, pick-up trucks with modded exhausts, sport bikes, and a few with refrigerator-sized subwoofers that rattle things off my walls.

Though there is an upside to everybody being offended by everything; we can do away with the pretense of not trying to be offensive :D You should print this image out and tape it to his driver-side door window.

cover256x256-8fef53409c4e4c97a2a573cd2f114963.jpg
Sponsored