2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, BMW 545i, Mercedes E550, Mercedes E320, Kia Sorento V6
2019 Mustang GT bought May 2019.
I need your guidance on topic of changing my own oil.

My car has 2500 miles but my oil life indicator says 30%life left. This is my first new car ever and I don't want to give Ford a chance if it ever occurs that I didn't use Ford recommended brand and viscosity.

1. Are these cars programmed to have oil life for only 3k oil changes?
2. It does not say in the manual that if I change my own oil I can void warranty but how do I prove to the dealer in future if there is an issue that I changed the oil on time and using Ford recommended specs.
3. I prefer to use Mobil 1 synthetic vs. Synthetic blend that for recommence.I've never used motorcraft oil before. I'm worried if something happens later on and Ford can say I didn't use recommended motorcraft oil and viscosity of 5w 20.
4. I've never used 5w 20 in any of my cars before but I'm assuming because of the way coyote engine is designed the lower viscosity oil can pass through various metal Parts easily.
Sponsored

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
As long as you keep your receipts and do the work properly you will be fine. Enjoy your ride.

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
As long as you keep your receipts and do the work properly you will be fine. Enjoy your ride.
I'm not a lawyer, and this isn't legal advice, but I make a note on the receipt; "Oil and filter change; date; miles", and keep the receipt in the maintenance log. I expect this will satisfy any warranty requirements.

As long as the oil you use meets the specifications per the owners manual you should be fine. Mobile 1 5w-20 and 5w-30 met the specifications last time I looked, but you should confirm for yourself.

ALLSTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda Accord LX 5MT, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2
damn dude 2500 miles and 30% oil life?

you must drive it hard.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma

My car has 2500 miles but my oil life indicator says 30%life left.
The oil change interval is 10,000 miles OR 1 year, whichever comes first. You're at 30% because it's 9 months since you bought the car.

A bigger issue is that you're only driving a few hundred miles a month. If you're doing that in one or two big rides, great. If not, you're likely short tripping the engine. The oil will never really get hot enough to boil all the condensates out.

Take it out and get it hot regularly. The ponies need to run!

Sponsored

OP
OP
2019fordmustang

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
damn dude 2500 miles and 30% oil life?

you must drive it hard.
LOL brother. I'm barely driving the car because I use my other car for daily driving. It's been 9 months i have owned the car so drive it few hundred miles a month.

OP
OP
2019fordmustang

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
The oil change interval is 10,000 miles OR 1 year, whichever comes first. You're at 30% because it's 9 months since you bought the car.

A bigger issue is that you're only driving a few hundred miles a month. If you're doing that in one or two big rides, great. If not, you're likely short tripping the engine. The oil will never really get hot enough to boil all the condensates out.

Take it out and get it hot regularly. The ponies need to run!
That is good to know th interval is 10kand or I year. I thought they programmed for the synthetic blend and therefore want you to change it 3k miles.

I want to drive the car more but being this my first new car I always feel I'm gonna abuse it but I need to get over it. Also after having two kids recently and both of them less than 2 years old i can't even sneak out of the house. I guess I need to start taking this car out and more.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
The US Ford site has an owner section that shows all maintenance done by Ford AND all other maintenance you enter. They only require you to enter a date, description and amount spent but I always also list the specific filter. fluids, etc I used.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
LOL brother. I'm barely driving the car because I use my other car for daily driving. It's been 9 months i have owned the car so drive it few hundred miles a month.
oil life monitor is based on your driving conditions and time since last reset. So it’ll decrease on its own just sitting, and if you drive it hard when you do then it’ll decrease a bit faster. But if you’ve owned it 9 months and haven’t done an oil change then 30% sounds right.

torqued

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
If not, you're likely short tripping the engine. The oil will never really get hot enough to boil all the condensates out.
Hot enough or hot long enough? Asking cuz I tend to take a lot of short trips. But according to the oil temp rendered gauge I'm up to as high as it's gonna go after 10-15 minutes.

Sponsored

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
Hot enough or hot long enough? Asking cuz I tend to take a lot of short trips. But according to the oil temp rendered gauge I'm up to as high as it's gonna go after 10-15 minutes.
Hot enough and long enough. The oil needs to get hot enough to boil off the water that condenses inside the engine from all the hot cold cycles and humidity in the atmosphere. Once the oil is hot enough, it'll need time to work to get the moisture out.

I run mine to work and back so 30-45 minutes each way. I expect that is more than long enough, although I have no evidence one way or the other. If it is going to be a short trip to the store and back and my car is stone cold, I'll usually take another vehicle.

Although, every trip doesn't necessarily need to be a long one... Just work in a longer trip every so often, sooner is better.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
You need both temperature and time as noted above by Grimmer. You really want at least one half hour or more drive every few weeks (absolutely at least once a month), not just to keep the oil at its best but also to get all the other parts of the drivetrain hot / lubricated / dry.

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
The potential for condensation is the also one of the reasons you're better off with a full tank of gas when you expect the car to be sitting for extended periods.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I'm pretty sure it's not legal for any manufacturer to deny you warranty for doing your own maintenance, or having someone do it for you.
You just need to maintain a record or log of the particulars (receipt, date,milage,products,etc) and you're good.
Also, I believe that even if you void one part of your warranty it doesn't necessarily void all of it.
For instance unapproved engine work should have no effect if, say, the AC fails.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I need your guidance on topic of changing my own oil.

My car has 2500 miles but my oil life indicator says 30%life left. This is my first new car ever and I don't want to give Ford a chance if it ever occurs that I didn't use Ford recommended brand and viscosity.

1. Are these cars programmed to have oil life for only 3k oil changes?
2. It does not say in the manual that if I change my own oil I can void warranty but how do I prove to the dealer in future if there is an issue that I changed the oil on time and using Ford recommended specs.
3. I prefer to use Mobil 1 synthetic vs. Synthetic blend that for recommence.I've never used motorcraft oil before. I'm worried if something happens later on and Ford can say I didn't use recommended motorcraft oil and viscosity of 5w 20.
4. I've never used 5w 20 in any of my cars before but I'm assuming because of the way coyote engine is designed the lower viscosity oil can pass through various metal Parts easily.
1) Number 1 was already answered above. 1 year or 10k miles
2) Number 2 was already answered above. Keep receipts and a log of maintenance
3) No, Ford isn't allowed to tell you what oil you HAVE to use. No monopolies here. Use whatever oil brand you want. Just make sure that oil brand meets the Ford specifications for this vehicle. Under warranty, it is best to run the same viscosity grade as well.
4) This engine does run tighter tolerances than engines decades ago, but that isn't the only reason Ford decided to run 5w-20 in the Mustang. CAFE is another reason. With 5w-20 being a thinner oil, it has less friction and therefore picks up an extra tenth or two tenths of a mile per gallon. This doesn't sound like a lot but when you take into account how many Mustangs Ford sells, it adds up.

Extra comments: It's encouraged to do as much of your own maintenance as possible to make sure it's done right. After hearing of all the horror stories of the techs at these dealerships forgetting to do something or using the wrong oil capacity, you'll know it is done right by doing it yourself.
Sponsored