Do I need camber plates for a 1” drop?

Metz302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT.
Hey y’all looking at suspension for my 2017 GT to get off these fortune auto coilovers. My car is lowered like an inch and a half now but it has camber plates.

im looking at the steeda pro action shocks/struts with their sport progressive lowering spring. Do I need to buy their $400 camber plates? Can I just do bolts? I’ve never had my camber plates adjusted on my coilovers and I’m lower than that. I have no abnormal tire wear at all. Looking for help. Thank you
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
You only need camber plates if you’re unhappy with the camber you get from lowering, which honestly wont be that bad. If you dont like the resulting camber, you could add bolts to get a bit less after the fact.

Some of us like extra camber, helps the front wheels grip in corners, and the wear is fine if you maintain your toe alignment once and a while.

OP
OP

Metz302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT.
You only need camber plates if you’re unhappy with the camber you get from lowering, which honestly wont be that bad. If you dont like the resulting camber, you could add bolts to get a bit less after the fact.

Some of us like extra camber, helps the front wheels grip in corners, and the wear is fine if you maintain your toe alignment once and a while.
My camber is negative now and I don’t have any wear issues after 9 months. I’m lowered more than what this setup is but I’ve never had the camber plates touched. No alignment places touches it

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
My camber is negative now and I don’t have any wear issues after 9 months. I’m lowered more than what this setup is but I’ve never had the camber plates touched. No alignment places touches it
I would hope its negative! (question is, how much negative camber). Positive or zero camber would handle terribly.

A good alignment place would absolutely adjust the camber with a plate.. Anyway, you probably don't need it if you're fine with your current setup.

OP
OP

Metz302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT.
I would hope its negative! (question is, how much negative camber). Positive or zero camber would handle terribly.

A good alignment place would absolutely adjust the camber with a plate.. Anyway, you probably don't need it if you're fine with your current setup.
I don’t know how much negative camber but I don’t have any abnormal tire wear at all. My car handled really well before the strut bearing went bad. That’s why I’m replacing the suspension

IMG_3677.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP

Metz302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT.

So is it worth it to spend the $400 extra? I live on my own so the $400 is a bit crazy on top of the $1000 for me

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
So is it worth it to spend the $400 extra? I live on my own so the $400 is a bit crazy on top of the $1000 for me
Skip it and save the money for sure.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
If you already have camber plates why on earth would you want to buy more?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Oh I see coil overs. Why not just raise the ride height? If they are too stiff get a spring with less rate. Yours are rebuildable if worn out.

OP
OP

Metz302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT.
Oh I see coil overs. Why not just raise the ride height? If they are too stiff get a spring with less rate. Yours are rebuildable if worn out.
While I agree with you,

1. they’re coilovers, I want to try something different. My mustang is a daily and I don’t need the coilovers for what I use it for. I don’t have a month for them to be rebuilt, I need my car to drive to work.

2. Again I want to try something new. If I’m spending $1000 to get them rebuilt, I’m just gonna spend the $1000 to get all new suspension and not have to worry about it. I want a better ride. The coilovers are rough man.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
To answer your question, no you don't need camber plates with a 1 inch drop.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
While I agree with you,

1. they’re coilovers, I want to try something different. My mustang is a daily and I don’t need the coilovers for what I use it for. I don’t have a month for them to be rebuilt, I need my car to drive to work.

2. Again I want to try something new. If I’m spending $1000 to get them rebuilt, I’m just gonna spend the $1000 to get all new suspension and not have to worry about it. I want a better ride. The coilovers are rough man.
Any reason why you don't get it back on OEM suspension :?

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
Bolts are fine. Save your money.

GR8 V8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
‘15 GT Ruby Red
I’m lowered on Steeda linear springs. Just over a 1” drop in front. No plates or bolts and I’m at -1.7 degrees with stock strut mounts.

OP
OP

Metz302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT.
Any reason why you don't get it back on OEM suspension :?
I don’t want a monster truck. lol.
I enjoy the lowered look and have wheels that make the car a million times better with it being lowered.
Sponsored