Sponsored

Did I Get Ripped Off On Install? ALIGNMENT UPDATE

Pauliejr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Pretty straight forward. I don’t have a lift nor have I had the time to install my CJ PP lowering springs

I brought it to my mechanic next to my job

They charged me $830 dollars to install front and rear springs. They said the job specs out to 7.5 hours in the computer.

I checked on progress and they did it in what they said was 5 hours but charged for “2 men” for a portion. FYI labor rate was $115 an hour.

They said they had a tough time and was a lot of work. Had to take everything apart for the rear suspension and the front were like doing struts.

Am I crazy or are people reporting driveway installs in 4 hours. CJ PP video said 2 hours.

I need opinions and I need any thought on how to handle this.

Btw the car looks amazing but drives like crap now. However I didn’t go for an alignment yet I hope that fixes the issues I’m having. Car doesn’t feel right.

Ppl say no alignment needed however Who knows how much they took apart and put back together to throw off the alignment.
Sponsored

Last edited:

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Well. For the rear springs you can certainly remove the entire rear cradle to replace the springs. Its not required, but if you dont know of easier ways then I could see someone doing it that way and it being a TOTAL pain in the butt. The fronts shouldnt take more than an hour or so for a competent mechanic with proper tools. Tire removed, two bolts on bottom, three on top, compress spring, pop the top plate nut off, but it back together. If you got that quote before the labor then thats all there is to it. Its a bit to expensive, but if they were up front with you then...

As far as the drive. Lowering springs usually do result in worse ride quality if they are replaced without complementing struts IMO.

s550_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
$830 ouch... I paid 150 for mine a local mechanic came out perfect but thats in Cali...
and Yes, you would want to do an alignment after any suspension work as geometry will be changed.

Sponsored

16EcomustangDIB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Camaro SS1LE
Pretty straight forward. I don’t have a lift nor have I had the time to install my CJ PP lowering springs

I brought it to my mechanic next to my job

They charged me $830 dollars to install front and rear springs. They said the job specs out to 7.5 hours in the computer.

I checked on progress and they did it in what they said was 5 hours but charged for “2 men” for a portion. FYI labor rate was $115 an hour.

They said they had a tough time and was a lot of work. Had to take everything apart for the rear suspension and the front were like doing struts.

Am I crazy or are people reporting driveway installs in 4 hours. CJ PP video said 2 hours.

I need opinions and I need any thought on how to handle this.

Btw the car looks amazing but drives like crap now. However I didn’t go for an alignment yet I hope that fixes the issues I’m having. Car doesn’t feel right.

Ppl say no alignment needed however Who knows how much they took apart and put back together to throw off the alignment.

Sorry to say this but yes! What do you mean by you need opinion on how to handle this? I'm pretty sure you asked for a quote first then agreed to it before you had them work on your car right? If so, unfortunately there is nothing you can do but pay them. Next, time shop around first.

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
mech friend did mine in his driveway in less than 2 hours. Hardest part was putting the struts/springs together in the front. The back didn't take long at all.

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
For any Mustang work, besides my local Ford dealer, I'd take it to the Mustang shop near me (Acworth, GA).

I think for specific things like this, an 'expect' with Mustangs is the better option. Of course, this is merely my opinion.

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
They've bent you over and not even used lube.

Ouch.

Live and learn.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Pauliejr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I actually get the vehicle worked on by mustang magic always. I do this out of convenience as they do all my jobs work. I live in Syosset Long Island. Premium rates. They do quality clean work though. Very careful with the vehicle and very clean. I guess I’ll eat the cost I think it should have been around $450-$500 but if it was done right then I’m fine with it.

Absolutely love the new stance of the vehicle

As regards to the handling. I forgot to mention that I have a GT PP

As far as I have read the EBS23 same as eibach sportline work well with the PP.

My main question is I have read that people get an IMPROVED handling. I know the vehicle with be a little tougher and solid ride but I should have better handling.

Ex. On a tight right hand turn such as an entry/exit RAND if I hug it right and give it gas. The Car wants to pull out of the turn meaning the front and wasn’t to shoot out left rather than dive into the turn.

Like I said I have not had the car aligned yet it is currently getting and alignment as we speak. I’m hoping this is the issue?

Also and recommendation on other components/upgrades for better handling?

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I've dropped two S550s now, mine and a friend's, and both were around 4 hours. If I were to do a third, I think I maybe could do it in 3 hours with a better spring compressor. I can't imagine doing it in 2 hours without help, not even with a lift....

Price was a little steep, alignment required.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I'd pay that price if it included more parts installed AND a proper four wheel alignment with some sort of "warranty" (free alignments for a year?). It shouldn't take a competent shop 7-8 hours for a spring job by any means.

Me installing springs, shocks, struts, and CB005 and the first time I ever worked on a car took under 8 hours all together. I know that is a long time for the job, but that is just some perspective. A complete newbie did the job in the same amount of time as your shop. Second time when I swapped my springs it was about 3 hours so even that would be high for a skilled shop.

AlphaCoyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/ PP, 2018 Honda Accord 1.5 Sport
DANG! I paid $250 for my install and that included the alignment.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Short answer: yes. ~$400 is about all you should expect for a fair price from a shop with all the tools needed. It took about 5 hours on my car with two guys that hadn't done it on this car before. It took 4 on the next one I helped a friend with.
Sponsored