Sponsored

Used Trucks: Recommendations?

Armen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange Vert
With the F150, you can get the 6.5' bed with the full 4 doors. Most seem to come with the 5.5' bed, but the 6.5' is available. With your price range you'll be looking at something from the early years of the last gen... 2009+ or the later years of the previous gen, 2004-2008. The big thing with these ones is the spark plug issues. Some 4.6L's wouldn't keep them in and with some 5.4L's, you couldn't get them out. This issue was corrected half way through 2007. The combo of the 5.4L and 4spd auto was not too great on fuel either, but with your short commute, I doubt that would be a concern.

I've had two Super-Cab configurations... A 2014 and a 2015. The biggest issue I had with these was the rattle of the doors over bumps. Because the doors secure on themselves with no B-Pillar, any flex in the truck tends to generate some sound from them. That's why I went back to 4 door with my 2016.

Rangers are good solid trucks, but not too great on fuel, considering their size. Both the 3.0L and 4.0L were pretty hard on fuel. But the trucks themselves were solid. They built them for years and years and there were nary a bug to work out by the end of production. But they are old school tech... Not a bad thing depending on what your tastes are.

GM's.... I know a guy with his own construction company and they only use GM's as their work trucks. Their mechanic is a friend of mine and he said it was not uncommon to see these things go 400,000kms with only routine maintenance.

I don't have any input on the Dodges except to say the new ones are really great looking vehicles. I have two friends with them and a few people I know at work. They are all seemingly happy with them. One of them has the diesel and he reports amazing fuel economy, for a truck.

Nissan Frontier... I have a local Mustang Club friend who recently purchased one of these. He chose this vehicle because he felt all the domestics were just too big for his needs, including the new Colorado/Canyon. He has reported no issues and seems very happy with his purchase.

OP
OP
derklink

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
With the F150, you can get the 6.5' bed with the full 4 doors. Most seem to come with the 5.5' bed, but the 6.5' is available. With your price range you'll be looking at something from the early years of the last gen... 2009+ or the later years of the previous gen, 2004-2008. The big thing with these ones is the spark plug issues. Some 4.6L's wouldn't keep them in and with some 5.4L's, you couldn't get them out. This issue was corrected half way through 2007. The combo of the 5.4L and 4spd auto was not too great on fuel either, but with your short commute, I doubt that would be a concern.

I've had two Super-Cab configurations... A 2014 and a 2015. The biggest issue I had with these was the rattle of the doors over bumps. Because the doors secure on themselves with no B-Pillar, any flex in the truck tends to generate some sound from them. That's why I went back to 4 door with my 2016.

Rangers are good solid trucks, but not too great on fuel, considering their size. Both the 3.0L and 4.0L were pretty hard on fuel. But the trucks themselves were solid. They built them for years and years and there were nary a bug to work out by the end of production. But they are old school tech... Not a bad thing depending on what your tastes are.

GM's.... I know a guy with his own construction company and they only use GM's as their work trucks. Their mechanic is a friend of mine and he said it was not uncommon to see these things go 400,000kms with only routine maintenance.

I don't have any input on the Dodges except to say the new ones are really great looking vehicles. I have two friends with them and a few people I know at work. They are all seemingly happy with them. One of them has the diesel and he reports amazing fuel economy, for a truck.

Nissan Frontier... I have a local Mustang Club friend who recently purchased one of these. He chose this vehicle because he felt all the domestics were just too big for his needs, including the new Colorado/Canyon. He has reported no issues and seems very happy with his purchase.

Thanks for your input! I got the Ranger with the 4 banger. Not towing anything so I don't care. Supposed to get 19 City and 24 Highway with the automatic and 2WD. I think that is decent. Sure it is old school tech but supposed to be solid and cheap & easy to maintain. Also, parts for the Ranger in general are dirt cheap.
Sponsored