Sponsored

Did someone throw shade at you because you're a twenty-something?

Zcobra1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Ferrari 360, Viper GTS, C6-Z06, 70'Trans Am
I agree with the above, excuses and cop outs. Since this is now a housing and cost
of living thread, I will throw in my 2 cents worth.

My first house was at 32, sacrificed and saved, paid off all loans and moved in with
a bedroom set....that is it. 2 paychecks a month, one whole paycheck went to
my house payment, 10% loan back in 1988 ! And that was good !
House cost $142k.

I sold this house last year for $329k, the new owners payment was $1900 Piti,
mine was $1319....27 years earlier, in salary to house cost, the house referenced
here is at least 50% more affordable today due to low loan rates. So BS on that part.

As far as skilled high tech jobs, that naturally pay 6 figures, many go unfilled due
to lack of qualified, motivated employees. I know more than a few with businesses
who can not fill or keep people due to not only lack of skill but not willing to put in
the time and effort to succeed, they want "accommodations" before they are even
hired !

Lastly, one key reason for lack of attaining the things the prior generation has
is simply lack of delayed gratification. Yes Delayed Gratification, as mentioned above
many today want everything now, no waiting for things. The best right now today
eat out, car washes, iPhones, movies, on and on.

These are things you do without to get a house, like I did and many others.
I stocked up on soup, because I would be broke at the end of the month
when I had just bought a house, no more spur of the moment runs to Vegas
with friends blowing a bundle of cash. Eating at home, no car payment, brown bagging
at work, no expensive toys until comfortable in the house payment.
And within a few years I bought my Harley, was traveling again, new car, etc.

Was talking to 40 year old single guy making $80k a year who said I can not afford
house payment....really why not ? I showed him nice entry level homes
in his area, nice safe area by the way, for $340k, Piti around $2k, nope
too much, but pays $1200 for shit apartment....what does he blow his money
on ? Eat out almost every meal, women, cars, watches, phones, clothes,
you name it, CC bill, on and on......hey if that makes him happy, no problem.
But it is not because you can not afford, it is what you spend it on.

Blaze489

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 SHELBY GT350 Magnetic Track Pack
Paid in full with cash at 26, now I am 27
Civil Engineer
Never smoked anything in my life
Occasional drink and go out.
Still live at home
Ask me anything
Seems like there a lot like me, check out my build thread !!!

Last edited:

FPCV8YO

Rode Hard & Put Away Wet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 350Z GT Roadster
I don't want to read the whole thread...but have the geezers figured out what "throw shade" means yet?
Cliff notes, it ain't only the geezers who didn't know. :lol:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You are correct that we make more, however inflation has increased significantly more than wages have. Look at the graph on this page

https://www.stlouisfed.org/on-the-economy/2015/november/relationship-between-wage-growth-inflation

It clearly shows how stagnant the wage growth has been compared to the inflation growth. So please do not use that argument.
Yet when I graduated I continued driving a car that I paid $2500 for 8 years earlier. About a year later I "splurged" on a several year old Mustang GT. I think I paid $7900 for it. Here we have people buying a $60,000 car for a graduation present to themselves... And then complaining how tough things are now! :cheers:

Sponsored

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
One thing is for sure, nobody had it harder than you, and nobody has it easier than everyone else.

aguilar310

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Boss 302 #1235
Paid in full with cash at 26, now I am 27
Civil Engineer
Never smoked anything in my life
Occasional drink and go out.
Still live at home
Ask me anything
Seems like there a lot like me, check out my build thread !!!
If I had a point to make this would be it. Im not giving anyone one a hard time because that is not my place. But if I didn't have a mortgage I would be driving a 458 Speciale. But good for you, and for your parents to be able and willing to do this. I'm 34 and still working on getting one. I make pretty good money but refuse to pay ADM. But at 26 why would you want to live at home, besides the obvious of free meals and laundry service. Then again, no mortgage means lots of extra cash for hotel rooms.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Those are Canadian dollars I'm assuming? :D Those seem crazy high to be American dollars unless its downtown in a major city.

I just turned 24, bought a house with my fiancee and a month later bought a used 2015 Ecoboost. Granted nowhere near the same level as a GT350, but still proud of what I have worked for nonetheless. My goal over the next few years is to be in a GT350 as my 2nd car before I'm 30. Guess I better get back to work :lol:
Yeah they are Canadian rupees or pesos or whatever you want to call them :D

Cost of living where I am too now is stupidly high, and with our economy here almost fully dependent on the oil industry (stupid, stupid, stupid...), our government is in a massive debt hole and everything has gone out of control the last several years.

*drops the mic*

While I fully agree there are tons of entitled/lazy/useless millennials, all of the above is spot on and means the hardworking/smart/ millennials have to work that much harder for a much smaller piece of the pie.
BOOM! :D No man I agree, there are definitely a lot of entitlement with younger people these days, but it is much harder today than it was years ago.

Yes - houses and cars cost more now. However, you also make more. When I got out of college and got my first engineering job, it paid me $24k per year.

I bet you make a little more.
My parents house cost $86K almost 30 years ago. It is now worth in the range of $525-550K... I know this is by no means indicative of everyone's situation, but in my area for example, a nice home built back then is now worth ~6.5 times what it was.... Working wages haven't increased anywhere near proportionally with the living costs. It is a non-argument; everything costs more today than it did before, but working wages haven't increased as much as they should. <- Fact.

I'll call partial bullshit on this one.

Cost of living has gone up I'll agree on that...but I'll say NOT way harder for a single individual to live on a average salary. It's called living within your means.

You can easily survive, eat well, and have a place to live making 25-30k a year. Hell, I know guys in their 40s who survive just fine and they make jack shit.

What the real reality is younger people want everything now. They graduate college or start working and instantly want to be making 50+k a year with zero experience. They like to spend money they don't have... AKA live on credit.

Things any single person can do to live cheaply:

1) Buy a used car that runs and drives good. Easily sub 10k - And learn how to fix it yourself if it needs repairs.

2) Have a cheap cell phone.... no need for a $800 iphone 7 with $80 per month fees.

3) Being single, get a room mate, unless you're a complete douche.... I'm sure you have someone you can live with. For god sake get out of your parents house! Don't be a slacker!

4) Don't rack up credit cards!! If you don't have the money for something DON'T BUY IT. PERIOD. - You know how many people go into crazy debt..... completely DUMB.

5) How about this concept? = Save your money! Get a 401k going, open a savings account.

And if anyone tells me you can't do the above....I've lived it. Mommy and Daddy didn't pay my way. I left home at 18 and worked full time making $9 bucks an hour and moved up the salary/job ladder from there. I paid for my own education, got my own jobs, and didn't look for any hand outs from anyone.

School of hard knocks teaches you how to survive.... more kids now a days needs to try that out for size. You learn real quick. :D
I don't know about you, but low 20K a year salary is minimum wage... and we have VERY high income tax here... My fiancee is currently working full time while she is finishing her last couple of semesters of her social work degree, and she makes $15.85 an hour. Basically equates to approximately $34K per year. After taxes she clears a little over $22K per year...

What are you going to get out of life on a salary like that? How do you expect to pay a $1000+ mortgage payment per month (very, very conservative estimate lol), save money, invest in RRSP's, put away money for your future kid's education, etc.? Just between the mortgage and basic costs of food, light, heat, other utilities, etc. you are talking about well over half of your available cleared money gone. Now you have to add in expensive car insurance (even if you own a beater, insurance is much more expensive than it once was, especially for the younger crowd), home insurance, property tax, life insurance, gas, etc. Where are you supposed to save or ever get ahead? Those working minimum wage jobs GROSS only a little over $20K per year so they literally can't afford ONLY a mortgage payment with their cleared income.

I absolutely laugh at anyone here trying to say lots of people are "getting along just fine and make jack shit". Yeah those people are getting along fine because they are older and were able to make the MAJOR purchases in their lives at MUCH lower costs. As a young adult starting out? You will NEVER be able to own a home and live comfortably or ever have anything of worth working at minimum wage or even a decent bit above.

I agree with the above, excuses and cop outs. Since this is now a housing and cost
of living thread, I will throw in my 2 cents worth.

My first house was at 32, sacrificed and saved, paid off all loans and moved in with
a bedroom set....that is it. 2 paychecks a month, one whole paycheck went to
my house payment, 10% loan back in 1988 ! And that was good !
House cost $142k.

I sold this house last year for $329k, the new owners payment was $1900 Piti,
mine was $1319....27 years earlier, in salary to house cost, the house referenced
here is at least 50% more affordable today due to low loan rates. So BS on that part.

As far as skilled high tech jobs, that naturally pay 6 figures, many go unfilled due
to lack of qualified, motivated employees. I know more than a few with businesses
who can not fill or keep people due to not only lack of skill but not willing to put in
the time and effort to succeed, they want "accommodations" before they are even
hired !

Lastly, one key reason for lack of attaining the things the prior generation has
is simply lack of delayed gratification. Yes Delayed Gratification, as mentioned above
many today want everything now, no waiting for things. The best right now today
eat out, car washes, iPhones, movies, on and on.

These are things you do without to get a house, like I did and many others.
I stocked up on soup, because I would be broke at the end of the month
when I had just bought a house, no more spur of the moment runs to Vegas
with friends blowing a bundle of cash. Eating at home, no car payment, brown bagging
at work, no expensive toys until comfortable in the house payment.
And within a few years I bought my Harley, was traveling again, new car, etc.

Was talking to 40 year old single guy making $80k a year who said I can not afford
house payment....really why not ? I showed him nice entry level homes
in his area, nice safe area by the way, for $340k, Piti around $2k, nope
too much, but pays $1200 for shit apartment....what does he blow his money
on ? Eat out almost every meal, women, cars, watches, phones, clothes,
you name it, CC bill, on and on......hey if that makes him happy, no problem.
But it is not because you can not afford, it is what you spend it on.
Anyone making 80K a year and not being able to afford a home is simply poor at managing money. And I agree that a lot of people do not want to wait to have the things they want, and unfortunately many of these people who want everything now, simply don't have the income to support such notions and end up living outside their means.

If I had a point to make this would be it. Im not giving anyone one a hard time because that is not my place. But if I didn't have a mortgage I would be driving a 458 Speciale. But good for you, and for your parents to be able and willing to do this. I'm 34 and still working on getting one. I make pretty good money but refuse to pay ADM. But at 26 why would you want to live at home, besides the obvious of free meals and laundry service. Then again, no mortgage means lots of extra cash for hotel rooms.
I'm 25 and still live at home, but if you read back through the thread you'll see why. Rotation job, making great money, building a house myself over the next year and a half, plan to move into it by 2018. I don't "want" to live at home at my age, but even my parents told me I would be stupid to go pay for an apartment or take out a mortgage and buy a home right now when I'm away for work twice as much as I am home. And I would imagine most 20 somethings who are still at home and working full time jobs aren't living there for "free". You know that they say about assuming..

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
I'll call partial bullshit on this one.

Cost of living has gone up I'll agree on that...but I'll say NOT way harder for a single individual to live on a average salary. It's called living within your means.

You can easily survive, eat well, and have a place to live making 25-30k a year. Hell, I know guys in their 40s who survive just fine and they make jack shit.

What the real reality is younger people want everything now. They graduate college or start working and instantly want to be making 50+k a year with zero experience. They like to spend money they don't have... AKA live on credit.

Things any single person can do to live cheaply:

1) Buy a used car that runs and drives good. Easily sub 10k - And learn how to fix it yourself if it needs repairs.

2) Have a cheap cell phone.... no need for a $800 iphone 7 with $80 per month fees.

3) Being single, get a room mate, unless you're a complete douche.... I'm sure you have someone you can live with. For god sake get out of your parents house! Don't be a slacker!

4) Don't rack up credit cards!! If you don't have the money for something DON'T BUY IT. PERIOD. - You know how many people go into crazy debt..... completely DUMB.

5) How about this concept? = Save your money! Get a 401k going, open a savings account.

And if anyone tells me you can't do the above....I've lived it. Mommy and Daddy didn't pay my way. I left home at 18 and worked full time making $9 bucks an hour and moved up the salary/job ladder from there. I paid for my own education, got my own jobs, and didn't look for any hand outs from anyone.

School of hard knocks teaches you how to survive.... more kids now a days needs to try that out for size. You learn real quick. :D
See my post above regarding your "25-30K" jobs. FYI, those people are considered poor in today's economy, at least here in Canada anyway. See above why that salary is simply not enough to "live comfortably" as you like to think.

In regards to your 5 pointers, absolutely agree! But you will still take EONS to ever save for a home even if you do get room mates to help pay the bills. And once you do get a home, making the money you are referring to simply doesn't cut it if you are single; you'll simply never get ahead. Unless your definition of "ahead" is being able to afford a new civic at the age of 50 after saving for over 20 years :D

Sponsored

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
This thread: :barf:
Yes, because a real conversation about life rather than another thread capturing the incessant crying about panel gaps and coolers and Ford customer service is SOOO cringe worthy :lol:

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I don't want to read the whole thread...but have the geezers figured out what "throw shade" means yet?
Well, this ol' geezer likes to "throw light" to others by encouraging them and brightening up their day, so I suppose "throwing shade" would be the opposite. :shrug:

Superdog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Black on Black
Lots of interesting responses here. 42 here and my 350 is mostly just a garage queen. Not that I don't love it, nor am I afraid to drive it. I just love being in the RRS and with a recent back surgery the conditions have not been conducive.

When I was in my 20's I was driving a ridiculously beat up Oldsmobile Bravada. I drove it until a tractor trailer showed me how unhappy he was that I was trying to merge into his lane.

People will always whine and complain at someone else. If they don't have a reason, they will find one. It is part of life. Shade is always thrown by people that simply are not happy with their own damn selves.

I drink, I smoke (not really), I go out to restaurants 6 nights a week. I am going to the Bahamas in two weeks and Turks and Caicos in January.

My wife is way hotter than I deserve, teaches spin and yoga, and is 10 years younger than me.

Damn, I am living the dream.....

And people "throw shade" all the time. It is part of the game.

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
Yes, because a real conversation about life rather than another thread capturing the incessant crying about panel gaps and coolers and Ford customer service is SOOO cringe worthy :lol:
True that.

I'm not complaining to anyone about my state of life. I've made my own home and life with my two hands. I consider myself very fortunate.

My only point is that while yes, I make more than you did, my salary is really only double what you made at my age. Which is great. Except home prices and the cost of living is more like quadruple what it was for you. Nor did college cost the kind of money it does now. Nor was college practically demanded of you to make decent money...

So while yes, life can be made of your own accord, it's much more expensive now for us than it was for you. Facts and hard numbers prove that as made evident by other posts. Whoever said 25-30k a year can let you live on your own "comfortably" never tried it. You'll be living on a shoe string budget and one bad moment will ruin your life. In my city a room for rent is 400-600. Add in insurance, taxes, gas, food, cell phone (its mandatory to have one anymore), clothes, car maintenance, etc. it's not "easy" to live off a bring home of 1500-1900. You know how I know? That's what I used to bring home. That's what my girlfriend brings home every month now. I see her struggle.

Paycheck to paycheck is no way to live comfortably so I don't blame kids my age staying at home. Calling anyone "Self-entitled" for not wanting to struggle, stress, and be miserable is stupid.

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
Before i start i will say that i am 35, an engineer, married one child, i don't own my own house but only because my career has moved me around north america every 2 years for the past 10 years. I am a Sr. Director for a very large global company and if you add them all up i have had over 150 people reporting into me at one time or another in my career, these people were young (straight out of school), older (2 years from retirement) and everywhere in between, female, male, and a bunch of different races. What i have come to realize is that the entitlement that is spoken of in this thread is not age dependent, it is dependent on that individual. Young people who think they should be managers making 100 grand after a year or two and have delivered nothing to make themselves stand out, and the 55 year old who thinks they should be made a manager because they have the most seniority but show up at 8 and leave at 5 every day and won't work an extra minute or demonstrate any leadership skills. The entitlement really comes from how people were raised and the values and work ethic instilled in them. For the baby boomers here pointing at 20 somethings and blaming them i suggest looking at yourselves as these are your children, your nieces and nephews, your grand children. These kids didn't raise themselves to be entitled, they are that way because your generation has instilled that value.

As far as the ongoing debate about what generations life is easier or harder, that is far to subjective, but the statistics brought up about financials are 100% accurate. Many people like to tell stories about how they worked a job and paid there own way through school, lived on their own and never had to rely on mommy and Daddy, unfortunately in today's world this just isn't possible. in 1995 min wage was 4.25, average cost of tuition was around 7K, this would require you to work about 40weeks full time to pay off school. Today the minimum wage is 7-9$, but the average cost of tuition is 22K, this means it would take you 69 weeks working full time to pay for school. Point is the math just doesn't work.... and this only looking at 20years ago, forget going back to the 70's when the boomers were in school the numbers show an even starker contrast.

Last point i will make, as parents are goal is always to give our kids a better life than what we had. Its a bit ironic that we all want our kids to have this, but when they have it and they own nicer cars than we did at that age, the first thing we want to say is that they are spoiled and entitled and don't deserve it.
Sponsored