Dead clutch Pedal

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
I know there are other threads out there regarding this issue but I'm hoping to get more insight than what I've read. I have a '17 GT with 19k miles on it. Some mornings when I start my car, the clutch pedal is down tot the floor and I have to sit there pumping the pedal until it comes back up. The pedal starts to come back up quick when I take off the master cylinder cap. The thing is when I start driving, the cutch pedal is fine and it operates like it should. This makes it difficult to take to a dealer because they cannot replicate the problem. Its just annoying coming to your car in the monring and not knowing what you're going to get. Is it possible there is air in there that accumulates over time? Is there another way to bleed the clutch without using the pedal?

I have replaced the platic line to the master cylinder with the Steeda upgrade kit and I have replaced the clutch line with a stainless one. The fluid in the resoviorstays at the max line.

I know I am still covered under warranty but I would like to void the dealer if I can.

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If they can’t replicate the problem on a warm “drop off”, then tell them to keep the car 2 days and have them do exactly what you do... Go to the car when it’s bone cold and try to use the clutch. If it fails for you in this manner it should do the same for them.

Also it’s possible that:
1) There is air in the system.
2) The hydraulic throw out bearing is failing or defective.

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
If they can’t replicate the problem on a warm “drop off”, then tell them to keep the car 2 days and have them do exactly what you do... Go to the car when it’s bone cold and try to use the clutch. If it fails for you in this manner it should do the same for them.

Also it’s possible that:
1) There is air in the system.
2) The hydraulic throw out bearing is failing or defective.
Thank you very much for your response. So my first guess is air in the system which is what im hoping. Is there a more efficient way to get it out of the system other than pumping the pedal? I've seen a vacuum bleeder but when i took it to the dealer they said they didn't have one.

ModularKid21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Sometimes when hydraulic parts fail, they introduce air into the system. So even if you bleed it, there’s a good chance it’ll come back. Sounds to me like your throw out bearing is taking a dump

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Sometimes when hydraulic parts fail, they introduce air into the system. So even if you bleed it, there’s a good chance it’ll come back. Sounds to me like your throw out bearing is taking a dump
Hoping that’s not the issue but I’ll try to vacuum bleed it and see for a couple days

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
@Biggsy

Here ya go, check out this thread and scroll down a few you’ll see I posted the PDFs for proper clutch bleeding:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...aulic-clutch-system.79043/page-2#post-2805513

If after you bleed the system the issue persists, then the hydraulic system has a breach.

Also to note, the member who started that thread eventually found out that his slave cylinder had failed - which could be your issue.
Thank you very much! I saw your posts last night and will make a visit to harbor freight after work today to pick up a vacuum bleeder.

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Welp I did it about an hour ago. Pedal feel is great. It kept the pressure for several minutes so I’m assuming that’s a good sign. Let’s see how it is in the morning.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Hey Warren if you want to show the dealer what's happening just take a video of it. That should get around the 'can't replicate issue' issue.

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Hey Warren if you want to show the dealer what's happening just take a video of it. That should get around the 'can't replicate issue' issue.
Thanks for the tip! I took the car in for this reason about a year ago and I know I took video of it to show them. They didn't seem too interested. I cant remember if I left the car there overnight or for a few hours. Upon pickup, I was told by the service advisor that they had several techs who also have mustangs drive the car and was unable to detect a problem. It seemed as though I was talking crazy (my word vs their guys) and don't know anything about driving a manual. Me not being able to get into first gear in the morning says otherwise.

I will take it to another dealer if the problem persists.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Well this morning everything felt good. One thing that COULD have been an issue is that there is a gasket in the reservoir cap to help seal the master cylinder. My gasket fell out of the cap a long time ago but I never knew where it was suppose to go. I realized it goes into the cap so maybe that will prevent air from getting out.

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
So I got a new reservoir cap from the dealer. Installed it last week and used the vacuum pump. Don't want to speak so soon but it seems to have been fixed. No dead pedal!

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
So I got a new reservoir cap from the dealer. Installed it last week and used the vacuum pump. Don't want to speak so soon but it seems to have been fixed. No dead pedal!
Check the clutch feed line from the master reservoir as well, if it comes loose it can suck air.

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Probably should've updated my findings.

SO the cap didn't work. But I did a Brake fluid flush and fill before my track event and I dont have any issues. I guess there was too much air in the old fluid. I had the original fluid in there for 2 years (21k miles) so I guess it was time. I think I will try to empty the clutch line which probably still has the old fluid.
Sponsored