Tubalkayne

First Time Mustang Owner
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Steeda PP, Competition Orange,
So I was practicing my clay bar technique on my wife's Mitsubishi before I use it on inferno and I must say I was impressed (so was the wife) with how well it restored the paint and removed all the nasty contaminants. So when I was finished with about half the car I decided to wrap it up for the day, as I was backing out I clipped the mailbox and put a nice DEEP scratch into the side of the Outlander. It's through the pain but not the primer, can someone give me advice to fix this?
Sponsored

JTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Ecoboost
Possible wet sand.

njarmstrong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
Many choice, all will depend on the size and severity of the scratch. Options could range from an application cycle with Langka or similar product, to wet sanding, up to a panel respray. Some photos might help narrow that down. You need to basically level the paint, by either filling the void, or removing paint around the void. Depending on depth you might get close to a correction, but not perfect with some mild wet sanding followed by a 2 or 3 step compounding.

65ffr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 Ram 1500, '65 FFR Cobra
if the scratch is only in the clearcoat and didn't get to the base, you may be able to just wetsand/buff. If you broke thru the clearcoat into the base you can't. The base is the actual color. If you can actually see primer you broke thru obviously.

Sponsored

stulaw11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds from the post like it went through the color (paint) to the primer. No way to get the paint back other than use touchup paint or repaint that panel. There is no buffing out/sanding that can be done.

OP
OP

Tubalkayne

First Time Mustang Owner
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
I'll get some pictures tomorrow and post them, it is through the clear coat but I'm not 100% sure if it is through the paint.

OP
OP

Tubalkayne

First Time Mustang Owner
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
:doh: I forgot it fixes everything.

Endokendal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Ruby Red
Did you try spitting on the rag before buffing it?
Sponsored