DCT would you if you could?

DCT would you?

• Total voters

NHman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
For me, even it a dual-clutch transmission (DCT, DSG, PDK, etc.) was offered with the GT350 as a no cost option, I would take a pass. I certainly wouldn't consider spending $8k for a retrofit.

For my 2013 M3, I ordered it with the DCT. Perfect match for that engine. Great car but I always missed the engagement of a MT. Purchased a 2016 M4 with the competition package, ordered it with a MT. Salesperson and his manager tried to convince me the DCT was the better choice (faster, best of both worlds, etc.). Said no, I would rather have driver engagement. I never regretted it. The day I posted it for sale, I had a buyer within 6 hours. No exaggeration. Why did it sell so quickly, MT.

MT, like a NA V8, is rapidly fading away from new vehicles. I will continue to be in the minority and buy them while I can.

Hawkspring

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darrin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 2017F450
My balanced view, I don't want or need it in the GT350. However, I had it in my 2010 E90 M3. I had just come off two modified/supercharged Mustangs with manuals and was ready for a car that worked well as a package. It was very cool. By altering the shift intensity through the scale of options it would either shift lazily, or do a raunchy throttle blip on downshifts and put you back in the seat hard on full throttle up shifts. Did I miss rowing the gears? yes. Did it matter to the overall experience of that car? No.

I don't mind it in the GT500, that's a lot of car and power to manage. I'm also not interested in that car or experience.

Sponsored

Dr. JL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R: GR227 and GR378
An automated manual (F-1 style) transmission is just like any other driver aid. The memory-postion seat, automatic up-down window, anti-lock brake, lane-keeping/collision mitigation system, etc. in consumer vehicles, is to ease the task of driving (and keep us alive). Like other posters have stated, I'm not aiming for the winner's circle when I drive my R. I'm aiming for the experience...that man-machine-road interface/interaction. If the machine drives for me or does some routine task for me, am I really in control? I really want to control my "drive" in the R (I know, I know...there's still some level of vehicle control hard at work in all GT350 driving modes). To seek that perfect brake point, down-shift, turn-in, apex and throttle-up is what makes us human. Life should not be a spectator sport; changing gears using three-quarters of your limbs helps prevent lethargy.

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
An automated manual (F-1 style) transmission is just like any other driver aid. The memory-postion seat, automatic up-down window, anti-lock brake, lane-keeping/collision mitigation system, etc. in consumer vehicles, is to ease the task of driving (and keep us alive). Like other posters have stated, I'm not aiming for the winner's circle when I drive my R. I'm aiming for the experience...that man-machine-road interface/interaction. If the machine drives for me or does some routine task for me, am I really in control? I really want to control my "drive" in the R (I know, I know...there's still some level of vehicle control hard at work in all GT350 driving modes). To seek that perfect brake point, down-shift, turn-in, apex and throttle-up is what makes us human. Life should not be a spectator sport; changing gears using three-quarters of your limbs helps prevent lethargy.
NICE!!!

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports. . . all others are games.- Ernest Hemingway

…..well, until the development of the DCT.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports. . . all others are games.- Ernest Hemingway

…..well, until the development of the DCT.
Formula anything, IMSA, Super Car series, Ferrari/Lamborghini/*insert random supercar manf'er name* Series, etc etc would beg to disagree with you. That being said some of those use sequentials. And being said, I'd still take a manual in my GT350.

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
Formula anything, IMSA, Super Car series, Ferrari/Lamborghini/*insert random supercar manf'er name* Series, etc etc would beg to disagree with you. That being said some of those use sequentials. And being said, I'd still take a manual in my GT350.
And the drivers all sit in front of video screens to practice their lines. Seriously, lighten up. :)
The site has become very confrontational lately. If I couldn't visit the Honeybadger's exploits, I probably would just stay away from here. Too much drama.
Sponsored