Sponsored

Do Most GT350 Owners Keep their Engine, Drivetrain & Suspension Stock?

YOLO

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06, Lexus GS350
  • Banned
Aside from changing tires and small things like the hood prop are most owners keeping their 350s stock?

Car already has 526HP so I see no help in adding HP.

6 speed gets great reviews.

Suspension seems dialed in, especially on the new 2019.

I'm ordering a 2019, don't see myself adding much in the ways of Mods.

We know this a Track car and not some quarter-mile dragstrip ride so I don't see any need to do Mods.

I plan to replace that cheap hood prop immediately.

What are Popular Mods that owners are adding?

P.S. My 350 will be driven 85% street, 15% track.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2019 Upgrades:

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/06/11/2019-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350-upgrades/

The Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 is already one of the best track-ready sportscars for sale in America, and for 2019, it gets even better. FordPerformance focused all of its efforts on the standard GT350 — the GT350R carries over unchanged.

The 2019 model gets updated aero, suspension and a bespoke set of Michelin summer tires.

The new rear wing has an optional Gurney flap, helping downforce without adding too much drag.

The other aero update is out front. The standard model now gets the grille from the GT350R. It has fewer openings, creating less front-end drag. The wing, grille and new wheels are the only visual tells that separate the current car from the 2019 model. Ford says that customers were happy with the current model's appearance.

In order to improve corner grip and braking, Ford commissioned a custom set of Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires that have a model-specific tread pattern and compound. They're 295/35-19 section up front and 305/35-19 section in the rear, the same as the current car.

The springs and shocks have been revised — 10 percent softer in the rear and 10 percent firmer in the front.

The tuning for the Magneride system, ABS and electronic power steering system have also been revised.

Ford also gave the GT350 some attention on the comfort front. Power adjustable seats with faux suede inserts are available, along with faux suede inserts on the doors. An optional 12-speaker B&O Play sound system is also available.

But even without springing for the added niceties, all GT350s now come standard with the 8-inch SYNC 3 touchscreen infotainment and dual-zone climate control.

Also of note are two newly available colors, Velocity Blue and Ford Performance Blue. Unfortunately, Ford's trick digital instrument cluster will not be available.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ixse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
Camber plate, oil seperater (passenger side), alignment, caliperfexcion studs, resonator delete, R springs n sway bar (for non-R), better tires (for non-R), lighter track wheels, rear seat delete, lithium battery, carbon drive shaft.

OP
OP
YOLO

YOLO

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06, Lexus GS350
  • Banned
Camber plate, oil separator (passenger side), alignment, caliperfexcion studs, resonator delete, R springs n sway bar (for non-R), better tires (for non-R), lighter track wheels, rear seat delete, lithium battery, carbon drive shaft.

Thx :rockon:

I think for 2019 the Non-R has the same tires as the R.

How much does a "Carbon Driveshaft" cost?

I may get the "R" anyways.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
The stock package is very capable for sure. Great car out of the box that can be tracked consistently with virtually no changes - great package for those looking to get track time without the fuss.

BUT - there's still a tons of room for improvement - better aero, brakes, tires, wheels, handling/suspension, weight reduction, motor etc. And not all of this is strictly bolt-ons. The OEM MR tuning could use refinement to further stiffen things up if you're pushing hard (it can also overheat) with a DSC controller, the powerband can be tuned to remove the little notch around 3,500 RPM with an aftermarket tune, a PedalMax can be installed to remove throttle lag, etc.

All depends on your priorities, available funding, and tendency to not leave "good enough" alone :D

Edit: Forgot about safety. With the speeds and lateral g's this car is capable of, you REALLY should have a fixed back seat (halo variant recommended), 6-pt harness, a HANS device and a roll bar.

OP
OP
YOLO

YOLO

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06, Lexus GS350
  • Banned
The stock package is very capable for sure. Great car out of the box that can be tracked consistently with virtually no changes - great package for those looking to get track time without the fuss.

BUT - there's still a tons of room for improvement - better aero, brakes, tires, wheels, handling/suspension, weight reduction, motor etc. And not all of this is strictly bolt-ons. The OEM MR tuning could use refinement to further stiffen things up if you're pushing hard (it can also overheat) with a DSC controller, the powerband can be tuned to remove the little notch around 3,500 RPM with an aftermarket tune, a PedalMax can be installed to remove throttle lag, etc.

All depends on your priorities, available funding, and tendency to not leave "good enough" alone :D

Edit: Forgot about safety. With the speeds and lateral g's this car is capable of, you REALLY should have a fixed back seat (halo variant recommended), 6-pt harness, a HANS device and a roll bar.

For the first 5 years, I don't want to void the Warranty.

Will stick to simple changes for now.

When my 25-year-old son inherits the car he can do whatever he wants with it. :shock:

Sponsored

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
Aside from a passenger side catch can, bone stock. It's a street car and I don't race or track it.

Wine dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT 350
Clearly the obvious mods until the 2019 is driven by folks who really know what and how to mod it, should be the shifter, clutch spring, and the oil catch cans, jack rails, pedal max or commander, then as the differences between the 2016-18 and the 19 are realized then more mods will follow.
The Steeda suspension upgrades made a huge difference but some of these may already have been made for the 19 model year.
Like wise the DSC controller made a substantial difference but with changes for 2019 the files I suspect will need to be different or redefined.
There are so many mods that make sense for daily driving and for the track for 2016-18, what will the 19 need?
Only time will tell

OP
OP
YOLO

YOLO

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06, Lexus GS350
  • Banned
Clearly the obvious mods until the 2019 is driven by folks who really know what and how to mod it, should be the shifter, clutch spring, and the oil catch cans, jack rails, pedal max or commander, then as the differences between the 2016-18 and the 19 are realized then more mods will follow.
The Steeda suspension upgrades made a huge difference but some of these may already have been made for the 19 model year.
Like wise the DSC controller made a substantial difference but with changes for 2019 the files I suspect will need to be different or redefined.
There are so many mods that make sense for daily driving and for the track for 2016-18, what will the 19 need?
Only time will tell
https://highpowercars.com/5-2l-v8-526hp-shelby-gt350-coming-in-2019/

Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 model year 2019 features less aerodynamic changes, new front grill, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tire (front- 295 mm and rear- 305 mm), revised springs and shock absorbers, new ABS tuning …

There are also electric adjustable sports seats, optional B & O Play sound system with 12 speakers, a standard 8.0-inch SYNC 3 infotainment, a dual-zone climate, and two new colors (Velocity Blue and Ford Performance Blue).

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Thx :rockon:

I think for 2019 the Non-R has the same tires as the R.

How much does a "Carbon Driveshaft" cost?

I may get the "R" anyways.

The R tires are different sized, and they are also called "Cup 2s", but Ford says the ones for the non R 19 have unique features just for the 19 non R. Not sure what all that means, but they aren't the exact same tires.

I love my 17, and the fact that it uses no oil, but I'm tempted by the better stereo, better aero, cooler looking rear wing and better suspension tuning, to upgrade.

Although then I get "while I'm at it itis" and think maybe 19R is the way to go.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
I love my 17, and the fact that it uses no oil, but I'm tempted by the better stereo, better aero, cooler looking rear wing and better suspension tuning, to upgrade.

Although then I get "while I'm at it itis" and think maybe 19R is the way to go.
I love my GT350 too, even tho it is consuming oil. If I upgraded, I think I'd trade in the GT350 in a few years for a GT500.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
BMR cradle lockout kit level 2 or Steeda IRS braces should be the absolute very first suspension mod. Then a front adjustable sway bar. Camber plates are a good idea too. Ford supplement material even says some added camber is a good idea. You don't have to go crazy though. It's all about very fine tuning.

As for power, personally this car deserves 600 NA horsepower.

OP
OP
YOLO

YOLO

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06, Lexus GS350
I love my GT350 too, even tho it is consuming oil. If I upgraded, I think I'd trade in the GT350 in a few years for a GT500.

I don't get the whole "consuming oil" thing. I used to own an LS1 engine and it consumed 1qt every 1,000 miles. I just made sure to check my oil and add accordingly.

As long as performance or the engine is not affected who cares?

Maybe this is the price we pay for owning Mustangs, Camaros and Corvettes.

High-performance cars for low-cost dollars compared to the competition.

OP
OP
YOLO

YOLO

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06, Lexus GS350
BMR cradle lockout kit level 2 or Steeda IRS braces should be the absolute very first suspension mod. Then a front adjustable sway bar. Camber plates are a good idea too. Ford supplement material even says some added camber is a good idea. You don't have to go crazy though. It's all about very fine tuning.

As for power, personally this car deserves 600 NA horsepower.

People always want more.

I remember back in the 90's when the viper and the Corvette ZR1 came out with 400HP, people couldn't believe it.

My Z06 has 650HP and all the wheels do is spin wildly. Can't get traction off the line to save my life.

Now, 526HP is weak, lol. :crazy:

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I really want a GT850 in my garage, lol.

Really a GT350R for some cruising but mainly HPDE stuff, then when I need to have 4 seats, or drag race, use the GT500.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
I don't get the whole "consuming oil" thing. I used to own an LS1 engine and it consumed 1qt every 1,000 miles. I just made sure to check my oil and add accordingly.

As long as performance or the engine is not affected who cares?

Maybe this is the price we pay for owning Mustangs, Camaros and Corvettes.

High-performance cars for low-cost dollars compared to the competition.
Ford states it is "normal" for this motor to consume up to 1 qt/500 miles. I don't care if my motor consumes 1 qt per 1000 or even 500 miles, but if it gets worse than that, I want a new motor. And that has been their policy.
Sponsored