Distilled beverage recommendations

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I'm an occasional drinker but I don't buy the cheapest stuff out there. I try to keep the price down but get better than the college kid rot gut garbage. For example, when I buy tequila, I don't get cuervo, I reach for 1800 silver. For bourbon, I buy Makers Mark, for rum, I have both captain Morgan and Bacardi.

Anyway I've been thinking about getting some gin, and some single malt scotch. No cheap garbage but not expensive either, but of decent quality and taste. I don't drink enough to have a sophisticated palate to tell the difference between good and excellent so I don't want to pay more than I need to. So what do you more experienced drinkers recommend for a gin and a single malt?
Sponsored

JohnnyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'20 Mustang GT, '17 Expedition, '04 LS430
Scotch is a wild world. You'll need to find a type you like then go down that fun road of exploration.

The same can be said with gin. But I have a recommendation for that it. Pick up a bottle of Broker's. It's affordable and delicious; mixed or alone.

OP
OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I'll check for Broker's at my local liquor store, thanks for the recommendation.

OP
OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Is glenlivet 12 on the lower end of the price scale? I don't want to spend a lot on something I may not like. I can always get better and more expensive if I like it.

I have an almost full bottle of crown royal that has been sitting in my liquor cabinet for over 20 years because it was recommended by a friend. I tried it and thought it was garbage, so it's been sitting there ever since. I save it for the guest who I barely know or who can't tell the difference.

Sponsored

BiancoV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1969 Torino GT
Is glenlivet 12 on the lower end of the price scale? I don't want to spend a lot on something I may not like. I can always get better and more expensive if I like it.

I have an almost full bottle of crown royal that has been sitting in my liquor cabinet for over 20 years because it was recommended by a friend. I tried it and thought it was garbage, so it's been sitting there ever since. I save it for the guest who I barely know or who can't tell the difference.
It should be in the 50 dollar range...I believe it's the best single malt for the price. I normally go for 18 though.

JohnnyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Price is relative...as is just about everything. Glenlivet 12 is a good Scotch. But in my mind is more in the medium price point. Scotches can get expensive quick. Since you're inexperienced I'd try something more basic like Dewar's.

OP
OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, I'll look for glenlivet 12 and give it a try. I have to pick up another bottle of makers anyway.

JohnnyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
I'd buy a bottle of Four Roses over Makers.

OP
OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Instead of makers, I've been thinking about trying knob creek. What are your thoughts?

Sponsored

BeastAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Knob creek isn't bad.

My go to is Makers 46, pretty good over ice. Makers mint julep is pretty good if you can find it.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I may take crap for this but you might want to give Kirkland a shot. It is far better than decent for the money. That’s my go to on the left.

1606051452360.jpeg

OP
OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Well I found glenlivet 12, it was $47 for a bottle of first fill 12, the regular 12 was $45, so I got the first fill, it was only $2 more. How should I try it, on the rocks or just straight up?

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
I don't drink all day, but when I do I prefer Four Roses Small Batch, but drink Maker's Mark. I also like Tanqueray, but drink Beefeater.
Sponsored