Sponsored

Do you ever hit the wrong button?

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
So I casually reach for the sunglasses holder and accidentally hit the trunk release button. Then have to get out and do the "walk of shame" to close it. :frusty:

I've also activated the wipers accidentally when moving my hand from the shifter to the steering wheel in a turn. :headbang:

Has this happened to anyone else? Is there something on your car you find yourself activating by accident?
I do this all the time!!!

It's annoying from a consumer standpoint and I don't really understand it from an engineering standpoint. Why put one "button" that controls the sunglasses compartment right next to a button that controls the trunk that if you hit it you'll have to get out of the car to correct it?

I typically only do it when I'm stopped in my garage or parking spot because that's when I get out or put away my sunglasses.

I might just be a slow moron though because I also keep using my right hand to turn off a keyed ignition that doesn't exist.... :headbonk:

-Emt1581
Sponsored

OP
OP

Rob00GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Ragtop
Last night when leaving the movie theater on date night with the wife (BABY DRIVER, it's a great film!) we were about to pull away with the top down when she asked for a hat to cover her hair. It was in the trunk and I actually managed to punch the sunglasses holder while fumbling for the trunk release.

Guess hitting the wrong button work both ways. Who knew.

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
Last night when leaving the movie theater on date night with the wife (BABY DRIVER, it's a great film!) we were about to pull away with the top down when she asked for a hat to cover her hair. It was in the trunk and I actually managed to punch the sunglasses holder while fumbling for the trunk release.

Guess hitting the wrong button work both ways. Who knew.
When you did that, did you think about this thread and how you were going to post it? :)

Chaos_Agent

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red Premium GT
So I casually reach for the sunglasses holder and accidentally hit the trunk release button. Then have to get out and do the "walk of shame" to close it. :frusty:

I've also activated the wipers accidentally when moving my hand from the shifter to the steering wheel in a turn. :headbang:

Has this happened to anyone else? Is there something on your car you find yourself activating by accident?
I've activated the emergency flashing lights several times. The button is just above the tray where I dump change, phone, cables, etc.

White Stallion 11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
'15 EB Prem Vert w/PP, '20 GT Prem Vert w/PP
Another case of wrong button . . . Actually wrong pedal. Mom had an ancient Chrysler when I was a kid. It had power drum brakes - about 1/2" of pedal travel between nothing and full lock-up. No ABS in those days. And the pedal was wide; maybe 8" - 10" or so.

You see where I'm going.

My car was a stick. When driving her car, can you imagine putting your right hand out to shift, pushing in the "clutch" and mashing the left side of that darn brake pedal like it was a clutch? The brakes screech, the car lurches and you plant your hand in the dash; the metal dash, of a 1965 Chrysler. Ouch. You'd think a kid could learn. But no.....
Yup. Been there (more or less). Same kind of upshift coming out of an Interstate on-ramp in a mid-1970's rental Olds Cutlass. In the rain. One of those never-to-be-forgotten Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot moments if ever there was one.

Norm
These are the joys that the younger generations will never experience . . . learning the art of shifting gears in old trucks and cars before owning cars of pride that have manual transmissions.

It is absolutely hysterical to listen to millennials attempt to explain to one another as to how and when to shift gears in their new Mustangs, especially after they lurch down road the first couple of times with their MT82's--a true testament to the abuse that the MT82 can sustain from the outset and still continue to purr.

Back in the "old days", automatic transmissions were a luxury that very few people could afford and I can fully identify with having hit a wide brake pedal from time-to-time, thinking that it was the clutch--entertainment at its best.

Good old days. Thank God they're only memories.

RJ

Sponsored

LDVader

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT

I have a sunglasses holder by my trunk button! Now i have to go look.

Edit

I'll be damned... very nice. New change holder for me.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Would it lower the price of the vehicle if they stopped spending time compiling manuals that nobody reads? :shrug:

Maybe offer 20 emails to the engineering team for a modest fee if anyone wants to know about their car.

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
Would it lower the price of the vehicle if they stopped spending time compiling manuals that nobody reads? :shrug:

Maybe offer 20 emails to the engineering team for a modest fee if anyone wants to know about their car.
Manuals are a must, for liability reasons I'd imagine.

I've read the manual on every new car I've had. Its sort of a new car ritual for me. I just want to know as much as I can about my vehicle I guess :shrug:

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Not sure if its in all S550s or part of some package but if your Mustang has the trunk release in the bumper, you could unplug the switch in the cabin.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
These days, I'm more likely to read owner's manuals specifically because there's so much more in cars these days. I'll at least skim through owner manuals for cars I don't end up buying as part of buyer's new car research.

As a retired engineer trust me, Engineering is NOT going to want to become a call center for every little question. Never mind that engineering management would never stand for it coming out of their budget. Plan on your conversation taking place with somebody for whom English is a second language, just like it is for most everything else.

Norm

Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
These days, I'm more likely to read owner's manuals specifically because there's so much more in cars these days. I'll at least skim through owner manuals for cars I don't end up buying as part of buyer's new car research.

As a retired engineer trust me, Engineering is NOT going to want to become a call center for every little question. Never mind that engineering management would never stand for it coming out of their budget. Plan on your conversation taking place with somebody for whom English is a second language, just like it is for most everything else.

Norm
I did specifically say "emails" for a reason. ;)

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I did see that. Don't think an engineer with a deadline looming or his boss(es) would make the same distinction.

Norm

OP
OP

Rob00GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Ragtop
It's so much thicker than a normal key fob and sharing space in my jeans with a pocket knife means it usually sets the car to honking just as I'm climbing in.
Happened again last weekend leaving a gun store. Embarrassing.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
There's a trunk button on the dash? :D

Learn something new every day....

urkmywrld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang EcoBoost 2.3L
In my previous car the Ignition Button was just beside of the steering on the right, when I got my Mustang my finger would automatically go to the same place only to realise the Ignition is not there. Sunglasses holder is not there anymore at the usual place but on the left of the steering and Yes, I forget to close the sunglass holder.

All the above are just a pass when it comes to driving experience, because coming from a 195 HP CVT to 300 HP and 310 Torque its a total different machine, its a DD for me.
Sponsored