Sponsored

Do I actually need colder spark plugs?

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I keep seeing recommendations for the NGK Ruthenium 95605 (-1 Step Colder) spark plugs. How about the FORD PERFORMANCE COLD SPARK PLUG SET?

Currently have MBRP catback race exhaust, Turbosmart kompact dual port bov, Ford performance oil-air separator, CVF street intercooler, and will be getting the Ford performance tune and Roush CAI.

Just looking for what's best for reliability/longevity
Sponsored

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
I keep seeing recommendations for the NGK Ruthenium 95605 (-1 Step Colder) spark plugs. How about the FORD PERFORMANCE COLD SPARK PLUG SET?

Currently have MBRP catback race exhaust, Turbosmart kompact dual port bov, Ford performance oil-air separator, CVF street intercooler, and will be getting the Ford performance tune and Roush CAI.

Just looking for what's best for reliability/longevity
I'm going to say... NO
When burning 93 octane pump gas, I still use the original factory spark plugs, cleaned and gapped to .028

PS: My Ecoboost Ford Fusion, with 85K miles, is still running the original spark plugs.

OP
OP
stannypack

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I'm going to say... NO
When burning 93 octane pump gas, I still use the original factory spark plugs, cleaned and gapped to .028
So I could just take out the oem plugs and gap them myself?

PS: My Ecoboost Ford Fusion, with 85K miles, is still running the original spark plugs.
that's why I'm confused since I see people saying to change spark plugs like every 10k lol

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
So I could just take out the oem plugs and gap them myself?

that's why I'm confused since I see people saying to change spark plugs like every 10k lol
I don't understand it either... Now if you want to pull/inspect/clean/gap your plugs every 10K miles? Nothing wrong with that, and if you have a bad plug, change it. But to waste $40 on pre-gapped plugs every 10K... That just sounds wasteful!

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
On a tuned ecoboost motor you will benefit from colder spark plugs. The gap is not the issue, its spark knock from overheating the plug. Increasing boost warrants colder plugs. One step colder is all that's needed, you will loose power and increase the chance of spark knock on stock plugs.

They are right on top and for $40 its very cheap insurance.

I have personal experience with this, run the ruthenium plugs they will last >30k miles, they also improve idle behavior. Iridium plugs only last 10-20k miles, and I do not recommend them.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jdsfly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost, A10
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn't anybody read spark plugs anymore? You could just blindly follow the herd and put in colder plugs, or you could get online and study how to read plugs and save some money. Cobb doesn't recommend colder plugs for their OTS tunes, and Ford Performance doesn't recommend them for their tune either. You probably won't need a colder plug, on a 91 or 93 tune, unless you road race the car or run the living snot out of it. What colder plugs will definitely get you is greatly reduced plug life.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Read the plug. Surefire way to tell if you need colder ones.

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
On a tuned ecoboost motor you need colder spark plugs. The gap is not the issue, its spark knock from overheating the plug.

One step colder is all that's needed, you will loose power and increase the chance of ring land failure if you run a tune (especially the FP tune) on stock plugs. The FP tune is designed for the colder plugs, running stock heat range is inviting trouble that can be easily avoided for $40.
I am having the FP tune installed in a week or so. I haven't read anything about getting colder plugs for it. Where did you see this?

What is the worst that will happen if I run stock plugs for now?

OP
OP
stannypack

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I am having the FP tune installed in a week or so. I haven't read anything about getting colder plugs for it. Where did you see this?

I drove almost 2 hrs round trip to get it installed yesterday, they load the stock file onto the device and try to register the voucher code and we get code already used

Just contacted ford performance to get me a new code, how do they sell a used code in a brand new sealed box unless maybe an employee got a pic of it and sold it himself :curse:

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT

Short version: don't sweat it it wont explode, but you will benefit from doing them when you get the chance.

Ford specifically does not say you need them, but I (and the ecoboost community as a whole) feel that it is a good idea. When you increase boost in an engine, factory turbo or factory NA, going colder on your plugs will protect you from spark knock. That is when the increased cylinder pressure and temperature associated with higher than factory boost cause the metal surfaces of the plug to become so hot that they self-ignite the charge before the plug is fired. Going to a colder plug pushes this issue off.

My original comment was more about correcting the idea that the only reason people do colder plugs is to get a smaller gap, and that as a result stock plugs could be regapped to save $40 to get the same result. The colder plugs do work, they will improve performance and safety, its different.

I was probably too authoritarian in my initial response lol, I'll edit it for clarity.

Sponsored

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
I drove almost 2 hrs round trip to get it installed yesterday, they load the stock file onto the device and try to register the voucher code and we get code already used

Just contacted ford performance to get me a new code, how do they sell a used code in a brand new sealed box unless maybe an employee got a pic of it and sold it himself :curse:
That is very strange!

Question, did you not create and account with FP and register the code ahead of time? I have heard stories like yours in the past... seems to be somewhat common.

OP
OP
stannypack

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
That is very strange!

Question, did you not create and account with FP and register the code ahead of time? I have heard stories like yours in the past... seems to be somewhat common.
I created the account with ford performance, which the guy used to login with and then use the voucher code on the shop laptop to download the tune, since I don't have a windows computer. I just got a new code from ford performance and will be going back today

OP
OP
stannypack

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Finally got the tune loaded successfully. Significant torque increase, and some might say it's placebo but my MBRP race catback exhaust sounds louder with a lot more crackles and pops in 2nd gear :like: I read it'll take 100-200 miles for the car to adjust, but the shop techs said that's more a myth and you should be able to notice an instant change (which my butt dyno can confirm)

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
10k is about what I get on Iridium plugs. I didn't have much luck with the Ruthenium version. At high rpm under boost, you'll start to get misfires. That's when I change to new plugs gapped to 0.028".

So I change plugs about every 6 months. BFD. It's $40 and 15 minutes if I drink a beer in the middle of the job. If you're trying to get 100,000 miles out of every plug, then you have to appreciate you're giving *something* up. That something is the integrity of your ignition system. It seems like a silly place to try to save money, if you ask me.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M

BTW, the *worst* that will happen is a high rpm/boost misfire. The normal loss is if the conditions/fuel mean the car is flirting with spark knock, it will pull the ignition back a little more with a hot plug than a cooler one. The upside is you'll never foul them if it's really cold outside.

The stock HPP mapping is so bad that they have to run a hot plug to avoid fouling in normal weather. They just pour fuel through the thing at WOT.
Sponsored