Dealership service experience

Point45

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Vehicle(s)
19 gt350, 05 tacoma, 10 Ducati 1098SF
This being one of a few special cars I've owned I'm always nervous taking this kind of vehicle in for service. (Joy rides, overlooking special maintenance requirements, etc.)

I didn't find a thread on dealer service experiences for shelbys, and to be honest this being my first domestic car I was worried the service would be lacking. Even when I had my f type it was just ok and it took 2 days for an oil change, also they would wash it when I explicitly told them not to (honestly their sales department was what turned me off on the brand.)

So for me in socal, North oc. Mccoy mills is so far pretty good (first service). Didn't have to tell them no car wash, they asked me and it was adhered to. Correct wt oil and amount, service guy asked exactly how I wanted the car treated, knew about the staggered tires and asked if I just wanted them flipped which I declined. I know what is said by the service manager is not always what the tech does but it did give me some comfort.

I did not purchase the car from them.

I'm not picky, I just want the oil changed with the correct weight/amount and no wash, and expect the car not to be driven full throttle on a test run.

I was recommended ken grody at first as they apparently sell the most svt vehicles in ca but Mccoy is down the street from my office and I can walk back to work (with a detour at a local brewey)

Hopefully this helps anyone in North oc, I was 50/50 on just doing the maintenance myself but with my truck half taken apart in my driveway i decided I had enough on my plate.
Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Bought mine at Villa Ford. They are 150 miles from me so service is not a consideration.
That said, based on how we were treated and the knowledge of the staff, I wouldnā€™t hesitate to have them service my car. They even had the shifter recall taken care of before I took possession. They sell quite a few SVTā€™s as well.

OP
OP
Point45

Point45

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Vehicle(s)
Bought mine at Villa Ford. They are 150 miles from me so service is not a consideration.
That said, based on how we were treated and the knowledge of the staff, I wouldnā€™t hesitate to have them service my car. They even had the shifter recall taken care of before I took possession. They sell quite a few SVTā€™s as well.
Good to know, i know the service department and sales can be two very different experiences, so hopefully it's all run in a similafashion.n.

If anyone is local to fullerton, ca I used Art at mcoy as my service writer.

RichGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
This being one of a few special cars I've owned I'm always nervous taking this kind of vehicle in for service. (Joy rides, overlooking special maintenance requirements, etc.)

I didn't find a thread on dealer service experiences for shelbys, and to be honest this being my first domestic car I was worried the service would be lacking. Even when I had my f type it was just ok and it took 2 days for an oil change, also they would wash it when I explicitly told them not to (honestly their sales department was what turned me off on the brand.)

So for me in socal, North oc. Mccoy mills is so far pretty good (first service). Didn't have to tell them no car wash, they asked me and it was adhered to. Correct wt oil and amount, service guy asked exactly how I wanted the car treated, knew about the staggered tires and asked if I just wanted them flipped which I declined. I know what is said by the service manager is not always what the tech does but it did give me some comfort.

I did not purchase the car from them.

I'm not picky, I just want the oil changed with the correct weight/amount and no wash, and expect the car not to be driven full throttle on a test run.

I was recommended ken grody at first as they apparently sell the most svt vehicles in ca but Mccoy is down the street from my office and I can walk back to work (with a detour at a local brewey)

Hopefully this helps anyone in North oc, I was 50/50 on just doing the maintenance myself but with my truck half taken apart in my driveway i decided I had enough on my plate.
Thanks for sharing your experience.. I have my first oil change next Saturday with a New Dealership. The dealership that I have dealt with for over (30) years couldnā€™t find me the car I wanted. These guys came through so, Iā€™m going to try them out.

I talked to the service manager yesterday when I scheduled the appointment and I did voice some concerns.. I told him that I will not leave the car, I want to stay and wait for it and no test drives. Iā€™m only in for an oil change. He told me not to worry and they would take care of me.

Letā€™s see how it goes! Iā€™ll let you guys know my experience after my visit! Wish me luck!

Best Regards!

Sponsored

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
...if it's just an oil change, why not take it to an oil
change shop?
All of them around where I live, you stay in the car.

I worried about this when I had my '20 Challenger, so no
one was gonna drive that beast but me.

The Valvoline place I use logs into CarFax and the service is
uploaded to the web site so there is a record.
Even if there is a certain service, they have a notification for
it so you can be aware of it.

When this '21 is ready, it'll go to the Valvoline place................... :like:

IMG_0459.JPG

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I live in SoCal and whoever recommended Ken Grody is wrong. Those guys are arrogant assholes. They donā€™t even return phone calls for a supercharger install. Iā€™m not sure why you would be worried about a joy ride for an oil change especially if youā€™re waiting for the car. Which I always would. I bought my car at Tustin Ford and they even recommended not getting a car wash when I am there.

OP
OP
Point45

Point45

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Vehicle(s)
...if it's just an oil change, why not take it to an oil
change shop?
All of them around where I live, you stay in the car.

I worried about this when I had my '20 Challenger, so no
one was gonna drive that beast but me.

The Valvoline place I use logs into CarFax and the service is
uploaded to the web site so there is a record.
Even if there is a certain service, they have a notification for
it so you can be aware of it.

When this '21 is ready, it'll go to the Valvoline place................... :like:
I wouldnt take my lawnmower to a quick lube place.

I live in SoCal and whoever recommended Ken Grody is wrong. Those guys are arrogant assholes. They donā€™t even return phone calls for a supercharger install. Iā€™m not sure why you would be worried about a joy ride for an oil change especially if youā€™re waiting for the car. Which I always would. I bought my car at Tustin Ford and they even recommended not getting a car wash when I am there.

Arrogant because they didnt return a call? Little harsh, I didnt wait for the oil change, dropped it off in the morning and went to work. Picked it up during my lunch. Also for a wait there appointment I would have had to wait a few weeks.

I know enough people that work in the car industry where porters defiantly take cars for joy rides, my buddy had an m3 wrecked because of that. I also dont valet my cars.

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase

Arrogant because they didnt return a call? Little harsh, I didnt wait for the oil change, dropped it off in the morning and went to work. Picked it up during my lunch. Also for a wait there appointment I would have had to wait a few weeks.

I know enough people that work in the car industry where porters defiantly take cars for joy rides, my buddy had an m3 wrecked because of that. I also dont valet my cars.
Yes arrogant. Several calls to their specialty area. They didnā€™t want to do the job because I didnā€™t buy the fucking car from them. Enough said. When Iā€™m doing an oil change I have eyes on my car at all times so if youā€™re worried about porters go sit in the car.

Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)

Want to kill a night? This is one of many.

OP
OP
Point45

Point45

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Vehicle(s)
Yes arrogant. Several calls to their specialty area. They didnā€™t want to do the job because I didnā€™t buy the fucking car from them. Enough said. When Iā€™m doing an oil change I have eyes on my car at all times so if youā€™re worried about porters go sit in the car.
Which is why it's important to find a good shop, a place with work environment that won't tolerate that kind of behavior and you can drop off the car and not worry.

If they told you they didn't want to work on the car because you didn't buy it from them that is unfortunate but in socal there's so many shops and dealers I would just try the next business. Though for aftermarket parts, especially major engine mods that mess with emissions in ca most dealers won't touch it. I've always just installed it myself or find a specialty shop for major engine mods/tunes.

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline

...me either.
However, I'll take my car(s).
Too far to drive my lawnmower.

RichGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
I may have caught a break. One of the sponsors of the forum is where Iā€™m going to have my first service with a new dealership.

We pmā€™d back and forth and he knows the issues most of us have had with how are Cars are handled. He blasted off an email to his service team to take care of my car. He has a GT500 so he knows first hand what our cars are about.

Iā€™m more comfortable with my appointment now.

Iā€™ll follow up with the results.

As always, Be Well!

Big Ernie McCracken

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2021 Charger Scat Pack, 2013 Silverado
I needed to get an oil consumption test back in March and I decided to drive about 40 minutes away to a dealership that had a performance service division. I felt that was the best option compared to my local dealership. They said they have one guy that works on the performance cars and that they needed to do an oil change before to start the test and mark the dipstick. I waited while they did the work and then I checked the dipstick to make sure oil was where it needed to be. It rained all the way home and when I pulled into my garage I instantly smelled oil. I knew at that point the under shield probably had oil all over and it did. Some was dripping out a little since they didnā€™t clean it up. I also noticed the texture valve cover where the oil fill is, had oil slopped over it, not even cleaned off from them spilling some. So much for going to a dealership that had special area for performance cars and they still canā€™t do the simple stuff correct. What an embarrassment on them.
Sponsored