Sponsored

Dead battery, need help with some questions

Mycelus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Mustang GT
Hey all. Will try to keep this short. I bought a 2014 GT in Oct 2019. It has been sitting in my garage. It gets very cold here, and expectedly, the battery is dead. The key FOB wont even unlock the doors, so I take it the battery is fully drained.

I bought a Noco Genius1 charger/tender. I have a Motorcraft AZ BXT-96R battery in it. Research tells me this is an OEM battery. I do not know what TYPE of battery this is (AGM, Lithium, wet-cell etc.) nor how many "Ah" it is.

My Noco Genius1 unit has 4 modes. 12V, 12V AGM, 12V Lithium and a 6V.

I know my battery is 12V, but don't know anything more. Research came up empty. I have been "charging" it on 12V mode for about 14 hrs, and still no luck.

Any ideas?
Sponsored

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
Hey all. Will try to keep this short. I bought a 2014 GT in Oct 2019. It has been sitting in my garage. It gets very cold here, and expectedly, the battery is dead. The key FOB wont even unlock the doors, so I take it the battery is fully drained.

I bought a Noco Genius1 charger/tender. I have a Motorcraft AZ BXT-96R battery in it. Research tells me this is an OEM battery. I do not know what TYPE of battery this is (AGM, Lithium, wet-cell etc.) nor how many "Ah" it is.

My Noco Genius1 unit has 4 modes. 12V, 12V AGM, 12V Lithium and a 6V.

I know my battery is 12V, but don't know anything more. Research came up empty. I have been "charging" it on 12V mode for about 14 hrs, and still no luck.

Any ideas?

It's probably got the original battery in it and it's time to replace it. Try Costco, they have Interstate batteries at a great price point. Good luck.

OP
OP
Mycelus

Mycelus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Mustang GT
It's probably got the original battery in it and it's time to replace it. Try Costco, they have Interstate batteries at a great price point. Good luck.
Time to replace it due to it being left in the cold and dying? Doesn't explain why it's not charging?

It was working fine when I brought it home. The battery was good. It just died due to sitting in the cold.

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
Time to replace it due to it being left in the cold and dying? Doesn't explain why it's not charging?

It was working fine when I brought it home. The battery was good. It just died due to sitting in the cold.
If it's the original battery, it's been in service around 7 years. It's done for. I've had batteries last close to 7 years and that's considered really good. Time to buy a new one. A dead battery will NOT accept and maintain a charge.

OP
OP
Mycelus

Mycelus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Mustang GT
If it's the original battery, it's been in service around 7 years. It's done for. I've had batteries last close to 7 years and that's considered really good. Time to buy a new one. A dead battery will NOT accept and maintain a charge.
That definitely makes sense. I am happy to get a new battery, but would still like to learn how/where I can understand what TYPE of battery (chemistry of the battery) it is.

Sponsored

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
That definitely makes sense. I am happy to get a new battery, but would still like to learn how/where I can understand what TYPE of battery (chemistry of the battery) it is.

More than likely a typical lead acid battery. May or may not be maintenance free.

OP
OP
Mycelus

Mycelus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Mustang GT
More than likely a typical lead acid battery. May or may not be maintenance free.
Someone on a different forum is saying wet-cell battery which would use the 12V.

I am looking at getting an Interstate battery from Costco.

Sponsored

Chad1986

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
X2 on an AGM battery! Check specs on batteries, there is more than just cold cranking amps. Amp hours etc all make a difference, and in a cold climate spending a few dollars more on a better battery will be more than worth it. Do something research, I prefer AGM batteries myself.
Sponsored