Do Carts and Mowers Count?

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Lawn & Garden6G, love it! I’m up north in the Chicago area, here’s our grass in late April of last year (it’s brown and gross now because of the cold). Spring it gets very lush and full, summer heat thins it out a bit but it bounces back nicely in the fall. I use a Toro with the Briggs engine, starts first pull every time and I clean it thoroughly after every mow. We keep it around medium height, mostly so it doesn’t burn up in the summer when it doesn’t rain very often.

D1C38CA2-B678-4E13-A8EA-CFF403EB7D5F.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
kilobravo

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Lawn & Garden6G
TOO DAMN FUNNY, Mark and very witty!

Yep, your turf looks just like what I grew up with in Akron. Easy peazy mowing. I even started with an old reel mower but thankfully, the yard was small. If someone brought one of those to Florida or Texas, it would be laughed out of town. Hell, I didn't think they even made them any longer but a quick check with Mr. G showed dozens of retailers selling them. :-) That said, those reels cut the best by far.

I hope you get to hold off mowing as long as possible, amigo. <smile>

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

Yep, your turf looks just like what I grew up with in Akron. Easy peazy mowing. I even started with an old reel mower but thankfully, the yard was small. If someone brought one of those to Florida or Texas, it would be laughed out of town. Hell, I didn't think they even made them any longer but a quick check with Mr. G showed dozens of retailers selling them. :-) That said, those reels cut the best by far.

I hope you get to hold off mowing as long as possible, amigo. <smile>
For sure KB, nothing cuts like a sharp reel mower! There’s a guy in my neighborhood that uses one but his lawn is half the size of mine. Would take me forever with a reel mower. I actually enjoy cutting grass, it’s like a therapy session for me (much like driving my Mustang). We’ve had a pretty decent winter all things considered but I’m so ready for spring! Have a great day KB!

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback

Yep, your turf looks just like what I grew up with in Akron. Easy peazy mowing. I even started with an old reel mower but thankfully, the yard was small.
For sure KB, nothing cuts like a sharp reel mower! There’s a guy in my neighborhood that uses one but his lawn is half the size of mine. Would take me forever with a reel mower. I actually enjoy cutting grass, it’s like a therapy session for me (much like driving my Mustang). We’ve had a pretty decent winter all things considered but I’m so ready for spring! Have a great day KB!
Are you guys talking about a gas powered reel mower like this..................

mos101.jpg

Or the push type.........................

victarazor101.jpg

From memory, the blades on both of these mowers are self-sharpening, the rotation of the blades sharpen on themselves.

I want to add that Victa Razor push reel mower to my collection at some point.

Sponsored

OP
OP
kilobravo

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Or the push type
D: I would have loved to have that big honkin gas-powered model when I was a kid. Our reel was mighty damn hard to push. :-) No, the Victa type and I am honestly surprised you don't have one. <smiling>

My dad (82) still uses that type of mower ...
After seeing how tight your turf is, WD, I can see why your Dad still uses one. :-)

OP
OP
kilobravo

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
For sure KB, nothing cuts like a sharp reel mower!
No doubt about that Mark, those blades are way sharper than the blades on my mower and I feel ya on the therapeutic benefit of lawn mowing. But, when it gets to be 95+ with 80% humidity, it can wear on ya week after week especially when the chore takes hours. Of course, I irrigate the snot out of the lawn so I shouldn't complain. :-)

You have a wonderful day yourself, amigo.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Are you guys talking about a gas powered reel mower like this..................

mos101.jpg

Or the push type.........................

victarazor101.jpg

From memory, the blades on both of these mowers are self-sharpening, the rotation of the blades sharpen on themselves.

I want to add that Victa Razor push reel mower to my collection at some point.
The push reel mower is what we were talking about. When those blades are nice and sharp nothing cuts better IMO.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
D: I would have loved to have that big honkin gas-powered model when I was a kid. Our reel was mighty damn hard to push. :-) No, the Victa type and I am honestly surprised you don't have one. <smiling>

After seeing how tight your turf is, WD, I can see why your Dad still uses one. :-)
The push reel mower is what we were talking about. When those blades are nice and sharp nothing cuts better IMO.
Why do I now have the urge to go and buy one! :facepalm:

Not cheap though, they retail for $159 AUD.

OP
OP
kilobravo

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
For close-cropped lawns and regular mowing, it might be a thing D as long as the lawn isn't more than a couple hundred square feet. :-)

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
They do give a very good finish on fine grass like we have over here.

Lots of old / retired guys who have bowling green / putting green style lawns seem to use them - and they are most likely the first and only mower they have ever bought :sunglasses:

It's one of the things that I remember the Gypsies / traveling communities calling and offering to re sharpen when I was a kid.

WD :like:

OP
OP
kilobravo

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, those old, retired guys.. <chuckling> but I can clearly see them with the reels, WD. I wouldn't mind actually but that turf would never survive down here.

Gypsies and traveling communities..if we have such things in the US, I've never seen them. 'Course, you're closer to Transylvania than I, amigo. <BIG grin>

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
They do give a very good finish on fine grass like we have over here.

Lots of old / retired guys who have bowling green / putting green style lawns seem to use them - and they are most likely the first and only mower they have ever bought :sunglasses:

It's one of the things that I remember the Gypsies / traveling communities calling and offering to re sharpen when I was a kid.

WD :like:

That's the con the reel blade needs a lot of attention, my father had a Briggs & Stratton reel.

The key to the reel is the cutting bar the blade passes by. As I am sure you know, current mowers shred the grass tips. It can be controlled with a file, dressing the blade tips.

IMG_0680.jpeg

IMG_0682.jpeg

IMG_0681.jpeg

A flap disk creates the edge, and maintain it with a file.
IMG_0684.jpeg

Last edited: