Sponsored

Do your neighbors complain about your exhaust?

MarkH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP Vert
That's just one neighbor and sounds like an ass. I would ask other neighbors that live close by if the noise is a problem for them and then make a decision as to any change up. Side note, as soon as my car fires up I back it out of the garage to eliminate the echo and I never leave early or get in late.
Sponsored

Rambl3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
Good points, but could an officer really walk into my garage and ask me to start my car? I know my exhaust is a risky combo in CA, but I don't see a CHP officer walking into my house telling me he's going to look at my car. I'm not anti-LEO at all, just curious as to how this would work.

I could see that happening. Are you a LEO by any chance? How did you know the code off the top of your head like that? Lol
I guess they could also call the local authorities (not CHP, maybe SDPD?) and complain about the doing "90" down the street. In which case, they would come knocking on your door and give you a warning but that's about as far as they could go without hard evidence.

Nah, I'm not a LEO. I'm a Juan :p

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
I live in WV. People know better than to start shit over stupid shit around here. Most of my neighbors are cool though, especially since I live in a neighborhood where the average home sq. ft. is 4,800. I do have to say, my last neighborhood was full of dick-weeds who thought that their shit didn't stink. Average sq. ft there.. 1,800. Go figure.

OP
OP
SD_GT

SD_GT

4-Banger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nope
Vehicle(s)
Red.
It is likely that there are others who do NOT like your exhaust, but they are just keeping quiet. In a way, you can be thankful to the one guy that spoke up (and I'm sure the freeway incident sparked this), because he may represent a larger "silent" group.

I was at Mustang week and heard that 2nd gear pull every 5 seconds or so all around town. But at the 6g dinner in North Myrtle Beach, one car exited and was the loudest damn exhaust I had heard all week. I can't imagine how that guy even drives such a car.

I'll bet your neighbor has placed a call or two by now. Sorry for your (and his) trouble.
Most of my neighbors that are directly around me don't mind as long as I'm not ripping through the neighborhood (easy guidelines to follow). This guy is much further up the street and I only see him every so often when he walks his dog by the house. I would always make it a point to say "hey, how's it going?" to be courteous and not be "that guy" that never waves or anything. Now I'm going to continue saying hi but with a huge smile. Haha.

Was that loud Mustang black by any chance? Lol

When do they not.

lol...

LT with turndowns, I guess I can understand.
Truuuue. I bet you're louder than me though, if I ran your exact set-up.. Lord, have mercy. I'd be making new "friends" every day. :lol:

OP
OP
SD_GT

SD_GT

4-Banger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nope
Vehicle(s)
Red.
That's just one neighbor and sounds like an ass. I would ask other neighbors that live close by if the noise is a problem for them and then make a decision as to any change up. Side note, as soon as my car fires up I back it out of the garage to eliminate the echo and I never leave early or get in late.
The other neighbors who are directly by me don't seem to mind when I've spoke to them about it. I've tried cold starting with the garage open and it set off the surrounding car alarms. Lol

I guess they could also call the local authorities (not CHP, maybe SDPD?) and complain about the doing "90" down the street. In which case, they would come knocking on your door and give you a warning but that's about as far as they could go without hard evidence.

Nah, I'm not a LEO. I'm a Juan :p
What a pointless visit. Waste of Law Enforcement's time. :headbonk:

I live in WV. People know better than to start shit over stupid shit around here. Most of my neighbors are cool though, especially since I live in a neighborhood where the average home sq. ft. is 4,800. I do have to say, my last neighborhood was full of dick-weeds who thought that their shit didn't stink. Average sq. ft there.. 1,800. Go figure.
Nicer neighborhoods usually equal nicer people in my experience. That's a big house man! Congrats!

Sponsored

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
My neighbors don't make my payments or my house payment but I also don't get down on it ever in the neighborhood. way to many kids around.

noone has never said anything to me about the xtreme other than it sounds amazing.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Now, I'll say first and foremost I do have probably one of the louder exhaust combos on the market - Corsa Xtreme and MAK Cat deletes.

So I've had a few silly complaints from surrounding apartment complexes with people accusing me of doing 90 up a 25mph hill. Yeah, right. They insist that it must be true because of how loud my car is. Anyways, all that's gone to the way side, I just coast down the hills in neutral when leaving home now.

So, today I was exiting the highway and sped up from about 70-85 to get around a slow Mercedes Benz SUV. Lo and behold, it was my neighbor and boy he was not happy. Must've been the downshift that really pissed him off as we were exiting the highway. Long story short, he follows me to my house and proceeds to go apeshit - "Hey Buddy! I understand your loud exhaust is an extension of your little dick but I'm tired of this shit! I have to hear it every single fucking day and not to mention the fact that you just cut me off almost causing me to have an accident! I have a buddy who's a highway patrolman, he'll be paying you a visit to see if your exhaust system is legal or not. FUCK YOU!" I'll give him this much, the little dick joke was pretty funny. Haha

Now keep in mind, I'm just sitting in my car the whole time looking at him with a half-smile shocked that he went out of his way for all this. So after he was done, I simply said "cool, see you around". There's no way I'm going to let a man older than my father coax me into getting into a physical altercation with him and subsequently putting a huge negative stamp on my personal record.

So, basically, what can come of this? I love my exhaust combo and understand it's loud but I don't rev in the neighborhood, do burnouts, speed, etc. I let it warm up in the garage and short-shift my way out then open it up miles away as I'm merging onto the highway (albeit I'm sure you can still hear it).

Being that we're in CA, the state of wonderful emission laws and the best gun laws (sarcasm), what can he do?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for your time.
- David
I got a DD. That was my solution lol. I DD'd it before with stock headers/cats, an H-pipe, and Pypes muffler deletes and it was loud. I always felt bad doing cold starts in my driveway at 7 AM. Now I have O/R headers and a 3" exhaust it's just insanely loud. Only time I have left in it in the morning was last Saturday around 5 AM for Cars and Coffee and I felt like the biggest jerk. No one has complained to me, though. When I come home in it I just put it in neutral and roll down my slightly inclined cul de sac.

Chp can't inspect your car without a warrant and they won't give them one for such a small infraction. Fuck that guy. Really hate when people tell others what to do with their property.
That is correct IF it is parked in his driveway I believe. If he gets pulled over he is screwed though.

I'm assuming they can't inspect my car without a warrant while it's on my property but they could still pull me over and check under my hood, etc. Correct?
Correct. It's the roulette game all us loud/catless guys play.

matteos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
That was a funny dick joke LOL.

Exhausts on cars don't bother me, but when some asshole drives by on a Chopper 6 blocks away and sets off all the car alarms on my street... Fuck that guy!! Those Harley's are the loudest, super annoying.

It's Cali you're in, I'm sure they'll find a way to take them off you. Are exhausts even legal to put on in this state?

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
My town's police carry decibel meters. If they cite you once...not too bad a fine. The fines go up fast after that. And the cops watch for you. Both Harleys and hot rodders get ticketed all the time. No problem if you are the only one listening to your exhaust.
But driving around the neighborhood at 1 AM at 90-100 dB...no different than pissing on the fresh produce at the grocery store.

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
I'm assuming they can't inspect my car without a warrant while it's on my property but they could still pull me over and check under my hood, etc. Correct? It seems like it really got to him. I wonder if he's got a hot daughter anywhere between 20-35. Then I can really ruin his day. :lol: Just kidding, I'm not that much of a dick. :cheers:
Sheesh, don't be such a gentleman if he has a daughter 18 or up its fair game. Also you can't be that MUCH of a dick as he clearly pointed out your dick is rather small!

Sponsored

S550ilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Same guy complaining about a Mustang exhaust probably wouldnt say a WORD if it was some older gentlemen (someone his elder) with a muscle car/Harley/diesel pickup/etc. But oh the younger guy with the "loud car"...Call the damn cops. Neighbor behind me is the biggest dick ive ever seen. He put up NO TRESPASSING signs on his shed when my neighbor COP friend was having his fence redone. Old man was bitching about wanting no one on his property when they were installing a fence. NEWSFLASH dipshit, ya kinda have to a little to do the job...He's a real RICHARD NOGGIN!!!!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I kept my resonator to be mindful of my neighbors and not be the neighborhood ass clown. I go to work at 5:30am. Would love to take it off though.

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brock
Vehicle(s)
18 Audi A3, 21 F150
My neighbors love my car and the kids in the neighborhood know when i am coming.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
No one cares out here in the country. Most of my neighbors have big lots and big trucks and some of them have motorcycles and lifted trucks with straight pipes. They pop fireworks all the time and have loud parties... live and let live out here. My car is definitely the loudest but my home is right at the entrance to our neighborhood, so luckily (for my neighbors) I don't have to drive past everyone's house when I'm coming and going.

There is a kid in our neighborhood with a SUPER loud and high-pitched sport bike who I wish would just die, because he revs it over and over again as he drives past people's houses, and he takes his bike out late at night to drive 100+ on the empty roads where we live. It's so loud, the sound carries over the fields, like hearing an Indy car doing laps outside your house. I wouldn't care if it wasn't while I was trying to sleep.

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The biggest reason I could never go with the Xtremes or Roush + resonator delete, let alone with headers, is that either would be ridiculously loud at cold start, and ridiculously loud with any sort of acceleration. I feel bad enough at 7:30 AM with my cold starts, and my exhaust is not that loud, as far as these go. I can hear it idling outside 50 ft away through my closed door, so I can only imagine what cold start is like.

Your neighbor is an old, grumpy NIMBY, but I'd probably be pissed with your exhaust as a neighbor too, even though it probably sounds great.
Sponsored