Sponsored

Do you guys say hi to other S550 mustang owners on the road?

Blown86GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I always flash my high beams or give a thumbs up to the modded 5.0's, Ecoboosts, and V6's. I always disregard the stock looking Mustangs because more often than not, they're not car enthusiasts like we are (and they don't give a damn).

I always catch people checking out my car on the highway, when I'm parked, etc. It's a good feeling!
Too bad you use "stock" looking Mustangs as the threshold to define who is an enthusiast...some of us are Mustang rich (I own 3) and my 2018 is bone stock. However, back in the garage...that's where the money has gone. I'd say I'm more enthusiast than most since I've owned Mustangs since I was 16...

mustang_puppy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Vehicle(s)
2015 black Ecoboost fastback
I don't, but only because S550s are fairly common around here. I would if another S550 owner did wave at me. There are very few forum members in my area. My personal view about my car is that it need not draw too much attention to itself, sleeper mode.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I was waved at the other day and returned it. I was travelling through a small town though, so maybe that had something to do with it. No mods on mine, although I have a Mishimoto catch can to install, but nothing else planned. I’ve been wrenching for more than 40 years on my stuff so I wouldn’t ignore a stock car. Not all enthusiasts are modders. Of course, there are those who would deride me for buying an EB.

Sponsored

TruBlu16GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darrin
Vehicle(s)
'16 Blue GT Base
Generally I do. I normally flash the peace sign from the steering wheel. There is a "bro" type dude around here with a black V6 who just glares at me (who knows/ or cares why) but there's an older gent with a red V6 fastback and another white California Special. Again, both older gents who are quite surprised to see someone half their age in a car of this caliber.

But generally speaking, if I don't initiate some kind of gesture, the other drivers' certainly don't.

I did have some ratty old truck do a burnout next to me at a stoplight a few weeks ago. Typical though, not a cop around to teach the ass a lesson. I certainly wasn't going to reciprocate.

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
I always flash or give a thumbs up not just to other S550 owners, but all Mustang drivers. When I had my Fox bodied car as a kid I did that as well. Today though I do notice people don’t do it as much or seem surprised when I do it but will then respond. The older people like myself generally seem to be more likely to acknowledge you.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Old mustangs I'll definitely give a nod of head or something...

Something new? Even modded? Not really... so many of them, that would seem odd.

Staring at some guy at the light for two minutes, trying desperately to get his attention... creepy. :oops:

monnietron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Monica
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
When I first got the car, I waved to all other Mustangs. Then I realized Mustang drivers around here aren't very friendly lol, so only sometimes now. Then I feel bad if they wave and I don't respond in time :eek:

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
It is an odd phenomena. I usually try to acknowledge other Mustangs on the road if it's timely and safe to do so. Owning a convertible I have noticed that the Mustang Vert crowd (at least in Wisconsin) is VERY responsive and friendly. I get the feeling that they get how unique and special the convertible ownership experience is and everyone seems to be having a lot of fun driving them around. I don't think I've had a single Vert owner who did not wave back. I try to acknowledge and appreciate all of the makes/models because I honestly love them all. It's weird how you develop this sensory perception and can spot a Mustang just about anywhere, even the gray and black stealth models. I have run across some people though who are just driving a Mustang as a utilitarian thing which you can often tell by how it's kept. They always look like they might as well be driving a minivan or a ford Taurus.

Sponsored

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
I don't even make eye contact with other Mustang drivers... just because you bought the same motor vehicle as I did doesn't make you my best friend.
But it's hard not to say hi back to someone who is just being nice. It's just a little weird. I nod back but never initiate a wave or anything.

I've had some drivers let me merge into traffic in a way they never did before. Probably the same people that have said "cool car" to me in person. The Mustang is more meaningful than most other cars, and everyone recognizes the pony from a movie or somewhere.

Thinking back I get as much attention from non-Mustang owners as other Stangs.

I guess it could be cool if we had our own wave like the Jeep wave, but I can't imagine that ever happening for the Mustang. Besides, anytime I drive either my dad's or my brother's Wranglers for extended periods of time, I always forget to wave haha.
As you know it isn't the Jeep wave anyway, it's the Wrangler wave, the last cool Jeep. I had a Wrangler for years and the wave was a real thing until everybody got a new 4 door Wrangler. Then it became an older (2 door/modded) Wrangler wave because the flood of new owners didn't understand.

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Nope. Here in Houston, everyone in another Mustang automatically assumes you are the enemy and just wants to either give you a glare of death or fly past at 100+ and weave through traffic because they think it's cool.

I don't even get conversations from other 5.0 or EcoBoost guys at gas stations. The only time I had someone come up and talk was a guy with a New Edge GT convertible. Real young kid, maybe 23 or so, but nice guy and we had a cool 15 minute chat. He told me what he had done to his car, I let him check mine out since he hadn't seen an '18 before up close. Good experience.

For the most part though, I just keep to myself to avoid accidentally setting someone off. Texas has the worst drivers in the States for a reason, you know.

scottycameron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP1 Orange Fury
Nope. Here in Houston, everyone in another Mustang automatically assumes you are the enemy and just wants to either give you a glare of death or fly past at 100+ and weave through traffic because they think it's cool.

I don't even get conversations from other 5.0 or EcoBoost guys at gas stations. The only time I had someone come up and talk was a guy with a New Edge GT convertible. Real young kid, maybe 23 or so, but nice guy and we had a cool 15 minute chat. He told me what he had done to his car, I let him check mine out since he hadn't seen an '18 before up close. Good experience.

For the most part though, I just keep to myself to avoid accidentally setting someone off. Texas has the worst drivers in the States for a reason, you know.
Man, ever spent time on 95 in Southern Florida? Houston drivers are tame compared to the barely controlled mayhem down there...

iSpeed27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DiB GT
Dallas area here. Driving around here didn't really start getting bad until people from California started moving here with Toyota, Liberty Mutual, and State Farm. Now it's impossible to get around without feeling like everyone else thinks they're driving a bumper car.

So far I've only had four other Mustangs acknowledge my presence. One was a friend of mine who bought a 15 Ecoboost, and another is a neighbor with a 14 V6. The third had a Roush Stage 3 S550 with other mods and drag radials, stopped to fill up next to me, and we talked about our cars for fifteen minutes, and the fourth was a guy with a white S550 GT who drove along side me on the service road of a nearby highway. We shared a thumbs-up. Because we were doing exactly the speed limit.

Every single other Mustang I've come across on the street, whomever was behind the wheel would always go out of their way to make sure I knew they weren't going to acknowlege me. For most people it's usually an inferiority complex, as in how dare I have the same car as them because they're special and more important than me.

Remander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT Fastback
Some interaction on the roads, but gas stations are a different story. If there's another Mustang filling up, it's like a meeting of the brotherhood, lol!
Sponsored