Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Setting car up for next year.

2016 Mustang GT
305/30/19 tires
Coilovers (divorced rear with MMI adjusters)

Trying to get a ballpark for ride heights.

I measured my wife's stock gtpp

From bottom wheel lip to fender is
25.75F and 25.5 rear.

Mine is 24.5F and 24.75R

From pinch weld I'm at 4" front and 4.75 rear. Almost seems like I should bring the rear down about 0.5"

1. Similar cars...where do you reference measure for ride heights (bottom wheel lip to fender? Hub centerline to fender? Top lip to fender? Pinch weld to ground?)

2. Anyone wanna share values?

Trying to learn here.

Thanks and Merry Happy Whatever you celebrate.
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase

2016 Mustang GT
305/30/19 tires

25.75F and 25.5 rear.

Mine is 24.5F and 24.75R

From pinch weld I'm at 4" front and 4.75 rear. Almost seems like I should bring the rear down about 0.5"

1. Similar cars...where do you reference measure for ride heights (bottom wheel lip to fender? Hub centerline to fender? Top lip to fender? Pinch weld to ground?)

Trying to learn here.

from center of the wheel hub to the fender, I’m at 14.5 (front) and ~14.65 (rear). In theory, that should be about 3/4” lower than stock.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
This is how we measure ride height here at Steeda:

OP
OP

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
That's how I've usually measured, but like everything else, there are a ton of "opinions".

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
i move my fenders around too much up front to be reliable, so i've always taken measurements off the pinch welds. 3" front, 3.75" rear on the 315 A052s. have experimented with less rake, but with the existing (significant) stagger in front/rear wheel rates, coupled with a very stiff FSB, introduces too much understeer.

all that said, after breaking my splitter twice this season under heavy braking, and spending too much time on the internal bumpstops in the rear, i'm probably going to raise my A052 overall heights 0.5" for 2021.

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I measure from the bottom of the fender to the top of the rim. It's easier for me to get a repeatable number by doing it this way. Trying to go to the wheel center is difficult because it's not necessarily a straight line & it's tricky to find the center of the wheel.

If you change wheel sizes, then this measurement will vary, but it's an easy, relatively precise way to measure ride height.

BTW, if you can get both F & R the same side to side with square corner weights, your car is a unicorn. Those 4 points rarely sit in a single plane. I make sure front ride heights are the same side-to-side and take whatever chassis twist that exists across the rear.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I measure from the bottom of the fender to the top of the rim. It's easier for me to get a repeatable number by doing it this way. Trying to go to the wheel center is difficult because it's not necessarily a straight line & it's tricky to find the center of the wheel.

If you change wheel sizes, then this measurement will vary, but it's an easy, relatively precise way to measure ride height.

BTW, if you can get both F & R the same side to side with square corner weights, your car is a unicorn. Those 4 points rarely sit in a single plane. I make sure front ride heights are the same side-to-side and take whatever chassis twist that exists across the rear.
Measuring to the wheel lip is just not repeatable for comparing with other people's cars (unless they have the same wheels), since different wheels with the same radius don't often have the same lips designs on the face of the wheel.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Completely true. If you really want to know ride height, you're probably going to be spending time on your belly with snap gauges, because fender stamping can vary, they can be hung any number of ways with respect to the subframes and wheels, as you say, can vary quite a bit.

This is just my quick & dirty way to maintain some version of consistency.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
That's how I've usually measured, but like everything else, there are a ton of "opinions".
Yes, after many measurements that were relayed to us ... we wanted to create a consistent solution to measure :)

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP

2016 Mustang GT
305/30/19 tires

25.75F and 25.5 rear.

Mine is 24.5F and 24.75R

Trying to learn here.

Apologies for the late reply - I was swapping springs over the holidays and didn't catch this thread until now. I measure from the wheel opening lip to the center of the wheel, pretty much the Steeda way. I actually measure to the top and bottom of the center cap, then find the average. It's easier to catch the edge of the center cap than guestimate the dead center of the cap/hub. I've got SVE GT-7 wheels in 19x10 and 19x11 - two sets that I run square with 285/35 and 305/30 respectively.

For my EBPP+Magneride, the stock ride height was 15.06" F / 15.19" R measuring to center of wheel/hub. That's 25.44" F / 25.56" R to the bottom of the wheel lip.

I replaced the EBPP springs with 2019 GT350R springs and the rear dropped by about 1/8" - she sits at 15.06" F/R to center of wheel now - 25.44: to bottom of wheel lip.

I haven't checked ground clearance from pinch weld yet - or at least not in any detailed way. I know she barely clears the 3.5" Quickjacks with a lift block in place, so I'm guessing around 4" of ground clearance.

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
It's a bit tricky to get a good number to wheel center. With the wheels (& center caps) I have, I end up eye-balling it. Maybe the way to do it is get a number to the top & bottom of the center cap hole(at least there's an edge to measure) & average.

OP
OP

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Bottom of the wheel to arch seems to work well. or top of wheel to arch

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Bottom of the wheel to arch seems to work well. or top of wheel to arch
Top of the wheel to the arch is easy & repeatable, but, as many have mentioned, wheels vary enough to make this a difficult apples-to-apples comparison between cars.

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
Can someone explain why it is recommended on these chassis to run some rake? Why is it not as viable to run it "flat" and tune spring rates and bars accordingly to get the balance you desire?

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Can someone explain why it is recommended on these chassis to run some rake? Why is it not as viable to run it "flat" and tune spring rates and bars accordingly to get the balance you desire?
Rake is just one of the spices in a soup that can be made many different ways.
Sponsored