Sponsored

Dealer Cant figure out codes....

Memphis-EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Impact Blue Ecoboost
So, when I bought my car from the dealer, the active shutters had been removed already no codes, haven't had codes for three years, and now it is complaining about a failure to get response from the active shutters.... Does anyone have any ideas? I have taken it into the dealer three times and they have no idea.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
So, when I bought my car from the dealer, the active shutters had been removed already no codes, haven't had codes for three years, and now it is complaining about a failure to get response from the active shutters.... Does anyone have any ideas? I have taken it into the dealer three times and they have no idea.

Thanks in advance
First off , you should post the codes . As for how the shutter grille works , the pcm needs to see the motor. So if the grille is removed , my bet is the motor is still there . The problem is that the motor is still actually considered a module . Problem is , it can not be scanned . It works over a Lin network that can not be read by a scan tool . If I recall the generator uses the same network. But hay a code would help to narrow it down

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
Confusing post. The car is throwing codes for active grile shutters and the dealer can't read them? Doesn't know what they mean? Or they don't know how to fix them?

OP
OP

Memphis-EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Confusing post. The car is throwing codes for active grille shutters and the dealer can't read them? Doesn't know what they mean? Or they don't know how to fix them?
Sorry for Delay, its been a crazy few weeks-I apologize for the lack of details, I was really frustrated when I wrote the initial post and not thinking clearly.

Codes were P0035 (Turbocharger/supercharger Valve A control Circuit High) and U0284 (Lost Communications with Grill Shutter and Control module A)

The dealers couldn't figure out why the car was throwing the codes. Mechanic said the absence of the Grille shutters should not throw a code, and they couldn't find any mechanical reasons/faults for either of the codes.

NOW..... I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this, but I hit a pothole two days ago and the lights went off and haven't come back on....Don't know if this counts as a resolution..

Car has been acting really weird lately, locks will just start locking unlocking for a couple minutes, head unit will go black until car is turned off and turned back on, and on two occasions it has shut down on the highway with every code on the dash lighting up while the nav voice cycles through whatever the last command was. Pull over turn the car on again and no lights, runs fine for the next month. Sometimes the bluetooth wont sync for two days and then it works again (Yes even after rebooting my phone) and other times the seats wont remember the positions in memory on start or off, little odd things. It's really starting to annoy me. I have a call to the manager of the dealership, kind of at the point where I am tempted to take advantage of the currently jacked up bluebook and trade it in and let them figure it out on there own time.

Please note, dealership has been throwing everything the have at it, running diagnostics, doing 100 mile test drives (with my permission) giving me free shuttle rides etc and hasn't charged me a dime despite it being out of warranty.

RichGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
Sorry for Delay, its been a crazy few weeks-I apologize for the lack of details, I was really frustrated when I wrote the initial post and not thinking clearly.

Codes were P0035 (Turbocharger/supercharger Valve A control Circuit High) and U0284 (Lost Communications with Grill Shutter and Control module A)

The dealers couldn't figure out why the car was throwing the codes. Mechanic said the absence of the Grille shutters should not throw a code, and they couldn't find any mechanical reasons/faults for either of the codes.

NOW..... I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this, but I hit a pothole two days ago and the lights went off and haven't come back on....Don't know if this counts as a resolution..

Car has been acting really weird lately, locks will just start locking unlocking for a couple minutes, head unit will go black until car is turned off and turned back on, and on two occasions it has shut down on the highway with every code on the dash lighting up while the nav voice cycles through whatever the last command was. Pull over turn the car on again and no lights, runs fine for the next month. Sometimes the bluetooth wont sync for two days and then it works again (Yes even after rebooting my phone) and other times the seats wont remember the positions in memory on start or off, little odd things. It's really starting to annoy me. I have a call to the manager of the dealership, kind of at the point where I am tempted to take advantage of the currently jacked up bluebook and trade it in and let them figure it out on there own time.

Please note, dealership has been throwing everything the have at it, running diagnostics, doing 100 mile test drives (with my permission) giving me free shuttle rides etc and hasn't charged me a dime despite it being out of warranty.
Did you happen to name your car “Christine”?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Memphis-EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you happen to name your car “Christine”?
Well she hasn't killed me yet and none of my neighbors have disappeared.. I have considered an exorcism though.

Actually named her Mad Moxxi.

RichGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
Well she hasn't killed me yet and none of my neighbors have disappeared.. I have considered an exorcism though.

Actually named her Mad Moxxi.
That’s Good! I hope someone can help you find an answer! Good Luck! And Best Regards!

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Sounds like ground issues. Good luck.

OP
OP

Memphis-EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I will be the first to admit that wiring is still a mysterious form of magic, what would be the procedure for searching for a grounding issue? Is it something that could be done through the OBD II scanner or are we talking running a voltmeter on ever wire?

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
Easiest thing to do first is just perform a KAM reset. Pretty easy to do, search for it.
What's the condition of your battery? Is it original? If not, when was it replaced? Low voltage can cause the s550 mustangs to do many, many weird things. And these cars chew through batteries like nothing else. Mine is not a daily driver so it sits for most of the week. In that state, my car totally ate a new battery in 1 year. Modern cars are never truly 'off' and if you've got things like the enhanced security package like I do, all it takes is for something to move in the cabin or walk by the door for all sorts of modules to wake up and activate. I bought a Battery Tender Jr. so I never have to deal w that again. But these cars, depending on options, have the most parasitic drain I've ever witnessed on any car. I know that was a bit off topic, but weak battery/low voltage might explain those electrical gremlins you're experiencing.

Last edited:

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
What's the condition of your battery? Is it original? If not, when was it replaced? Low voltage can cause the s550 mustangs to do many, many weird things.
I would first look into this.

So I will be the first to admit that wiring is still a mysterious form of magic, what would be the procedure for searching for a grounding issue?

The CAN bus system is after my time so the only thing I can say for sure is to clean every ground connection you can find.

OP
OP

Memphis-EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well a battery is cheaper than a new loan so I will have a load test done on the battery and check that out.

I don't see anything hanging under the car but I did have an encounter with some scrap metal truck load that fell on the road about a year ago just before this started, so I will ask them to check it out. Really appreciate the feedback people!

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
It really sounds like a battery or ground/wire problem.
Do have the battery checked first. Until you know the battery is good you'll just be spitting into the wind trying to troubleshoot anything electrical. And, FWIW, the correct way to load test a battery is to first fully charge it using a dedicated automotive battery charger, preferably out of the car.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Harness damage/rub thru or loose ground is my guess
I would say that for sure - especially if just driving over a pothole caused the lights to go out...
Sponsored