Sponsored

DFB - how'd I do

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
@DFB5.0

Ok, this isn't S550, but as far as body cleanup/detail/compound/wax/polish tech, I'd like your opinion...

I could not get very good before pics of what I was trying to get as the subject image - but the context of the subject matter is black paint that was full of surface scratches and a lot of spider webbing...

- Machine:
Porter Cable 7424

- Pads (Lake Country foam):
Various 6" cutting/polishing pads. Started with firmest cutting pad and worked down to finest for polishing. Followed up by lambs wool final cleanup pad (I always use this after hand wiping with microfiber).

- Cutting product:
Griots Garage Fast Correction Cream (for removal of severe paint defects) BOSS Best of Show System.

Final Polish:
Zaino Pro (Z2) Show Car Polish

NOTE:
I'm not a pro-detailer like yourself, but have always used similar processes on my Mustangs... This is the first time I've had a Mustang with as bad of neglect to the body/paint. This is what I have done so far; probably could be a lot better by a Pro-Detailer's standards and I'm sure there's gonna be nitpicking of the images (LOL!!!), but in general terms does it look better then what I started with? 🤔 :)

I did the entire car - but the top surface images seen here is best I could get to really show the overall neglect of the paint... All of the black panels were just as bad overall like the top surfaces seen in these images.

I spent 1.5 days on the entire body... with most of that time and focus being on primary color black, as that showed the most visible defects.

Even though not an S550, it goes to show that same effort could be used on dark color S550's for restoring paint or paint correction.

E41D0FA3-E4B3-47E2-A06D-72719254295C.jpeg
645EF29F-B178-456F-A276-64FCABED2DBD.jpeg
7F40A719-F18A-44C1-83CD-507F183F88B6.jpeg
315BFEAC-B9E4-4DA2-9C57-52FBBD0CBCA4.jpeg

36633967-0EC7-4DAD-AD8F-47FD387F52C9.jpeg
927D1882-8A82-4BDF-8C83-2A33000340D4.jpeg
2490126E-C0EC-4A97-B0D7-A9ACD726AE3C.jpeg
5927D14A-3C16-409E-9B9A-41CC99A53028.jpeg

BB313454-E516-465F-922C-56EB5BDFA424.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
It looks repainted. Good work ! Do mine next lol

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
@DFB5.0

Ok, this isn't S550, but as far as body cleanup/detail/compound/wax/polish tech, I'd like your opinion...

I could not get very good before pics of what I was trying to get as the subject image - but the context of the subject matter is black paint that was full of surface scratches and a lot of spider webbing...

- Machine:
Porter Cable 7424

- Pads (Lake Country foam):
Various 6" cutting/polishing pads. Started with firmest cutting pad and worked down to finest for polishing. Followed up by lambs wool final cleanup pad (I always use this after hand wiping with microfiber).

- Cutting product:
Griots Garage Fast Correction Cream (for removal of severe paint defects) BOSS Best of Show System.

Final Polish:
Zaino Pro (Z2) Show Car Polish

NOTE:
I'm not a pro-detailer like yourself, but have always used similar processes on my Mustangs... This is the first time I've had a Mustang with as bad of neglect to the body/paint. This is what I have done so far; probably could be a lot better by a Pro-Detailer's standards and I'm sure there's gonna be nitpicking of the images (LOL!!!), but in general terms does it look better then what I started with? 🤔 :)

I did the entire car - but the top surface images seem here is best I could get to really show the overall neglect of the paint... All of the black panels were just as bad overall like the top surfaces seen in these images.

I spent 1.5 days on the entire body... with most of that time and focus being on primary color black, as that showed the most visible defects.

Even though not an S550, it goes to show that same effort could be used on dark color S550's for restoring paint or paint correction.
Well done you! :clap:

I wish we had access to Griots in Australia, I have heard only good things about their Fast Correcting Creme.

In the sense that I don't make a full time living from detailing, I'm not a pro either. But you don't have to be a Pro-Detailer to enjoy the process or get results you are happy with.

My S650 will have the black package with a painted black roof, I'm not entirely sure how I will deal with that.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I had been driving the garage queen quite a lot this past week due to the total absence of precipitation for DAYS (with heat indexes above 120 no less,) and she was mighty dusty. Gave her a good coating of Elixir when I finished and she looks brand new again.

BTW, I added these Archetype Racing Hyperion Uprights (GT4 Mustang copy,) to raise the wing a few inches more than factory. This photo gives you an idea of how much taller they are. I started with the higher AOA setting but after a few days I decided it was too aggressive looks-wise so I lowered it to the other setting.

1687083825108.png

And here she is, all shiny again.

1687083638692.png

Forgot to add that after coating the wheels with Elixir, I decided to give Perl another try on the tires. I'm thinking I like the slightly less shiny result over Wolfgang's Rubber and Vinyl Protectant. Still use it on the Husky mats though, it's perfect for that and the aero as well as interior.

1687085980146.png

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:
OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Well done you! :clap:

I wish we had access to Griots in Australia, I have heard only good things about their Fast Correcting Creme.

In the sense that I don't make a full time living from detailing, I'm not a pro either. But you don't have to be a Pro-Detailer to enjoy the process or get results you are happy with.

My S650 will have the black package with a painted black roof, I'm not entirely sure how I will deal with that.
So I did pretty well then? :) Black paint is extremely hard to do. I have owned a few black vehicles in the past, but none had paint this neglected.

All I can say is, for anyone who has never used a PC 7424 or similar machines for detail work and levels of pads; definitely invest in a "system". It cuts out on the manual effort so much and ends with excellent results. I've had my PC for at least a good 15+ years now and will never go back to manual compounding/waxing etc.

DFB you're not a Pro-Detaier or are you kidding? Your threads on here are great and beneficial to all of us - always excellent detail tech and Products/tools to review. Even your images of vehicles you have detailed, they look better than brand new!

Last edited:

DadzMach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
So I did pretty well then? :) Black paint is extremely hard to do. I have owned a few black vehicles in the past, but none had paint this neglected.

All I can say is, for anyone who has never used a PC 7424 or similar machines for detail work and levels of pads; definitely invest in one a "system". It cuts out on the manual effort so much and ends with excellent results. I've had my PC for at least a good 15+ years now and will never go back to manual compounding/waxing etc.

DFB you're not a Pro-Detaier or are you kidding? Your threads on here are great and beneficial to all of us - always excellent detail tech and Products/tools to review. Even your images of vehicles you have detailed, they look better than brand new!
You did a great job, especially for a black car!
Sponsored